Gibb River Road

Mrs Lynn Astill

Hi all,

Lynn and I are planning to drag the Kedron down the Gibb in a week or two and also up to Kalumburu. We expect to spend some time in the usual spots, ELQ, Home Valley, etc etc. There seems to be an issue with "dump points" at some of these places. What have others done in this regard on the Gibb? Also, any things to look for, good or bad, on the way?

Rergads

Chris

Hi Chris and Lynn

You will absolutely love the Gibb River Road and it's highlights. The gorges are spectacular, our favourite being Bell Gorge.

On our trip we found a nice freecamp by the banks of the Pentecost River (Eastern side) and spent 3 nights watching all the travellers crossing (some with confidence and others with hesitation). The sunsets were beautiful also.

Can't comment on the dump point situation, but I don't recall even seeing an official dump point.

The road from Kununurra to ELQ is sealed now and depending on the timing of the graders, the road up to Kalumburu may be very slow going.

Wyndham is worth a day drive from Kununurra, just for the Barra Burgers at the Pub. Also Wyndham had the cheapest diesel in the area (by about 20c/ltr, but things could be different now).

Enjoy your trip.

Hello Chris and Lynn,

Webby has given you some good leads. In Wyndham there is a great Fish and Chip café on the left as you head north in town. You can't miss it. Very clean and modern. Great fresh barra!!

We completed the GRR last year and also two years before. Dump points? No. Can't recall any. The road houses, station stays etc all have toilets and we saved the serious stuff for them!! Otherwise you need to go bush some good distance from the road and dig a big hole.

There's plenty of good camp spots but one of my favourites is on top of a hill at a lookout about 5 km EAST of March Fly Glenn (Camps 7, WA 553). Also, just up the road towards Drysdale River Station you will cross the Gibb River. There is a good camp spot on the NW side. Also good camping on the SE side. See pics attached.

The road will probably be a bit of everything. Watch out for Britz 4WD being driven like missiles!!

Have a look at these two pics.

/>https://www.dropbox.com/s/538cr9843z4szz7/2013-07-13%2011.30.25.jpg

/>https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtk7kzguqjqkrhf/2013-07-10%2018.35.55.jpg

Regards

Colin

BTW, I am happy to send you a link to my trip reports on our trip along the GRR if you would like it.

Hi Chris

The Gibb River Road is a great adventure in itself, so take your time and enjoy.

We did the shuvel and hole trick several times. We didn't see any authorised dump points and the tourist facilities along the way don't like you using their septic tank systems.

From Drysdale Station we did a 2 hour flight over the region, and that was just great to see the Kimberly from another perspective. We did a similar flight from Kunnunara over Lake Arkyle and the Bungles.

Travel safe.

Pete.

Chris and Lynn,

My apologies as I have not sent you thr trip report as offered. The fact is, I think I have lost it. Six months ago I had an external hard drive "collapse" and I lost a lot of things including photos and trip reports. Incidentally, that is why I now store everything in the "cloud" in my Dropbox.

Regards

Colin

Hi Chris & Lynn,

We did it over a three week period two years ago and that was without doing ELQ which we'd done the year before. ELQ is a good week on its own.

Ditto, no dump points that I can recall.

Take your time there is sooo much to see, by far the very best of the country up that way. We also went to Kalumburu, but, only in our cruiser with roof top penthouse. The road from the Mitchell Falls turn off to Kalumburu has been the undisputed king of shocking roads for us and we've travelled on some bad ones when we did the Cape and Gulf country last year.

Enjoy the Kimberley, it's a special place.

John

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going up to Kalumburu it is worth going on the McGowan's Island. Not very far <20kms. Paul and Yvette run the camp there - lovely people and it's right on the beach. The fishing is awesome and the oysters something else. We also took the Bushtracker up to the Mitchell Falls campground, no drama's but the King Edward River was at about 700mm and pretty quick at the time. If the water is up I strongly suggest you walk through first before taking the van over. Otherwise you can leave it at the campsite on the eastern side of the KER and day trip up with just the vehicle. The camp site at the Falls is nothing special.

Regards

John

To all you knowable people on the Forum

Just a couple of questions re Gibb River Road and the Kimberlys.

We are leaving Melbourne on 3rd of June with the only itenary is to be in Kununurra on the12th for 3 nights and then back in Melbourne

in early September,I am considering packing our push bikes and was wondering if it would be worth while doing so. Also what are the regulations

regarding carring of alcohol up in that area .Although we have owned our van since August 2011 this is the first time we have been able to do a trip

in it so we can't wait

Regards Tony & Rhonda Kelly

Hi Tony & Rhonda,

You Can take alcohol along the Gibb River road and into most areas of the Kimberley. You will love the trip, especially since you don't have to rush.

Unfortunately you will be driving into Kununarra the same day we drive out but a couple that we will be meeting up with there (Kedron owners Martian and Amanda) on the 10th will also be doing the Gibb and I think they maybe staying a couple of extra nights. Maybe try and meet up with them. They are a great couple and the trip would never be dull.

We are on our way to Kakadu and Litchfield and then heading back to Broome and then down to Karagini NP in the Pilbara. In total we will be away for a month. We actually live at Beagle Bay in the Kimberley so if you are still around the area, drop in and say g'day. It is a magnificent part of the world up here and extremely worthy of a week or more visit, especially Middle Lagoon.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply, once we have finished the Kimberly we are heading down the west coast and was planing to do Karagini NP after Rhonda went to see her Doctor and he recomended it, and we have to take plenty of pitures to show him.

So you never know hopefully we may meet up and have a happy hour together,then again we are hoping to meet up with many travelers to gather some of their expereiences, we are at that age we need to be up in the warmer weather and away from

the cold so we are intending to do a lot more traveling and you are never to old to listen and learn from other people.

Regards Tony.

PS" Also to Chris & Lynn who started this Post we will be keeping an eye out for just to say hello