Roof leak

TonyH

Hi all,

Hoping some one can assist with the name of a suitable repairer in the Hobart, or east coast area of Tasmania.

Unfortunately my roof still has a leak (same spot) after being looked at the factory (Brendale) 6 weeks ago)...... I'm worried the the roof sheet will delaminate and look terrible.

Thanks in advance

EDIT

My lovely lady has suggested that I edit my post & make it a little clearer......

My or should I say OUR van is coming up to seven years of age, roof sealing at that age is a maintenance 'matter', Ashley did have a look at the roof 6 weeks ago and applied silicon in a couple of suspect spots...... and as usual practise with the guys @ Brendale there was no charge for this.

Since leaving the factory, we have had no rain ....... so haven't been able to test the result of Ashley's endeavours.......a couple of nights ago we had a downpour & unfortunately the leak is still there :-(

I spoke to Tom (in service) about this ....he couldn't supply the name of a 'Kedron recommended' repairer down here so this is why I put this post up.

Sorry, can't help you.

Last year when in NT we also had a leak through the roof. Searched high and low but to no avail. It eventually stopped but on returning to Qld we had the van serviced by the manufacturer and ask to check out the leak. They removed the A/C unit only to find that a small stone had worked its way between the bottom of the AC and the exterior roof aluminium. It rubbed away causing a small hole in the roof and let in any moisture from the AC or rain. Plugged and sealed and OK. However, they did say that it might be a good idea to tell CIL about the small repair in case the interior roof sheet delaminates and needs replacing. The cost of replacing one sheet.......about $6,000. Major job, remove cupboards, shower unit, anything on the roof and half the roof cladding as well. Did notify CIL, but we are yet to make a decision. There is some very slight bubbling but not very noticable.

So it can be a huge job so make sure the repairers know what is involved.

Chris.

Hi all,

Hoping some one can assist with the name of a suitable repairer in the Hobart, or east coast area of Tasmania.

Unfortunately my roof still has a leak (same spot) after being fixed at the factory (Brendale) 6 weeks ago)...... I'm worried the the roof sheet will delaminate and look terrible.

Thanks in advance

Hi Tony

If it has been 'fixed' at the factory 6 weeks ago give them a ring to see if they have any suggested repairers in Tasmania. They might even be able to tell you the possible location or cause of the leak to make temporary repairs yourself

Cheers

Merv

Hi Tony,

Must be Tasmania as we had a major roof leak when we there three years ago. Kedron had replaced the rood two months previously (it was our old pop top van) Tom told us to have it repaired in Tasmania. Caravan repairers are scarce as hen's teeth down there. We did find one at a place called Kingston not far from Hobart. However they could not help us for three months due to their heavy workload. Kedron replaced the roof on our way home, apparently it was the silicone.

Good luck

Clive

Tony,

I don't know any repairers but two suggestions depending on your roof layout as we had similar issues and as usual the KEDRON boys did assist :

1. Take down the inside skirting on your A/C, check the 4 mounting bolts of the main unit as these had come loose on my unit, secondly spray water around while you have the skirting off as our van only leaked when it was in a nose up attitude and water was coming in past some baffles.

2. Do you have a Heike ? if so I removed all silastic from the outside roof area and resealed around the perimeter this was the last leak and touch wood haven't had a problem since some 18 months ago.

Hope this assists.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie,

I will have a look at the A/C unit mounting points as you have mentioned, although 'the leak' is coming through a join in the roof paneling approx 1 meter away from the A/C unit, the water could be tracking/running on the topside of the roof panel...

Still looking for any other suggestions....any about?

Thanks in anticipation

Hi Tony , I'm with Laurie re A/C, we had a roof leak about 12mts ago, removed the A/C internals and it's easy to see how a leak there could travel between inner

and outer skins. Hope you have success, leaks and squeaks are bloody hard to find.

Regards mal and kerry.

Hello Tony,

We had a small leak in our van when we first purchased it. It was leaking above the bed in the front of the van. The Kedron boys found the leak, which happened to be 1 small screw that was only partially sealed in the hatch above the shower at the rear of the van. So it is very feasible that it could come from the AC even though it is 1 mtr away from the visible sign.

Good luck with it and I hope to enjoy Tassie as it is a fantastic place to be. We went for 6 weeks and retuned nearly 4 months later ................. way too much to see

Cheers Tony

Hi Laurie & Mal,

I removed the A/C interior cover assembly & the associated tin ware (ducting) to access the mounting bolts for the unit. The mounting/securing bolts were not tight & they weren't loose either (if u know what I mean). There no no obvious water tracking signs, but there appeared to be a couple places that where lacking in silicon, so I applied a few runs of the right stuff in the appropriate places.........tightened up the mounting bolts & reassembled the ducting & cover assemblies.

All I have to now is wait for it to rain & keep my fingers crossed that I have fixed my leak ...... with ur assistance .... thank you. :D

Tassie is such a beautiful place SO much to c & do as Steve has indicated.... we may extend our stay...... just as a side note for any one considering coming over here from the mainland January through to April is definitely the best time to come weather wise...... It's amazing actually peak tourist time here..... lots of vans & motorhomes etc around but still PLENTY of space & no queues anywhere to speak of.......such a change from coastal Qld & NSW

CU down the road......

G`day Tony & Annie

I hope your leak is now fixed. Don`t forget to see The Wall at Derwent Bridge if you haven`t already done so. :D

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hi Mal,

$2013.00 return &(booked four months ahead) that includes a cabin on the return evening trip to the mainland ( no cabin on the way over ....day trip)

Suggest you go to the 'Spirit of Tasmania' site & do a costing exercise as there are MANY different prices depending on the season.

within reason...... whatever it costs .....it's worth it........ an absolute minimum over here is six weeks.....we may extend!

We r here in Tasmania's summer and it is somewhat cool.....(beautiful days though)..don't think I would like to here in any other season than summer....... autumn & WINTER would be (swear) cold