Hayman Reese Weight Distribution Hitch

J Kelly

Hi all,

late last year I read a post by Rod and Mavis in which Rod pointed out that in the Hayman Reese intructions they state that WDH should not be used for Off-Road conditions.

After scouring their web site for their definition of off-road conditions without any luck I decided to phone Hayman Reese and spoke to a lady in their customer solutions area: She was quite emphatic that they were not meant for off-road but could not quite define what off-road realy meant but she did go on to say that WD hitches should be removed when going over spoon drains and gutters that you would expect to find entereng and leaving fuel stations.

All this has lead me to now believe that WDH should only be used on sealed highways - maybe this is why I damaged two towbars on the Landcruiser?

Interestingly the Dec issue of Caravan & Motorhome enclosed CD had "Fred's" trip down the Gibb River road - I noticed that his van did not have WDH attached but three Kedrons filmed did have their WDH attached!

I would appreciate hearing from others how they treat this situation?

Hi John, We have just completed the Savannha way and the Gibb river road in September. I had read that it is recommended to remove the weight distribution hitches when driving off road. The only time that we removed ours was when traveling over broken creek crossing and steep gullies that realy made a pitch point bewteen my ute and the van. Driving on formed dirt roads such as the GRR and the Savannah way made no differance when towing if they were connected or not, but I was alway mindfull of where I was putting our van when towing in these condition.Richard.

I agree with Richard. We have travelled the GRR, the Savannah Way, Cape York twice and many,many km on formed gravel roads around Queensland all with the WDH torsion bars fitted. I take them off on broken ground, some creek and river crossings - areas I suspect will require considerable articulation of the hitch. I have not damaged any equipment. I reckon it is all bound up in common sense and judgement. Further, many sealed roads around this country are bumpier and more uneven than many outback gravel roads.

Regards

Colin

Thanks Richard and Colin for your comments,

similarly I have not been in the practice of removing my WDH on outback roads but must admit that I have forgotten on numerous occasions to remove them on several steep creek crossing where maybe I should have.

It appears that there are two schools of thought and it would be interesting to hear from some who do not run WDH and the reasons why.

Regards,

JK.

I have towed a 3+ tonne caravan on the Gibb River Road and Savannah Way from Roper Bar to Borroloola, plus sundry other rough tracks around Oz. Unless I am very confident that the road is of moderate to high speed graded gravel construction throughout,I always remove the tensioning bars from my HR WDH as a precaution, in case we come across a steep /rough gully, creek crossing or similar. My view is that on roads such as these, the speed of travel is generally much slower than sealed highway driving, therefore the operation of the WDH is pretty much irrelevant. And if you want to see an adverse consequence of leaving the WDH bars on while travelling a rough track (sand in this case), check out the Gall Boys' "Making the most of the Fraser Coast" DVD. Dave Gall snapped the tow receiver off a Prado through forces generated by the WDH being attached.

Left ours on going across the Great Central Hwy. with no ill efects. But I always take them off when reversing.It gives the van more manoeuvrability (spelling) without those horrible cracking noises :o .I would take them off, when travelling on bush tracks.

Cheers

Rick

Hi all.

Back into the Frey :-)

Stresses on your tow bars and hitches are massive with the WDH's fitted in off road conditions.

Think about where the stresses are going when you lift the weight off the ball???? Think about how the hitch is designed to work??

Although we do not use WDH on our current van we definitely found the need to remove them when we did use them on our last rig in off road conditions that required major deflections of the coupling.(even with the McHitch)

In my humble opinion and I stress humble, the stress that is imparted on the tow bar and draw bar during large attitude changes during off road operations with WDH fitted are dangerous and not necessary. Always remove them if you are making large angular movements whether it is over gullies creeks rivers or what ever and even backing is a drama with them fitted if you need to turn sharply.

For those with McHitches,Joe McInnes has designed replacement Weight Distribution Hitches that are designed for use with the McHitch.

These hitches move the pin forward so the WDH works as it is designed to do.They are adapted to all brands of WDH fittings.

He has also designed a sliding fitting for the draw bar chain mount that allows the chains to move forward and back when you are turning.

This was a major noise drama with us when we still used the WDH and many times on tight turns the bar dropped out of the hitch fitting with a scary bang.

