Invertors

RickA

I'm looking for advice on Invertors. Our new ATV2 is due in 3 weeks, and we're thinking about installing an invertor (either boot or generator box?) to run the laptop, printer and maybe a kitchen appliance or two (bamix, breadmaker maybe), BUT not all at the same time, with the exception of laptop and printer. Our biggest difficulty is knowing what size and type to get. 12v shops just tend to push their own brands.

What are other members thoughts?

Hi Lea & Rick,

You firstly need to calculate your power consumption with the maximium amount of appliances running at once. There are plenty of good sites that assist you, try this:

http://www.rpc.com.au/products/efn/efnextr...ima_rating.html

From what you say 600W would probably do. Spend the extra and get a PURE SINE WAVE inverter. Cleaner current and will run anything.

I think Dazza will agree dont mount it in the genny box. Full of fumes. It may end up in a big kaboom. :oops:

Rosco

:thumbsup:

Yep I agree with Rosco - petrol fumes and electrical sparks aren't a good mix. The boot is a good spot.

with regards to sizing a breadmaker will generally use approx 900W in bake mode, the rest of the cycle is approx 100W. Therefore if you want to run a breadmaker you will require a 1000W inverter otherwise a 600W one will be plenty for computer, printer etc.

As Rosco said go for the pure sine type.

Cheers

Darryl

G'day

We purchased a 2300w modified sine wave inverter and had the Kedron guys install it in the boot. We also had to double power points installed, one above the bench and one in the cupboard where the microwave plugs in.

We have been on the road now for 3 months and have found it to be of great use. We use it for the toaster, hair dryer, microwave and charging the laptop, phones, shaver etc. We wouldn't be without it.

Cheers

Marty and Meg

ATV 21'

Thanks Guys

We had a chat with Stan yesterday about our requirements, and because all we're really concerned with is the laptop, printer and phones, we feel that 400-600w is sufficient. (I decided I can live without the breadmaker.)

Thank you all for your input.

Regards

Lea & Rick