Battery Charger Replacement

joyngeoff

Our 40 amp Victron Centaur Charger has gone on the blink and I am waiting on the Auto Electrician to give me a diagnoses next week. It has been idle for about 2 weeks at home and when switching it on I got a blink on the gauge a shoet buzzing noise and back to zero. The fan was still working but i quickly tuned it off to avoid any further damage.

My question is before i see the leccie,

1: is there a fuse panel in the unit and has anyone experienced a similar problem.

2: If yes did you change brand for any reason.

My thoughts are as the unit is 7 years old and no previous problems it seems wise to replace it with a similar unit as it would be compatible with the current wiring set up.Your comments appreciated.

Geoff

G`Day Geoff

Try switching it on and off a couple of times,with about a 30 sec. gap in between. Ours goes on strike occasionally when it has not been used for a while.Same make "Victron". Good luck.

Cheers

Rick

Our 40 amp Victron Centaur Charger has gone on the blink and I am waiting on the Auto Electrician to give me a diagnoses next week. It has been idle for about 2 weeks at home and when switching it on I got a blink on the gauge a shoet buzzing noise and back to zero. The fan was still working but i quickly tuned it off to avoid any further damage.

My question is before i see the leccie,

1: is there a fuse panel in the unit and has anyone experienced a similar problem.

2: If yes did you change brand for any reason.

My thoughts are as the unit is 7 years old and no previous problems it seems wise to replace it with a similar unit as it would be compatible with the current wiring set up.Your comments appreciated.

Geoff

We had two separate Victrons die on us, but they weren't very old (about 18 months). When we spoke to Springers in. Brisbane they advised us to buy a Sterling. In their view they were the best ones on the market. I think Kedron are now using a different brand too - Redarc comes to mind.

Not sure about the fuse box.

Chris

G`Day Geoff

Try switching it on and off a couple of times,with about a 30 sec. gap in between. Ours goes on strike occasionally when it has not been used for a while.Same make "Victron". Good luck.

Cheers

Rick

Rick, this is a new tip, one we hadn't heard before. I still have the old failed Victron at home and will give this a go using your tip.

Val (via Chris)

Hi Geoff

I just hope the fizzing noise was not the rapid dehydration of one of the dreaded Attack-Class, Japanese Kamikaze Frogs! Or, one of the giant, hairy, spiders that took out our original Inverter. I have a Victron 60 Amp Charger which I can no longer use due to it not being programmable to charge my new Lithium batteries. It's yours if you pay the freight to get it to you.

Cheers

Russ.

Hi Russ

Many thanks for your kind offer. I am still waiting for my auto elelectrician to give me the good or bad news on my unit next Wednesday If the news is bad and If the 60 amp unit will fit the space i would gladly take up your offer.

Regards. Geoff

• 6 months later...

Our Vitron Centaur charger died on the week-end. Just would no power up. Contacted distributor Banbridge and got reply

"As the charger is over 5 years old there is no replacement parts/service so you will have to purchase a new one." Phone call

confirmed over 5 years old and fails there is no service. You have to buy a new one. I refuse to buy another of same brand in

case of similiar situation

Visited Tom at Kedron and he supplied a different brand that they have used for a few years without incidents.

Rob Les