Crossed Safety Chains

Tolley

Hi Colin

I would presume it is to prevent the coupling on the van from hitting the ground if it becomes detached. The crossed chains act as a sling, holding the coupling up.

At least that is my understanding. Never really thought too much about it. It's just something we have done from day 1

Hi Colin, you may already know but included this for info. The use of safety chains is regulated by the Motor Vehicle Standards Act and the build covered by Australian Design Rules -

Check out Sect 16 - http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx

Cheers

Hi

I have been crossing the chains ever since I had a towbar fitted by Hayman Reese many years ago.

The Hayman Reese employee advised it was HR preferred because in the event the hitch broke, the front of the A frame was suspended to some degree and did not

dig into the road surface or whatever.

It's easier enough to do and makes more sense than having great loops of chain almost dragging on the road.

Barry

Just testing!!! LOL!

Gayleen tells me she knew all about that, as well!! Women!

Thanks folks for your informative responses. I have had a torsion bar fall out after and excessively tight turn and it was caught by the crossed chains and prevented from hitting the ground.

Lastly, the collective wisdom and experiences of our KOG members is a valuable resource and a great reason to be a member.

BTW, on Wednesday we are heading to BNE to take the van to Brendale. Kedron has a new concept where they give the van a complete service, brakes, bearings, chassis, refrigeration and electrical etc for $500. Takes two days. Hoping to have a McHitch Auto coupler fitted at the same time. It will be a neat little 4000 km drive that gives us a break from removalist boxes and business. Looking forward to it.

Thanks once again for your responses.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I was at the factory last Tuesday and Tom told me about the service but he quoted $650! I didn't ask for any details as I had Vehicle Components service the brakes, bearings, etc. last year after our return home. They charged $312 so it's probably not apples for apples.

Regards

John

Auto coupler is due at the end of the month, son in law has three on order. That was the latest update as of last week from the manufacturer/supplier.

Crossed safety chains is a legal requirement right across the Country and has been for many years. It was one of the many things that we inspected for when doing road checks on trailers along with towing mirrors and I would love a dollar for everyone I booked for not having them.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Webby and Mayzee and Merv,

There is a good chance that the new auto coupler will not be available for me as Tom was not certain when they would take delivery. Keeping my fingers crossed. The price of the service was, I thought, $500 but I could be wrong. To get a good check over and service from the factory is a good investment for our van at this time and before our Corner Country trip. Hard to get that type of service up here, believe me.

Thanks Merv for that info. I have always just taken crossed chains for granted, the convention, and as I was hitching up this morning I just thought "I wonder why it is so?" Now I know.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin.

Please see my post in the members forum on the coupler, it's still a way off due to supply problems for Joe McInnes.

Hang about for the new 4.7 ton mentioned will be a much lighter and compact unit.

Cheers Rod.

Hi Colin,

"When hitching this morning I wondered why the convention is to cross the safety chains. Anyone know?

Regards

Colin "

also a question of geometry!

with the chains crossed and you make a sharp turn, say to the right, it prevents the near side chain from over tightening or stretching.

On the new Kedron 'full service option' I had mine done earlier this month.

It is a new service devised by Tom & Ashley to offer clients a complete van service with everything checked/serviced ( Chassis, Suspension, Bearings, Brakes, Silastic integrity, HWS, Heater, Doors, Dometic windows, Batteries, Solar Panels, Chargers and more.

as it was a new service they set an trial price of $500 for the first 4 vans booked to check their cost estimates but then had to adjust to the now current set price of $650.

I was more than happy with the list of work done/checked on the Topender and it also gave my the opportunity to have some other jobs ( a full fit out of LED lighting) while the van was there.

Needless to say I had no problems when having the heavy vehicle inspection for rego yesterday.

I reckon it's good value and my wallet will be another $650 lighter next year. :) :)

Regards,

JK.

Hi Greg and Cathy

Don't forget to upgrade your tow ball mount to greater than 3.5t if you have upgraded your van's weight above the 3.5t limit. We have just changed our van's rego over to Victoria from QLD for a considerable saving and it was one the items singled out for inspection by the Vic Roads Officer. Van is now rated 3.95t. our tow ball mount is 4.5t purchased from Towbars Australia in Nambour.

Cheers

Merv

G'day Greg/Cathy,

I have my inspection done locally here in Maryborough but just looking you seem to have a few in your area!

/>http://www.roadsafeqld.com.au

Had a look at this service and they seem to offer a mobile service as well which is always good. :)

Sorry but I can't seem to make the web address appear as a hyperlink.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JK.