Info required

Steve and Kez

Hello fellow Koggers,

I would like some info about the best places to stay and see in Kakadu and Litchfield NP's.

We are heading across from Beagle Bay (Broome) in June and have 4 weeks to see as much as we can inthis area and its surrounds. If time permits we may try and squeeze in Lawn Hill also.

We have seen most of the "Non" NP area, but were restricted on our last time in the area as we hadour dog with us.

We would prefer bushcamping but understand the being NP's, that will be restricted.

All information willbe appreciated.

P.S. : If you are inthe Beagle Bay Region, drop into the store and say G,day (except in June of course). We have room for a van or 2 ifrequired. The Dampier Peninsula is a breathtaking part of the world and extremelyworthy of visiting.

Cheers

I think you will enjoy staying at a couple of camp sites and basing yourself there for day trips to other spots. My suggestions would be Mardugal (near Cooinda) which has showers and toilets and is near Jim Jim Billabong, and perhaps at the caravan park in Jabiru township.

See http://www.kakadunationalparkaustralia.com/Camping_in_Kakadu.htm

There is a nice camp site at the Oenpelli Crossing, near Ubirr Rock. Well there used to be a nice spot there.....

A spot to camp which is well worth a visit is Gunlom, which has a large plunge pool at the base of some falls, and lovely pools up above the falls which can be accessed by a walking path.

Wherever you go, take heaps of mosquito repellent.

Chris

Hi we went to Litchfield last year, there's a bush type camp at Wangi falls, probably a parks set up,it was crowded , but we got there late . Lots of van parks in and around. we didn't get to Kakadu as planned a few reasons . some beautiful falls Florence, [a long walk down] Tolmer falls, too a bit of a walk , well for me and a lot of chubby people puffing [me too] .We took the van in as I get all lost without my home on wheels , but it restricts access to the "lost city" as only a bush track for vehicles.

Thank you for the info guys.

If anyone has more to add ................ please do as I would like to make the most of out time there

Thanks guys

Hi Steve & Kez

we thoroughly enjoyed our trip to both areas in 2011.

We took our time through both areas. From memory there was no "bush camping" in Kakadu NP. I

Cost in 2011 was $20/night (no power available)

I recommend a night @ Pussy Cat Flats - a camp ground inside the race course @ Pine Creek before heading into Kakadu along the Kakadu Hwy.

It has a lovely grassy spot, with power if you want, showers etc.

The bar / eating area run by the town folk during the "Dry" season is just 15 metres away with a great menu that changes daily (I think).

Call into the info centre @ The Mary River roadhouse to get your maps of the NP....or back at the well stocked info centre in Katherine.

We tended to move onto the next camp spot before doing the touring things.

We spent 8 nights in Kakadu. It was a late wet season, so some places were late in opening ie Jim Jim falls opened just days earlier than our 15th June visit. Twin falls was still closed.

Many lagoons in other areas were also closed. But we still got to see lots of places.

The campgrounds I mention below are all run by the NP people & caretakers collected your fees later in the day.

They are also in your Camps Aust Wide book, took big rigs & had toilets & showers.

We didn't pre book anything.

I recommend staying at Gunlom Falls as Chris mentioned. The 10 km road was quite corrugated.

I'm not sure why we didn't go into Maguk Gorge.

The other campgrounds we stayed at along Kakadu Hwy were Mardugal to then go & do the Yellow Waters cruise & visit Jim Jim / Twin Falls.

Next campground along the hwy was Muirella to go visit Nourlangie Rock Art which took us at least 1/2 a day.

We stayed in the Caravan park in Jabiru just to top up groceries & generally look around. We went & visited the interesting Bowall visitor Centre for more culture.

I also wanted to drive to Mamukala lagoon (On Arnhem Hwy) for some bird watching.

Merle campground was next near Ubirr. From memory this campground has more shaded sites.

We stayed 2 nights again to do the great sights of more rock art, climb up a lookout with wonderful views to Nardale floodplains & Arnhem land in the distance.

I recommend spending some time watching the tide come or go @ Cahills Crossing...watching big crocs float back & forth looking for barramindi. You can get a spot of fishing from a high point if you like fishing. Rangers also did guided morning tours...check at the little Border store which also has take away food etc & you can book a cultural East Aligator R cruise there which we enjoyed.

Along the Arnhem Hwy towards Darwin,we stayed @ Corroboree Park Inn, which wasn't too far from Corroboree Billabong to do some more bird watching. We took an afternoon sunset cruise @ Corroboree Billabong.

There's also a bush camp out @ Corroboree Billabong that we didn't know about. (wasn't in Camps 5 book)

There are more places to visit along these 2 highways that may interest you both. Once you get a NP map, you may see more that may interest you.

Whilst in Litchfield NP, we based ourselves for 3 nights @ Litchfield Safari Park which is just outside of the NP. The cost then for non powered was $20/N. We then did the driving to the various spots in the NP. http://www.litchfieldsafaricamp.com.au/

Camps Book 5 shows that Buley Rock Hole isn't recommended caravans. The place had droves of families around anyway.

I hope this helps you....it almost repeats some of the stuff in the link Chris suggested, but is a little more condensed.

If you've got time & like Barra fishing, try going down to Daly river (South of Litchfield NP)

Rod did a 1/2 day fishing trip to yield plenty of Barra with a fellow called Mousey. There are numerous campgrounds along Daly River.

Not sure if any are free camp spots though.

Have fun. If our times match up, we might cross paths with you @ Lawn Hill. We're heading to the Cape in 2 wks time, & from Cooktown around early June hopefully. Might be over near Lawn Hill by July. Unless of course there's more cyclones up that way.

Cheers

Sue

Thank you very much Sue, Like the other guys, your info is most helpful

Thank you

Steve

• 1 month later...

I have an additional question for those in the know.

Are you allowed to have open fires in Kakadu and Litchfield NP's

• 4 weeks later...

Steve and Kez,

Have a look at our blog should be in our signature block "Travelling Round" go to the 2010 entry, it covers our trip to Darwin which included Kakadu and Litchfield. Later entries include our round the block trip. Have a great holiday.

cheers