Kangaroo Island

Chris

We are planning a trip to Kangaroo Island at the end of this week ( by which time the cool change will be here!), and are travelling with the offroad camper trailer. The costs of taking the van on the ferry are astronomical and is even dear enough for the trailer and car alone...

We have done a bit of planning already and note there is a variety of camping options. I have looked at a couple of other planning threads on other forums (fori?) already and that information is of course useful. But we would like specific recommendations for a camp site which is likely to be peaceful ( not overrun with hordes) and scenic. We have a four wheel drive and know how to drive on rough roads so the road less travelled is no deterrent to us. Being near water like a beach or river would be great but a view is a priority, as is nice vegetation and shade. I hope I am not asking for too much....

At this stage we are considering Western River Cove, Murray Lagoon Campground and Stokes Bay.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Chris, as you know, when we visited Kangaroo Island in 2011 it was before we got our van. But, for what it is worth, Stokes Bay is stunning. I didn't take any notice of the camping area because, at that stage, I never expected to cross the threshold of a caravan. B) However, it was not crowded when we were there but that was in October. It may be a different story during school holidays. Hopefully you will get some more useful replies.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Ourselves and two other couples are looking at going over to Kangaroo Is. in March. I rang Sealink and they wanted $780.00 to take our ATV and Landcruiser ute over so we looked at other options. We got a five night stay in one of the lighthouse cottages plus return trips for two vehicles for $700.00 per couple and they through in a couple of extras. It may pay to check out a deal.

Barry