"Couplertec" rust protection

Hermit

Hi all, I am considering installing the "Couplertec" rust protection system on my cruiser.

Does anyone have any experience with this product, or know if it actually works.

I believe they use a "capacitive coupling" technology instead of the old "sacrificial anode" types used on boats.

Any help with this product is great fully appreciated.

Rob

Townsville

Hi Rob,

I have a ERP unit installed on my LC76 and I can assure you that the truck is not rusting. This unit uses a electronic pulse to prevent corrosion.

Tex

Hi Rob,

I have a ERP unit installed on my LC76 and I can assure you that the truck is not rusting. This unit uses a electronic pulse to prevent corrosion.

Tex

It would be appreciated if you could advise where you get and cost of ERP technology.

Savo

Hi Savo,

I got mine when I purchased my LC76, as far as cost unknown tech details yep!!. All I know is it works

Tex

Hi all, I am considering installing the "Couplertec" rust protection system on my cruiser.

Does anyone have any experience with this product, or know if it actually works.

I believe they use a "capacitive coupling" technology instead of the old "sacrificial anode" types used on boats.

Any help with this product is great fully appreciated.

Rob

Townsville

Hi Rob,

I had a Couplertec 4 pad system installed by ARB on a brand new 78 series a couple of years ago for about $550. Basically within 6 months the roof had rust spots covering every spot weld & the chassis was covered in rust. With very little use on the beaches, I contacted ARB who said "we do not endorse any product we sell, that is not branded with the ARB name". I then contacted Couplertec who said the problem was with the ARB installation (blaming each other as usual). I went as far as consulting a automotive electrical engineer who basically said "no so called rust prevention system can work unless the vehicle in submerged in water constantly".

If you are considering any type of rust prevention system ask the distributor for the scientific papers proving that their product works. They will quickly back down.

I suggest the old fashion type fish oil or be particular & wash the vehicle regularly.

Regards Taka.

I believe that the same guy (tounge in cheek) that developed this 'rust preventer' ALSO had a hand in producing Peter Brock's (RIP) Magnetic Resonance Modulator........

Laugh out loud

OK, for the last three years of my "real" career I worked as a corrosion protection technician, or Rustologist as we prefer to call ourselves. I will not go deeply into the theory of these gadgets, I am simply going to say this: They do not work. Let's face it, if they did work every vehicle manufacturer would fit them as a standard item (to prevent claims for rust penetration.)

My last vehicle did not have one fitted, lived just 40 metres from the salt water for three years of the six that I owned the car, lived by the ocean for much of the rest of the six years and it had not one skerrick of rust when it was sold. The alloys used in steel making, along with the advanced coating compounds, negate the need for any further protection - even if it did work, which it doesn't.

Just one small bit of theory so that you can understand why they don't work. For cathodic protection to work, electrons must flow from the source (anode, electrical connection or whatever) to the steel being protected. For this to happen, the source has to be more negatively charged than the item to be protected. Because the body of the car is already connected, or grounded, to the negative terminal of your battery, the "capacitively connected" pad of so-called ERPS must be more negative than the negative of the battery! Not going to happen. Even if that could be done, for the "pad/s" to create a field to protect the entire body of the vehicle you would have to immerse the vehicle in conductive soil or a conductive solution. Hardly practical.

I was at a conference of the Australian Corrosion Association, where the keynote speaker chose to explain the theory of ERPS to the attending corrosion engineers. He filled two white boards with formulae, drawings and blurb. At the conclusion of his piece he simply wrote in huge capital letters "THEY DON'T WORK, THEY CAN'T WORK." This guy is right up there on the pecking order of Corrosion Engineers, so I have absolutely no reason to doubt him.

I wouldn't be parting with my hard-earned for one of these bogus systems.

Cheers

Russ

Hi all, thanks very much for your input into this product. I have decided not to purchase the device and put the money towards something more practical, maybe a winch!!

Thanks again

Rob

• 6 years later...
On 12/01/2014 at 12:46 PM, tex said:

Hi Rob,

Hello Tex,

I never tried ERP but I've tried this electronic rust proofing brisbane so far there are no accumulation of rust that I've notice.