Tow Ball Mounts (Tongue)

Merv and Di

We all know that our vans seem to be heavier than they should be and some of us have upgraded our tow vehicles specs in an attempt to counter this weight problem, but one question now comes to mind. How many have changed over their tow bar mounts (tongue) to either a 4 tonne or a 4.5 tonne mount or has this aspect been overlooked and people are still running with the 3.5t approved tow ball mount? Does the insurance aspect now come into it should something untoward occur?

Cheers

Merv

Hi Merv,

In my case I have a 200 series.... the vehicle is rated to tow (my understanding) a max of 3.5 tonnes standard without any suspension upgrades or rerating.... so fitting a 4 or 4.5 tonne 'hitch' makes sweet 'FA' difference.

(Although my vehicle has rear air bags & a brake upgrade.... to make me feel better AND improve the vehicles capabilities....I doubt that will do much to cool the heals of an RTA/RMS, police or insurance assesor.... I consider myself to be a responsable person....leaving myself open for flack here)

I continue to tow my van.... possibly like you 'waiting' to be pulled up & acting innocent & saying ..... who me.... what are you talking about!!!!

Hi Merv,

I have to agree with Tony. The best tow rating you will get out of any current 4x4 is 3.5T and 350kg ball weight, so why bother????

The only way to make it legal if your van exceeds the 3.5 T tow or 350kg ball weight is to import something larger as I have done and it feels sooooo good knowing your legal with plenty of room to spare.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks guys, the reason for me asking the question is because there have been numerous comments and stories of TE's and ATV's around the 3.8t+ mark when fully laden for extended trips. These weights exceed the 3.5t max towable by most of the vehicles in Australia and I know that some have tried and I am not quite sure if successful to have their tow capacities increased. Yes Steve, that is the way I have gone as well.

Cheers

Merv

Hello Merv,

Mate we live in our van full time and could not get the weight down enough to be legal so we bought the GMC and increased the van GVM to 4T and now everything is perfect with weight to spare. It certainly takes the stress out of doing something you are meant to be enjoying.

To be honest, I can't believe anyone with a 21' TE or ATV or bigger can be legal. We have a 21' TE with all the usual extras and the empty weight was 3040kg and the GVM was 3500kg. It doesn't leave you much weight to play with especially once you put 320kg of water and 2 full gas bottles. I believe most people have no true idea about the weight of their van or want to know the true weight of their vans.

Their choice

Cheers

Steve

Good morning Merv,

I must agree with Steve on this one, our TE tared in at 2985kg and there was no way that I could keep the weight down to anywhere close to the legal 3500 when packed for a reasonable trip.

I spent an absolute fortune trying to upgrade the capacity of the Toyota only to find that when it came to upgrading the towing capacity from 3500 it had been made illegal throughout Australia.

My solution was to have the TopEnder's tare lifted to 3990 by Kedron and purchase a Silverado HD2500. This has certainly solved the problem and allows me to rest easy without the thought of the consequences of a massive third party claim against me for towing overweight and uninsured.

I have also found that the fuel consumption from the Silverado is better than what I was achieving from the Toyota.

Regards,

JK.