Hitches

Col and Debbie

Hi Col & Debbie

Don't know much about the pros and cons of the Hitch Easy,but we had the Hyland on our last Kedron and now have the earlier model DO35 on this Kedron and find the DO35 much easier to hitch up. The Hyland used to need a prod or two to let go, or connect. The DO35 is a smooth connection. Would definitely recommend it.

Hi Col & Debbie,

We've had the Hyland previously, it was OK but did get stuck on rare occasions, Now have the previous model DO35 & know of others who have the current DO45 and love it. It hooks up at any angle & releases without a problem. Very simple to use. I highly recommend it.

Glen

G`Day Bill

As long as you keep the pin polished, and clean the inside of the reciever occasionally(I use very fine sandpaper)then a very light squirt with silicone spray,then it is all good. ;)

Cheers

Rick

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I think I will go with the D045 as it is much less expensive than the Hitch Easy.

I have looked at the McHitch but had the same feedback about needing to be spot on when connecting. Also there are problems when using the Hayman Reese WDH which I would like to keep using.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards

Colin

G`Day Bill

As long as you keep the pin polished, and clean the inside of the reciever occasionally(I use very fine sandpaper)then a very light squirt with silicone spray,then it is all good. ;)

Cheers

Rick

Greetings all.

I have found with the McHitch if you lean on the alloy top as you let it down it will normally fall onto place and is a dream. We are on our second McHitch having fitted one to our last van.

Unless you are going really heavy ask that Kedron fit a 4.5 tonner. The difference being that the pin thread is a standard size (fits normal tow tongues) as opposed to the 6 tonner that has a 1/14" thread. The heads are the same for the 6 and the 4.5 ton.

The big advantage in this is that you can remove the pin and fit it to a standard tow bar to get out of trouble if your tow tug should break down. This happened to us with the old van and we had to use our ball on the tow truck so he could tow our van.

Love the McHitch. :D

Greetings all.

I have found with the McHitch if you lean on the alloy top as you let it down it will normally fall onto place and is a dream. We are on our second McHitch having fitted one to our last van.

Unless you are going really heavy ask that Kedron fit a 4.5 tonner. The difference being that the pin thread is a standard size (fits normal tow tongues) as opposed to the 6 tonner that has a 1/14" thread. The heads are the same for the 6 and the 4.5 ton.

The big advantage in this is that you can remove the pin and fit it to a standard tow bar to get out of trouble if your tow tug should break down. This happened to us with the old van and we had to use our ball on the tow truck so he could tow our van.

Love the McHitch. :D

The McHitch certainly gets my vote. Very easy operation and has a double lock on system to ensure it stays where it should

G`Day Folks

Re the McHitch.

I sent an email to Joe at McHitch this morning, re the supposed problems with the McHitch requesting some clarification on said rumours.

Here is his reply.

"On the subject of cracking we had a few claims of cracks developing

in the rear bodies of our original 3.5 tonne models which had the welded steel

rear bodies. These were all outside the warranty period but were replaced

immediately at no cost what so ever to the customer.

We were aware that all of the other off road couplings have had a continuing problem with fabricated welded

steel components developing stress fractures over time. In fact one company would only offer

rewelding of cracked components outside the 12 month warranty period to one

owner who contacted me. Our new 3.5/4.5/6 tonne platinum range of couplings utilise cast

components to avoid this problem while most other manufacturers to this day still use welded steel components.

The Kedron owner who contacted me had a 3.5 tonne coupling which was 2 years old.

We replaced the coupling as soon as I was contacted. No questions asked. Even when it was well

outside the warranty period.We went to great lengths to make sure he received it ASAP.

In fact I offered the owner a 6 tonne unit at no charge but it was decided to send him a new

platinum series 3.5 tonne unit so that it would change over easily with the offer of a 6 tonne

unit at no charge when he arrived home. He told me he had just travelled over a very rough road

with the WDH bars attached. Apparently he thought the road was in good condition but

found out it to be a rough bush track when it was too late to turn around.

As you know WDH bars are only to be used on straight level highways( Haman Reese

state this EXPLICITLY in their fitment instructions).

The other rear body we had crack in a similiar manner

was caused when the owner drove through a large "puddle", again, with WDH bars fitted.The hole was so deep

he became stranded when the rear wheels of his tow vehicle were off the ground.

Again we replaced it no questions asked.

At no time did we issue a recall on these couplings because all of the claims were caused by

other factors beyond our control, namely the incorrect and improper use of WDH systems in an off-road situation.

Regardless, like i mentioned above, they were replaced free of charge, even outside warranty period.

What other manufacturer would do that! :)

We have bent over backwards to make sure all of our customers are happy, and will continue to do so, but

at the same time we will not tolerate any mistruths being spread about our range of couplings.

On that point, with our new range of Platinum series couplings, we have not had a SINGLE warranty claim.

Including the 'older golder' 6 tonne models(the yellow ones). Not one.

Thanks again, thought it'd be best for you to hear the WHOLE story ;)

Regards Joe

0402 863 867

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Rick Avey wrote:

G`Day Joe

There is a strong rumour circulating that earlier model Mc Hithes are developing cracks in them and there has been a recall? Can you please give me the correct info on this “Story”

I purchased mine through Kedron on the7/9/2010 The number on it is K5GB22R if that is any help.

Cheers"

I hope that may relieve some angst out there.

