Sovereign Slide Out BBQ Issues

Pete and Tracey

Hey everyone,

We have had a couple of good years out of the sovereign BBQ, but of late the flame seems to go out a few times before staying alight, sometimes not! It takes a few relighting efforts for the thing to stay alight, gas bottles are full, no problems in the van with the stove and the water system works fine. I don't think it is the gas system as such.

I have checked the pyro sensor that runs the auto shutoff and it is positioned correctly according to the sovereign website. Can these fail or become worn out????

Anyone had any similar experiences and can offer a solution???

Thanks guys and gals.......

Pete and Tracey.

Yep, I have been experiencing similar problems. Then it comes good and gives no trouble for a while. It is a pain in the butt. Tony has the best solution!

Regards

Colin

Hi pete and tracey

Yes the sensor or thermocouple can fail.It works by making a very small voltage which in turn keeps the gas flowing. Sometimes they soot up, so try cleaning it with emery tape or fine sandpaper.If this does not work I think your up for a new thermocouple.Not very exspensive.

Hope this helps

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete&Tracey,

I had a similar problem with mine.After trying a few different things including replaing the thermocouple I finally found the problem.The knob used to turn it on had slid too far onto the shaft so it was hitting onto the body of the BBQ when being held in to over ride the thermocouple so not allowing the thermocouple to do it's thing.The remedy was to pull the knob off and place about 10mm of 6mm round in it before replacing it.Have not had a problem since.

A quick test is to remove the knob and use a pair of pliers to light the BBQ.

Hope this helps.

Noel.

I had the same problem with my BBQ and had a gas fitter check it out at the cost $80. Then I rang Sovereign and they told me that the problem was the knob and it would cost $35. for a replacement. So I ordered 1, but the wife asked me what was wrong with the knob so I explained. ie there is a little flange inside of the hole that prevents the brass shaft to far into the knob this flange is meant to assist in pushing the shaft in allowing the gas to flow. if the flange is broken or worn the gas wont flow after releasing the knob. So little miss smarty pants said put some aluminium foil in the hole and guess what it hasn't failed me since and I have a spare knob to boot.

If you had a Baby Q, they would have replaced your knob for free :lol: If you know wot I mean??!!

Cheers

Rick

Regardless of who got a free knob or paid for one, everyone have a merry christmas and a very safe new year.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Well.......the problem seemed to be with the thermocouple. Recieved the new one from Sovereign who were very helpfull. $60 solved the problem. Cheap fix this time!! :-)

Well there you with all the good advice we missed the obvious, but still you and we all are much wiser for the experience.