Stay tuned as he is still in development stage for the hitches but the sliding chain set up he has now.

Hitches are expected to be done early this year.

Cheers from the Kyd's

Hello fellow Koggers

We have the 6 ton McHitch and have been experimenting the WDB’s that Kedron supplied at the time of purchase and find it makes very little, if any difference at all using or not using them. So we now opt to leave them off all the time now.

Cheers

We recently replaced shocks and struts on our LC200 and installed airbags. The Air Bag Man was of the opinion that the air bags are essential for off-road (including dirt roads with corrugation) as the weight distribution hitch should not be used in those circumstances. He is of the opinion that the bags perform a similar function to the weight distribution bars. He stated that there is no need for the weight distribution bars when airbags transfer the weight to the front...

As he is selling airbags, you might not take this at face value.

We have only been on a short trip since fitting the airbags. I used the weight distribution bars. I did notice that it was a lot easier to put on the bars as well as removing them. The ride was more comfortable, less noise from the bars.

I think Rod has airbags as well. Maybe that is why he does not use the bars. I certainly want to experiment without the bars sometime in the future.

Hi All,

We have done the GRR, the Plenty Hwy and the Oonandatta track and we didn't use the WD bars at all. After watch the video of the Gall Boys ripping off the tow bar on their Toyota Prado. I would suggest that when in doubt don't.

Greetings all.

We do have air bags fitted as well as the rear coils being uprated by 400kg's to accommodate the ball weight (210kg's) and the extra permanent weight carried in the tug.Our tug is a 100 series IFS Cruiser.

This configuration works well for us without the need for the WDH system. Having said that we do on rare occasions get a little bounce on the tug but nothing drastic and steering and braking are excellent even in the wet.

This system suites us but I in no way advise anyone to go with this. It was my choice and it is good for us.

Steve, you blokes with the big American iron,it is absolutely understandable (in my humble opinion :rolleyes: ) that you do not need the WDH system due to the shear bulk of your vehicle and the puney little 4000kg + Top Enders that you pull behind you :D.

Cheers to all from the Kyd's.

P.S.

We just shed 10kg's on the back of the tug by using a normal goose neck with a Mchitch 20mm adaptor post-36-0-22013300-1357468673_thumb.jpg to bring the tow height back to level on the van instead of the Hayman Reese WDH as previously fitted.

We have just completed 2000klm's after purchasing the adaptor from Joe McInnes in Lithgow and fitting it to the goose neck.It works a treat. I also purchase a 4.5 ton pin that is the same as the 6 tonner that I had fitted except the thread is a standard tow ball size thus it fits the standard goose neck,magic!

Currently holed up at Clarence Town near Newcastle for a couple of days at their caravan park. This is a great spot that has to be a come backer after the school holidays. great kayaking and fishing and the bowling club has superb meals oh and Tooheys Old beer.The Williams River is awesome.

Cheers again.

Rod & Mavis,

Your not that far from me ..... you could have picked a spot & camped here....maybe next time :D

Right near the vineyards & plenty of 'old' available nearby.

Old and wines,sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the offer Tony.

We will definitely be back in the area,had the kayak in the Williams river and love it.

Cheers from the Kyd's.

Hello fellow Koggers

We have the 6 ton McHitch and have been experimenting the WDB’s that Kedron supplied at the time of purchase and find it makes very little, if any difference at all using or not using them. So we now opt to leave them off all the time now.

Cheers

Hello JK,

We have not fitted airbags as yet because as you said, " it only drops about 1-2 inches. However I most likly will fit them because now we have a better tow capacity and more room, we seem to be filling it up ............... I bet no one else has this problem???????????

We also had our van re-rated to 4 Ton by Kedron and when we put it over the weigh bridge it went 3920kg in full travel mode ie: 3 full water tanks (300lts), 2 x gas bottles, 2 x 20lt full diesel jerry's, 1 x 20lt petrol jerry, 5lt 2 stroke jerry, genny, chain saw, full wood rack on back, etc, etc and it seems everything else you can imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well after doing our lap including all the outer circulating roads mentioned above and some internal ones in SA, I removed the WDH's on all dirt roads that I let the tires down on. We also have the cruiser set up suspension wise so I don't have to put them on for highway driving either but I generally do (if I remember) just for peace of mind.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hello JK,

We have not fitted airbags as yet because as you said, " it only drops about 1-2 inches. However I most likly will fit them because now we have a better tow capacity and more room, we seem to be filling it up ............... I bet no one else has this problem???????????