We have been delighted with our 6T McHitch. Any issues or even points of discussion have been handled by Joe McGinnes (personally) in a most professional and very customer-service orientated manner.

A concern I had with mine following an over-enthusiastic high pressure greasing of the hitch head resulted in Joe McGinnes sending me an entire new 6T hitch all the way to Cooktown because he wanted to inspect my hitch although the problem had resolved itself and was no longer an issue. His comment was that they had not heard of the problem previously and although my hitch was then perfectly safe and 'normal', he insisted that for 'research and development purposes' he would like to inspect my old hitch personally. Not only that but he then sent me a full report of his findings!

Service, don't you think?

Incidentally, hitching and unhitching are a delight - at any angle or orientation of the vehicle (within reason, of course).

Cheers

Brian

G`Day Folks

Re the McHitch.

I sent an email to Joe at McHitch this morning, re the supposed problems with the McHitch requesting some clarification on said rumours.

Here is his reply.

"On the subject of cracking we had a few claims of cracks developing

in the rear bodies of our original 3.5 tonne models which had the welded steel

rear bodies. These were all outside the warranty period but were replaced

immediately at no cost what so ever to the customer.

We were aware that all of the other off road couplings have had a continuing problem with fabricated welded

steel components developing stress fractures over time. In fact one company would only offer

rewelding of cracked components outside the 12 month warranty period to one

owner who contacted me. Our new 3.5/4.5/6 tonne platinum range of couplings utilise cast

components to avoid this problem while most other manufacturers to this day still use welded steel components.

The Kedron owner who contacted me had a 3.5 tonne coupling which was 2 years old.

We replaced the coupling as soon as I was contacted. No questions asked. Even when it was well

outside the warranty period.We went to great lengths to make sure he received it ASAP.

In fact I offered the owner a 6 tonne unit at no charge but it was decided to send him a new

platinum series 3.5 tonne unit so that it would change over easily with the offer of a 6 tonne

unit at no charge when he arrived home. He told me he had just travelled over a very rough road

with the WDH bars attached. Apparently he thought the road was in good condition but

found out it to be a rough bush track when it was too late to turn around.

As you know WDH bars are only to be used on straight level highways( Haman Reese

state this EXPLICITLY in their fitment instructions).

The other rear body we had crack in a similiar manner

was caused when the owner drove through a large "puddle", again, with WDH bars fitted.The hole was so deep

he became stranded when the rear wheels of his tow vehicle were off the ground.

Again we replaced it no questions asked.

At no time did we issue a recall on these couplings because all of the claims were caused by

other factors beyond our control, namely the incorrect and improper use of WDH systems in an off-road situation.

Regardless, like i mentioned above, they were replaced free of charge, even outside warranty period.

What other manufacturer would do that! :)

We have bent over backwards to make sure all of our customers are happy, and will continue to do so, but

at the same time we will not tolerate any mistruths being spread about our range of couplings.

On that point, with our new range of Platinum series couplings, we have not had a SINGLE warranty claim.

Including the 'older golder' 6 tonne models(the yellow ones). Not one.

Thanks again, thought it'd be best for you to hear the WHOLE story ;)

Regards Joe

0402 863 867

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Rick Avey wrote:

G`Day Joe

There is a strong rumour circulating that earlier model Mc Hithes are developing cracks in them and there has been a recall? Can you please give me the correct info on this “Story”

I purchased mine through Kedron on the7/9/2010 The number on it is K5GB22R if that is any help.

Cheers"

I hope that may relieve some angst out there.

You can't do better than that - word from the horse's mouth. I have dealt with Joe McInnes and have found him to be very upfront and obliging. If he says that that's what happened, then I would have no hesitation in accepting it as truth.

Thanks Rick for posting this.

Cheers,

Bill

Greetings all.

A good reply from Joe Mcinnes, hopefully this will clear up and worries that anyone has with the McHitch.

For those that have not been made aware of the "no off road" use for the Hayman Reece WDH system by some supplyers, have a look at

http://www.haymanreese.com.au/safertowing/HR_Towingguide.htm highlighted section "Weight Distribution Systems are not recommended for off road use."

It is imperative that the bars are disconnected for off roading and to a lesser extent reversing. Not only the hitch but also the tow bar, draw bar and tow tug are in danger of sustaining damage with bars left on.

I personally do not believe that any forums should be used to bag any products what so ever, especially using second hand information or hearsay. Please be careful as we can leave not only ourselves open to legal action but the site can be held to account.

Cheers and a merry Christmas to all from the Kyd's.

I personally do not believe that any forums should be used to bag any products what so ever, especially using second hand information or hearsay. Please be careful as we can leave not only ourselves open to legal action but the site can be held to account.

Cheers and a merry Christmas to all from the Kyd's.

Totally agree Rod. I recall this same topic of conversation being contentious in the past, and an attempt to protect the members and the forum from legal action was attacked. I would suggest again that further discussions on contentious topics should take place in the Members Forum.

Well said friends from (temporarily) the land of the long white cloud

Good info needs to be shared with the public but when we get down and dirty and also to the nitty gritty do it on the members forum and it needs to be pulled if there is any derogatory or libellous comments made in either forum.

We need this forum as a great place to discuss our issues, ask for advice from fellow travellers and owners (of vans :rolleyes: ) and just find good value info to our benefit.

Keep it coming guy's we love it :D

Merry Christmas from the Kyd's