Corner Country and More

Tolley

Hello KOGers,

I am thinking of doing a trip into the Corner Country and beyond next winter departing sometime in May and June. It is a part of the country that we have not visited as yet.

The concept of operations is as follows:

Milparinka - Tibooburra - Cameron's Corner - Innamincka - Cordillo Downs - Birdsville - Birdsville Track to Maree - Oodnadatta Track to Oodnadatta - Coober Pedy - Port Augusta - Flinders Ranges - Leigh Creek - Lyndhurst (or alternatively Arkaroola Village) - Strzelecki Track to Cameron's Corner - Tibooburra.

I am in the very early stages of planning so the plan may change but it will certainly revolve around the “Corner Country”, the Strzelecki, Oodnadatta and Birdsville Tracks.

Timing? Cool months probably starting late May early June.

Duration? Not yet determined but it will be about three weeks, perhaps.

Besides being beautiful country, judging from pictures and video, it is also not too far from civilization and is easy to access from Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

I know that many KOGers have travelled this country so any advice and recommendations as what to do, not to do, where to go and not to go will be appreciated.

I am prepared organize a small group to do this trip and I will volunteer to be the organizer and Trip Leader. A number of KOGers have already signaled their interest.

I intend to start serious planning after Christmas.

If anyone is interested in joining together for such a trip please PM me.

Regards

Colin

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tolley Gordon and Chris Carter are interested at this stage in your trip May or June 2014

Hello Gordon and Chris,

Thank you for your interest. It should be a good trip. I am limiting the group to ten vans, ours and nine others. The limit is there just to keep it manageable. You are the eleventh potential. However, I am confident that two or three of the nine before you will withdraw before the cut-off day. You are first "cab on the rank", so to speak.

In the new year, probably early March, I will ask for firm commitments. So, hang in there and I will keep in touch with you.

Would you be kind enough to send me you're best contact details, email and telephone, to:

Colin@precruitment.com.au

Many thanks

Colin

Hi Colin

We will have to decline the offer, it would be a great trip.

Margaret wants to go down to the snow, I want to head north to the warmth; maybe we will do both in our ATV for two.

Kind regards.

Peter and Margaret

Hi Colin

We will have to decline the offer, it would be a great trip.

Margaret wants to go down to the snow, I want to head north to the warmth; maybe we will do both in our ATV for two.

Kind regards.

Peter and Margaret

Thanks for the advice Peter.

So, Margaret is a keen skier! Having spent twelve years as the CEO of ski resorts maybe I should organize a KOG Ski Trip!! Gayleen would be in that in a flash as she is a ski instructor of many years standing. We have been skiing Japan over the past seven years as Cairns is only 7 hours away from Tokyo.

Have a great time. We will miss your company.

Regards

Colin

Colin, if you were taking your dogs along, be aware that they will probably not be allowed at Arkaroola village or in the nearby national park. Also the Flinders ranges NP excludes dogs. Apart from the exclusion the rangers can and do use 1080 bait for dingos and that alone would make it undesirable to take furry friends.

Check for yourself, obviously but I am confident of these restrictions.

Chris

Thanks for the advice Peter.

So, Margaret is a keen skier! Having spent twelve years as the CEO of ski resorts maybe I should organize a KOG Ski Trip!! Gayleen would be in that in a flash as she is a ski instructor of many years standing. We have been skiing Japan over the past seven years as Cairns is only 7 hours away from Tokyo.

Have a great time. We will miss your company.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin.

Margaret has only been skiing twice, and it's on her 'bucket list'. Personally, I like to sit by an open fire in the evening with a nice glass of red wine.

Pete

Hello Chris,

Thank you for that good advice. Having two small poodles always imposes limitations but we accept that. We bought a caravan so that we could take the pups on holidays! Two and a bit years ago we toured the Flinders Ranges with the two pups. We did not have any issues.

Arkaroola might be a problem so we just don't go there. They miss out on my money. Baiting is a problem right across the outback so we have to be careful at all times. You know, I find it contradictory that the NPWS bait and kill animals that are a part of the natural environment. Isn't their role to protect and nurture the native animals? There is growing evidence that killing dingos lets the feral cat population explode and they are devastating on small marsupials.

While my plan is only in outline as yet, It is my intention to release all participants for a few days on reaching the Flinders Ranges so they could explore the area at leisure. We did just that in Alice on the Outback Way trip. After a few days we will just meet somewhere and continue the journey. During the break Gayleen and I might just go down to the Care region and eat and drink! :D

Regards

Colin

Hello Chris,

Thank you for that good advice. Having two small poodles always imposes limitations but we accept that. We bought a caravan so that we could take the pups on holidays! Two and a bit years ago we toured the Flinders Ranges with the two pups. We did not have any issues.

