Remove one spare wheel

Hermit

Hi all, we are about 400kg over weight on our 21'6" TE with all tanks full (300l).

I know we have to reduce the amount of water we carry, so we have decided to try travelling with about 150l in total.

We have also been reducing weight other ways, but we are still overweight.

I am considering removing one of the spare wheels, this would help reduce weight by, I guess, about 50 to 60kg??

My question is, has anyone done this? Most vans only carry one spare wheel. We are not planning on going too far off-road, but, I guess you never know.

Just wanting some thought/advice from other Kedron owners.

We are struggling to reduce weight, I'm not sure what else we can do.

Regards

Rob

Hi all, we are about 400kg over weight on our 21'6" TE with all tanks full (300l).

Over what weight?

When our van was that much over ATM I simply got another plate from Kedron and had it fitted.

Cheers

Gday Rob,

We have been down this track too. Water is the first as you have said. The spare wheel is 35 kg if I recall and we elected to keep both, just in case...lol. We did change the batteries over to lithium which was a 50kg gain, but about 4 grand. We actually weighed everything we had in the van and then rationalised accordingly. I moved the jerry can holders to the rear to get some weight of the towball and they will be empty unless going into the 'sticks'. Also ditched the jockey wheel and only use the trailermate jack now, which is 15 kg. Another thing that had to go was the front loader washing machine and plumbing which is about 55kg. We bought a small plastic twin tub (available for under $150) which works ok and is about 13kg. Just have to take it outside and wash outside (uses less water and power too).

Anyway, good luck. I think 50% of vans on the road are probably overweight, but it's the insurance that scares me....

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

I did remove one of my spares on the rear, it weighed about 34kg. All our tyres and rims, van and car are the same so am happy to run with two not three spares. I do carry a spare tyre, less rim on the top of the Landcruiser though.

Like Chris I also changed the batteries and shifted them more to the centre of the van.

Cheers,John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions and advice, we will just have to continue removing any non essentials and cutting down on the water we carry.

Still have not decided about the spare wheel, will think about it.

Cheers

Rob

Hi There Hermit,

I would be very reluctant to remove one of the spares. We have just returned from travelling the Outback Way with Tolley and the other wonderful fellow travellers. No problems on the trip nor when we did the Oodnadatta or Birdsville tracks...but on the black top between Morven and Mitchell a tyre blew. Within 100 metres it wasn't something you could repair and carry on with. If it had happened early on out in the outback it would have been a worry with say 1,200km ahead of us. Like John we have the same wheels on the van as our tug so plenty of backup but you never know when ..it happens!

Enjoy the journey

John & Maureen

Rob,

Like John and Maureen, I would be reluctant to remove the 2nd spare, while we were travelling across the Plenty we were travelling with another couple and they had two flats (coopers) between Tobermorey and just after Jervois. For me, I would much rather carry a spare wheel and never need it, than wish I had one when I did need it.

cheers

Laurie