April Trip

Chanty

Hi,

We are new members to the Kedron Owners Group having taken delivery of our 22 foot XC3 in December last year after many long months of waiting. Many thanks to all those members who answered some of our quires on the public forum prior to our van starting the build stage they were most helpful.

We hope to join in some of the groups short trips in the near future.

We live at Bridgeman Downs in Brisbane and are currently planning a trip to Lawn Hill in April/May and would like some feedback on camp sites or caravan parks near the following, they don't have to be free camps.

1. Blackdown Tablelands National Park.

2. Julia Creek.

3. Porcupine Gorge.

4. Winton.

5. Barcaldine

Also any comments on camping at Leichhardt Lagoon, Leichhardt Falls and Leichhardt River Rest Area (camp 262) would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tony & Leone Chant

(Chanty)

Hi Tony & Leone

welcome to a KOG who are a great group of people. We've just had our 2nd gathering & had a wonderful time.

I can't comment on most of the areas you request info on, & I look forward in reading others replies for our trip that way next year.

I can advise on 2 places...Lloyd Jones Weir - 15Km SW Barcaldine- site no* 346 in the Camps Australia Book. There tends to be many long termers there through winter, even in May, so I would advise getting there before 2pm is possible.

Long Waterhole - 2km outside Winton on the road to Jundah.

Site no* 359. We were camped there just for 1 night, but could have stayed a couple more it was so pretty & peaceful.

Hope this helps you

Have a safe & fun trip

cheers

Sue

Hi Chanty and welcome to the forum.

I was about to write about Llyodd Jones Weir and the Long Waterhole but see Sue has already answered with those two spots. :-)

As Sue said Llyod Jones Weir gets very busy with quite a few looking like they are their for the long term. The Long Waterhole outside of Winton has heaps of space we were able to take our pick when there last June. I am sure there are many other members who can give advice on the other places you mention as we have yet to go out there.

Cheers

Sue

A few miles West quite a few actually and hard to see , not much signage [south side ] from Winton ,is the famous Banjo Paterson waterhole,Waltzing Matilda, it's almost into the next shire /'town' Mc ? McKinley? can't think name. it's a free camp about 8 K's off the main road,we were there last year very wet but ok to drive on [dirt road, ] there is room to park ans stay, it's in the free camp book. been there lots of times, and always some lovely brolgas/roos on the track . along with fabulous water holes. Very quiet. Pics on my Facebook site if interested. Winton info centre seems to know nothing about it! Virginia McGowan

Hi Tony & Leone, :rolleyes:

They recommend not to take caravans up to Blackdown Tableland National Park and I would adhere to that advice.Tracks are very narrow. We went there many years ago with a camper trailer. There were about 26 camp sites at Minmosa Creek and very small(Tents & Camper trailers). Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alan & Rhonda. :D

Hello Tony and Leone,

We stayed at Leichhardt Lagoon four years ago and it was basic but lovley, hated leaving the place and the beautiful sunsets over the lagoon. However they do get a lot of rain up that way and sometimes it get flooded in the wet season so it may not be as nice as when we were there or it could be a lot better. We loved it.

Sandra and Clive

Hello Tony and Leone,

Let me add my welcome to the KOG family.

A lot of the area you ask about is in my backyard, so to speak. We have travelled the areas west of us many times. In Julia Creek there is an excellent free camp just east of the town. It is shown in Camps 6 as QLD#304.

Winton .....the caravan parks there are all pretty secondhand so I would recommend the Long Waterhole that has already been indicated to you. If you intend to visit the dinosaur stampede then I recommend Carisbrook Station which is not in Camps 6. It is abot 80 km SW of Winton and provides easy access to the stampede.

Leichhardt Falls. We intended to stay there once but most of the campers there were camped on the hot flat rocks that surround the falls which we did not like. On the banks above the Falls there were very dusty spots and but most were fouled by previous campers. So we moved on! The Falls are attractive without being spectacular. It might have been cleaned up by now so it is worth a look.

At Lawn Hill NP you have two choices. We use Adels Grove as it is free of many of the NP restrictions (camp fires and pups). If you want to venture a little further, Kingfisher Camp is very good. Camps 6 QLD #273.

On the way to Lawn Hill you will find the Burke & Wills RH (Camps 6 Qld #261) has good food, a bar and grassed CP facilities. 80 km west of the B&W RH is a beautiful free camp spot on the Leichhardt River (Camps 6 Qld #262).

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Regards

Colin

Hi again Chanty,

Colin mentioned camps in the general area of Lawn Hill. We stayed at a free camp on the Gregory River. It is partly under the road bridge behind the Gregory pub. Signs say NO CAMPING but there are bins there which were emptied while we were there. There were quite a few vans there. I think that the no camping restriction is an out in the event of a flash flood which would cause a major problem. There are no facilities at all there so you have to be self sufficient. The river runs quickly and it was interesting to watch older codgers (me included) riding the rapids. We liked it so much that we stayed nearly a week. There is a dump point opposite the pub.

Regards,

Bill

Hi

One of my favourite spots is king fisher camp north of lawn hill. They have showers, flushing toilets, green grass and boats for hire.

If you stop at Gregory downs, check in with Rhonda or Ian (ma and pa) at the pub who can give directions for great camping spots just out of Gregory downs. Meals aren't bad either. They have a caravan park next to the pub as well.

Cheers

Deb b

Hi to all on this series of posts,

We stayed at the van park behind the Gregory pub on our way to Lawn Hill. It is nothing flash but has the usual amenities including washing machines for those without (as we were on that trip). The beer at the pub was cold and the atmosphere friendly. The Burketown pub was not operating so the locals from there had set up camp not far from the Gregory pub. There were matresses and odd bits of furniture strewn around. We thought that things could get interesting at night but not so.

On the way back we stayed down on the river and some neighbours went up to the pub for a meal, which they found to be to their liking.

Cheers,

Bill