Arkaroola might be a problem so we just don't go there. They miss out on my money. Baiting is a problem right across the outback so we have to be careful at all times. You know, I find it contradictory that the NPWS bait and kill animals that are a part of the natural environment. Isn't their role to protect and nurture the native animals? There is growing evidence that killing dingos lets the feral cat population explode and they are devastating on small marsupials.

While my plan is only in outline as yet, It is my intention to release all participants for a few days on reaching the Flinders Ranges so they could explore the area at leisure. We did just that in Alice on the Outback Way trip. After a few days we will just meet somewhere and continue the journey. During the break Gayleen and I might just go down to the Care region and eat and drink! :D

Regards

Colin

Colin, I neither condone nor oppose the restrictions on dogs in national parks. I simply noted your inclusion of Arkaroola in the draft itinerary and commented about the ability to legally travel there with dogs on board.

Yes, Clare is a fantastic region to relax and enjoy the finer things in life. As it is only a couple of hours from our home we do go there from time to time and I can recommend some lovely places to visit or to dine out.

Chris

Hello Chris,

I appreciated your advice and positive intentions. We have travelled widely all over mainland Australia in our van, some 80,000 km in the past four years and every one of those kilometres has been with Moët and Cherie. If we ever encounter issues we work around them. We hope that the two small pups are not a bother to anyone, including park rangers. If we suspect they are, we move on.

I also appreciated your timely advice, re Arkaroola as I have not been there. If pups are an issue there we just won't go there.

We have been to the Clare region a couple of times and really enjoy it. Any recommendations you have will be appreciated.

Regards

Colin

I recall that another offroader who often posts on Caravaners Forum (Shazmacca)and previously commented on a trip through the same sort of country you are planning to visit. As he travels with a dog I thought this might be of some interest to you too.

See here.

You may have already seen his posts. And of course, he has a website which makes great reading. Happy planning!

Chris

Hello Everyone,

But first to Chris. Thanks for the link you provided. I have not read that contribution but it will be very useful. Thanks for that.

For those interested in this trip and that country in general, there is a good article titled "Down the Oodnadatta Track" by Brendon Moon in the current issue of "On The Road" magazine, December 2013.

It is worth reading if you intend travelling this way.

Regards

Colin

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Ok…………… The must visits in the Flinders are:

WilpeenaPound, but stay at Rawnsley Park Stn, which is about 30kms south of Wilpeena Pound. It is a great place to base yourself for a few days and do day tripsfrom. Book a powered site along the creek if you can as it will give you uninterrupted views of Rawnsley Bluff and the sunsets. Take some wood as theysupply fireplaces. There are also a few nice walks on the property ……………Rawnsley Bluff is a bit steep but well worth the effort.

While atRawnsley Stn do the day drives of:

The loop of Brachina Gorge and Parachilna Gorge with a lunch stop at the Prarie Hotel atParachilna for lunch.Self drive of Willow Springs Station. This has a cost butis beautiful .It has a bit of 4wd bits and will take you all day so take alunch. (You can also stay there now if you choose)There is also a place to seeabout 10kms on the R/H/S north of Rawnsley Stn called Sacred Canyon. It is asmall walk in a gorge and has a bit of aboriginal art.

If you wishto "Free camp" in the gorges, there are a couple of places to do so but checkit out when you do the day drive. If you decide to stay in one of the National parks in the gorges, there is really only one with enough room for the van andit is big open spaces. I can't think of the name of the spot, but it is about10kms in on the Brachina gorge road, on the right hand side. It is beside a big dry creek bed and very beautiful. You can also have fires there too.

When headingfor the Oodnadatta track, the best way to cut across is the Parachilna Gorgeroad (you can decide). Once at Parachilna, turn right and just follow thesigns.

It might be agood idea to overnight somewhere before you get to Farina Stn as you should getthere by 3.00 to get the choice of the best spots (your choice). If you get toFarina Stn, early, there is plenty to see to fill the day/days in.

Just before Leigh Ck there is a nice spot tostop at. It is the town water supply and it is a beautiful spot and it hasplenty of room for the van to move through. The turn off will be on your L/H/S.

There is a caravan park at Liegh Ck which isOk and the pub has a great feed too.

There is also another van park about 5 kmspast Leigh Ck called Copley. It too has a van park and the pub there has afantastic (country pub) feed and there is a good pie shop there too and is famousfor their Quondong pies. I would recommend staying here over Liegh Ck.

Farina Stn is only about 70kms from Copleyand there is 28 kms of dirt starting from Lyndhurst. There is not a lot to seearound Lyndhurst. (Lyndhurst is actually in the middle of Farina Stn)

Once at Farina Stn head to the camp groundand set up as to can walk to all the sites of interest (the ruins, cemetery,old railway bridge). The owners are Kevin and Anne Dawes …………… say G'day if yousee them as they know you might be coming.