We also had our van re-rated to 4 Ton by Kedron and when we put it over the weigh bridge it went 3920kg in full travel mode ie: 3 full water tanks (300lts), 2 x gas bottles, 2 x 20lt full diesel jerry's, 1 x 20lt petrol jerry, 5lt 2 stroke jerry, genny, chain saw, full wood rack on back, etc, etc and it seems everything else you can imagine.

Hi Steve & Kez,

Interested to read that Kedron re-rated your van. How did you achieve that? We have upgraded our axles to 3200kg and have a 3500 Alko hitch but our ATM is 2300kg. So I am seeking to get it re-rated. Spoke to Kedron but no joy so was wondering what process you went through?

Thanks, Muz

Hi Muz,

Mate, Firstly I spoke to Tom and David together when we were in there to get the van serviced and David said it would not be a problem but the max he could go was 4ton. David said to ring Tom when I was ready and send up the old GVM plate (and the money of coarse) and they would sort out the paperwork and send me the new GVM plate .

We do have a 21ft TE with the 6ton McHitch so he was happy to do so but we had to wait until we took delivery of the GMC otherwise we wouldn't be able to tow it with the Patrol.

Mate if you need any more info give me a call or email

Hi Muz

Kedron will not rerate your van if the change is heavier than the rated tow weight of your current vehicle. Example Tojos 3.5 tonnes, Yank tanks 4+tonnes.To do so could get them into some legal grey :rolleyes:areas.

Cheers

Rick

Muz

John Kean Engineer in Brisbane will re certify your van ATM as long as axle ratings and hitch are ok for the rating.

Good bloke ph 0409627336 and he will come to you as long as you are in the brissie area.

Your tug is your responsibility he will only do the van.

I believe that it is time that van manufacturers take responsibility for the products they sell and pass on to the public.

Most do not care what you tow with and are just happy for the sale.

The good manufacturers of heavy vans will advise that you need a better tug and the best ones will insist on a change of tug before pick up of the new van.

There are too many people travelling unsuspectingly/ignorantly/knowingly with big off road vans way above their tug's legal limits.

We personally struggle with our 18'6" off roader to keep it below 3500kg's to comply with our tug's limits.

Most people with anything this size and above this size off roaders should look closely at their weights.

Good luck Muz and Cheers from the Kyd's.

Hi Everyone, :rolleyes:

While at The Factory today, I spoke to Tom regarding re-rating of our 21'6 Topender. He said it can be done but only to 3990kg at a cost of $350. Van must be taken to the factory for inspection by Tom. He also said and showed the following information on the Transport site on his computer." Once Van has been re rated to 3990kg, the van can only be towed by a vehicle with the same rating. Therefore Landcruiser would be illegal and only a vehicle F250 or Chevey can tow van. Also if Van is rated at 3990 and registered in Qld, it has to be put over the pit every year before it's Rego can be paid and processed.

Also if you re-rate your Caravan, have fun trying to sell it. As stated above, van can only be sold to someone with the correct tow vehicle. If you fail to disclose this to the purchaser, you as a seller, will be held accountable - BE WARNED.

Cheers. :)

Hello Blueheeler,

All that you have written is true. But what you should also know is that when I discussed the issues with David at Kedron, he is happy to re-rate your van back to 3500kg when you are ready to sell it, therefore I don't see any issues in being "Legal" for the time I have the van.

Hi Steve & Kez,

I appreciate your reply regarding this matter but, during the coarse of the conversation at Kedron that detail wasn't conveyed to me. Unfortuneatly there are some people's promises I take with a grain of salt. Past experiences you know.

I suppose also the re-rating would be done at another cost again to us. Another $350+ I would imagine. Am I right.

Cheers

Hello Blueheeler.

Mate I have no dougt that it would cost another fee to have the rating down graded to the original GVM. I dont really think that is an issue if you wish to sell the van

Cheers