Looks can be deceiving

John and Ann

Hi all,

After some 45,000km of which about 7,000km were on mostly average to bad dirt roads our microwave fell apart.

Not that you could tell from the front or by opening the door, it even still worked! The tell tale for me were the fragments of metal we found in the sink, they had me puzzled the first day or so, that is until I removed the vent below, what a revelation.

The bottom chassis made of very thin pressed metal had serious metal fatigue, the heavy power pack had seriously done a job wrecking the chassis and gouging the floor of the recess.

Easy enough fix, went down the street in Atherton and did a deal to buy the later model for $135 and whacked it in, but, I did fit some feet under the power pack this time as it sits about 12mm above the recess floor. Hopefully we won't have the same problem in the future.

So, if you've done some rough off-sealed road travel and have a Sharp Carousel microwave, might be worth taking a look and take some precautionary steps.

Regards

John

Hi John & Ann,

We had a simular problem but our microwave was screwed in through the base & we had seen now Kedron use a Powder Coated Alum angle to fix the microwave in & this makes the unit a lot more secure,which we have now done. Having done 70,000km [caravan km] with a lot of this on dirt with great success.

Regards Neville.

Hi Neville,

Our microwave too is retained by the powder coated brackets from the side rather than through the bottom as you described earlier versions.

The side brackets don't provide any support to the power pack as this is by design some 12mm clear of the shelf or recess floor the microwave sits on to provide additional ventatilation. In a normal domestic situation this wouldn't be a problem, however, in a caravan it far from ideal.

In talking to other travelers of late this seems a very common problem.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Our microwave died when the van was about 12 months and 1 day old. We pulled it out and had Kedron make a cupboard door to cover the hole. And 5 yrs. later we still don`t miss it. :D

Cheers

Rick & Lea