Kakadu

Gini

Any info on tripping around Kakadu [area] would be most helpful . Usual van ,3 x 4 etc.. parking ? Travelling from Qld, I can't walk much , and need bed by 4 pm. :(

Hi Gini,

We enjoyed Kakadu despite some people saying 'Kakadont'. A national park entry fee is $25 per person and depending on whether there has been late rains some places may not be accessible. However, there was a fair bit of walking involved to see rock art and waterfalls such as Gunlom falls and the views at Ubirr. The link is - http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/kakadu/

We slso did the Yellow Water Cruise which you should be able to manage - http://www.gagudju-dreaming.com/Cruises.aspx

Maybe others may have some input. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks Jacky. Nice to hear from you, appreciated wondered about caravan parking too. Also,--- maybe Litchfield might be better I can see online some info but nice to hear first hand experience. [sometimes I can walk for ages, so hoping] We went along the Larapinta Trail last year and left the van at Alice didn't know the van was ok to park at some of the gorges, so had to hurry back at night.

:)

Hi Gini

I agree with what Jacky Jacky says.

We were there 2 yrs ago & think it is “Kakado” as well. I don’t know why folk say “Kakadon’t”. The place isn’t green like the brochures show, but this is now leading into the dry season & areas must be burned to keep the high grasses under some control against wild fire storms when lightening strikes next wet season.

There are at least 3 or 4 National Park camp grounds to stay, approx $10 pp/n mid June 2011 (other than Cooinda & Jabiru caravan park – unless you need 240 volt electricity.)

Gunlom Falls is about 10 kms slightly corrugated road to get into, but worth it. Camp ground is in front of the falls.

There’s also Mardugal & Muinella Campground, that are closer to your next lot of touring. Gosh there’s another camp area closer to Ubirr as well on the NW side of the road, but I didn’t write it in my diary & remember name, but it is has more trees).

Your van will be safe in all these areas.

Mardugal & Muinella has more open areas for the solar panels. We’re a strange lot aren’t we – most other vanners want shade & we need sun 

Twin Falls was still closed in mid June 2011, but Jim Jim Falls opened just few days earlier. (late wet season)

The Yellow waters cruise is worth it – we did the sunrise cruise to catch the birds. If you like local culture there’s also a cruise up East Aligator River.

We also did the Corroboree lagoon Cruise, staying at Corroboree Park for $15.

(I’m a bird watcher, hence the extra cruises)

Litchfield is also worth a separate trip. There are several places to visit there as well with water falls, cascades etc. From memory there’s at least 2 places to stay.

I could be wrong. We stayed @ Litchfield Safari park for $10 pp/n. I think the other is near Wangi Falls.

I hope this helps you. I hope that both you & Frank enjoy the experience & the Top End.

Cheers

Sue

Wow Rod/Sue that's most helpful, I'll print all these out so I can keep to read. We didn't get to Palm Valley last year so wondering if we might just go there. went along the Merrinee Loop 11 years ago [not with a van ,eeekkk ] but bypassed Palm Valley I hate planning too much ! just like to go and decide where to go next. Time is no problem I just get homesick to be away too long ---pathetic!;) birds sound great too.

Hi Gini

you're welcome to any info I can help with.

The drive into Palm Valley was slow, but well worth it. The scenery along the track is beautiful. The last 2kms or so from memory are true 4x4, crawling over boulders etc. Our Patrol did it with ease.

Some of the walking when you get there will depend on how you are on the day but if you stay in the valley, it's not too strenuous.

There are magnificent 200 - 300 yr old Red Cabbage Palms & Cycads.

If you're in the area & you have some more time, Roma Gorge is also worth a visit. There are many Petroglyphs at the end of the walk into the gorge. I don't think the walk was any more than a couple hundred mtrs. Roma Gorge is along the same road as Palm Valley. It is sign posted, but only at the turn off into it. (2011)

I love looking at my pics for info when I answer some one's questions :-) Enjoy.

cheers

Sue

Thanks Sue /Rod, now I want to go everywhere! :lol: Just don't like the drive forever through Winton -----Friends went in their ute with cabin on the back last year Palm Valley I mean ,said no problem we only got to Glen Helen,did wish we had taken the van along, seems a waste leaving it in caravan parks, just drove the 4 x 4 ,then back to Alice Springs. I was keen to get down to Uluru asap, 11 years since we were there before and to see the Devils Marbles.We camped there one night fabulous spot, got there early thankfully,as it was very crowded in the afternoon, I think I took over 4000 photos all up , [back through Broken Hll] and I got some art done too.

oooh thanks again Rod n Sue, we went down the coast road year before last. Got some superb pics of early blooming wild flowers [crossed over via Kalgoorlie. ]