Broken Solar Panel

Alan and Jayne

G'day

We've got 3 x 130W panels on the roof of our TopEnder.

I was up cleaning the panels last month & noticed the rear one was shattered. Looked like a broken toughened windscreen! You could see the impact point where I guess a rock had hit it.

We had just finished doing the Oodnadatta & Strzelecki tracks & the panel was OK half way down the Oodnadatta as I have a photo of the roof from the railway bridge & it was fine then. Tom at Kedron fixed at a very good rate.

My question is has anyone else cracked a solar panel before? I'm trying to work out where we did this & whether it was from our car, van or a passing truck?

I find it hard to imagine it was from our car or van, as while we were on these tracks our max speed would have been 45km/hr when there were stones around. We didn't pass any trucks that I can recall.

We run BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's on both car & van & I've heard these are bad for throwing up stones.

If you've had a shattered panel let me know your thoughts on how you did this.

Cheers

Alan

Twice we have had a shattered solar panel. In both cases (a few years apart) our insurance company paid for the replacement. Actually, I think the first one may also have been damaged on the Oodnadatta Track!

Christine

Hi Alan,

I shattered a panel on the Outback Way earlier this year,don't know exactly when but I also got a big star in the windscreen by a stone throughen up by an idiot going too fast in the oposite direction.I have been told hail will not brake them but sharp rocks will.

Noel.

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Christine & Noel

Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure what caused ours to break, but the impact point leads me to a rock, but we didn't pass any vehicles either direction that could have caused this, so I suspect it was from our vehicle(s) courtesy of our BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO tyres which are known for throwing up rocks.

BTW they work great of the car, terrible on the van.

Cheers

Alan