The next stop to think about is:

Clayton Stn,50kms up the Birdsville track. It is a beautiful spot but you will have to backtrack (but worth it if time permits) Muloorina Stn, Turn right about 2kms west ofMaree and travel 50 kms (all good dirt roads) It is beautiful. It has a largewaterway and plenty of birdlife. When you get there youwill come to the smalltoilet block, look to your right and you will see a single date palm in thedistance. Just past there is a beautiful camp spot at the very endof the roadand has plenty of room to turn the van around. You have to take your own woodfor the fire. You will have to back track for this spot too.

The next spotalong the Oodnadatta track is Coward Springs …………….. a must. It has a thermalbore pool and is wonderful. You can have fires there also

On the way toWilliam Creek there are a few things to see along the way if you choose.William Creek Hotel is a must for lunch and then onto Oodnadata.

Oodnadatta tothe hwy is the Painted desert and it is spectacular.

Guys I hope this helps and if you need any additional info , give us a call as we have extensively traveled and worked in the whole area you are looking to travel in and have a lot more info if required

Hope it can help you

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Steve,

My apologies to you for not responding sooner. I have been away since mid December returning home just last Friday week. I have not been on the net much during that time.

Thanks very much for your very informative post. It will be very useful. Just today I have begun the detailed planning for this trip. Doing a lot of reading especially the links provided by Chris earlier in this thread.

Kind regards

Colin

This trip was mentioned to us by Andrew & Sally who we recently meet. We are interested in joining you, so would ask that our names be added to your list (standby???).

Many thanks

Helen & Peter

Hello Helen and Peter,

To you also I offer my apologies for not responding to you sooner. As you will see from my earlier post to Steve today, I have been off the air since mid December.

Thank you for your expression of interest in the trip. I am pleased to advise that you have filled the last vacancy in a group of ten. I will send you a PM to ask for your contact details.

Kind regards

Colin

Steve I'm shocked .... ' coon art'. only joking :D

Edited 16:05 3/2/14

Would readers PLEASE note that MY comment/reply to 'Steve' was before he or admin edited his original post.......thank you!

Hi all

Just a note re: Arkaroola.

Arkaroola is a privately owned sanctuary. It is not under the auspices of National Parks, nor any State authority. Dogs are allowed, with the usual expectation that the owners of those dogs will be responsible for them at all times. Arkaroola has a caravan park, but also has a massive campground which is ideally suited to folks like Koggers, whom are self contained. It would be a shame to leave it off your itinerary due to a misunderstanding about pets being allowed.

Things to do at Arkaroola:

Lots of excellent walks, from easy, right up to World rated.

If you're into 4WDing, try the self-drive Echo Camp backtrack.

If you want to find out how to involuntarily turn your backside into a suction-cup, try the Ridge Top Tour.

If you are into scenic photography, Arkaroola is paradise.

If you just want to do nothing, it is easy to do that too.

You can meet and talk to Doug and Marg Sprigg, who were with their Mum and Dad on the very first vehicular crossing of the Simpson Desert. Fascinating story.

Doug can take you for a flight over Arkaroola and surrounds.

If you are into rocks, Arkaroola has some of the most diverse geology in the World.

and....

You might catch up with Sue and I, as we hope to be working there this season.

Cheers

Russ

Just a quick edit re: wild dog baits. These have been used on Arkaroola in the past, but the distribution takes place some distance from the public areas. Therefore, the only way for one's pet to fall fowl of a bait is for it to have been allowed to go on a very long walk. Knowing the "Tolleys" as I do, this would not happen.

Hi Guys,

Some comments may be said in jest or tongue and cheek God knows I have been guilty of it,but it should be brought to everyone's attention that these comments have been placed in the PUBLIC FORUM on the KEDRON site. Solicitors and do Gooders work hand in hand.

Regards,

Kingy.

Hello Russ,

It would be great to catch up with you. When will you know if you will be working there?

Wild dog baiting is an issue. While the baits may be initially dropped away from "public" areas, they are occasionally "redistributed" by birds, especially crows. They pick them up., fly off and then drop them.

Safe travels.

Regards

Colin

Hi Guys,

Some comments may be said in jest or tongue and cheek God knows I have been guilty of it,but it should be brought to everyone's attention that these comments have been placed in the PUBLIC FORUM on the KEDRON site. Solicitors and do Gooders work hand in hand.

Regards,

Kingy.

Hi Kingy

I agree with you. Such comments have no place on the KOG Forum, and I suggest they be removed.

Regards

Peter