Painting interior of Kedron

Ian and Sue

I should start out by saying that Ian is pretty much against my latest idea but when has that ever stopped me. :-)

Our Kedron has suffered quite a bit of damage to the wood panelling interior due to several very bad leaks. It seems the water only has to get in and the surface of the veneer comes away very quickly. Unfortunately for us after thinking we had the problem fixed we hit a really heavy rain one night and I had left a jumper sitting on the side table by the bed, after all the water leaked in it soaked my jumper and by the morning had lifted an awful lot of the veneer. You probably get the picture. Anyway, I did some research and found that we could buy a sealer for the laminate and also a special laminate paint which is made for this type of job. Ian thinks it is just going to look a lot worse than it does now painting the walls an off white color. Has anyone tried this and were you happy with the results? Our walls at present are the light woodgrain style and I have no intention of painting the cupboards.

Cheers

Sue

Hi Sue

I know you are along way away, but I would be talking to the boys at Kedron. If you start painting the inside, consider the resale value. I would be trying to rectify the cause rather than the effect.

Peter

Thanks Leslie and Peter for your replies.

Leslie - The caravan forum was were I researched the correct paint. I then headed off down to Bunnings and asked questions. I know you can only use certain paint on the panel finish and was shown the correct prep etc. if I do it I will try a sample first to make sure it is going to look professional.

Peter I think the resale value would likely be more affected by the water marks. Ian has now fixed the leak it was caused by a buckle that can't be seen in the exterior panellings join. The water ran along and came through dependant upon how the van was levelled so the is more than one place with damage otherwise I might be able to live with it. Unfortunately for us the only other way to fix the interior is to replace all the wall panels down the drivers side of the van which is pretty impossible because they we put in before the cupboards and we would have to literally gut the van. :)

Hi

I would check that your insurance does not cover the damage before starting any painting. You may get a surprise

Now that is something I hadn't even thought of, I will check it out on Monday for sure. thanks Leon :)