Shower drain hole

Hermit

Hi all, we have a TopEnder with a combined shower/toilet.

When we use the washing machine we occasionally get water from the washer pushing the shower floor plug up and spewing water over the shower floor.

It doesn't do it every time but probably every 3rd-4th wash.

Has anyone had this problem and how have you solved it?

The drain from the washing machine connects directly below the shower drain vent and then out to the side of the van. I thought maybe having 2 separate hoses, one from the washer and one from the shower running to the point on the side of the van. This might provide enough resistance to the water to prevent it from back tracking up the hose to the shower drain.

Any thoughts/ advice?

Rob

P.S. We have recently retired and hit the road for an indeterminate time, possibly 5 to 10 years.

Hi Rob

We have installed a one way valve, called a HepVo valve fitted in the drain line from the shower. This prevents any water or smells coming back up thru the line. We purchased from Reece plumbing in Brendale.

They are widly used in motorhomes or caravans with grey water holding tanks. It's worth a try.

Pete

I installed a 40mm PVC pipe across the back of the van and hooked the shower and sink into the side and the washing machine into one end.

The other end I added an adapter and pushed on 50mm flex pipe.

All components source cheaply from Bunnings.

The drain ran a lot faster and no more backflow issue.

You may find just increasing the size of your external diversion hose fixes the issue. I suggest trying it without the hose attached and see if the issue is still there. (Might be difficult if you are in a caravan park)

Enjoy the ride!

Our ATV (purchased second hand) has a slow-draining basin, and had water and gunk come up the shower drain when the sink was emptied. Even putting the plug in the shower did not work. The shower problem was solved by replumbing so that the shower drains independently of the basin and sink. I made up a Y push-on fitting to connect to a single drain hose so that there is only one drain hose required. However, the slow-draining basin has not been solved and no amount of flushing with hot water, cleaner etc has helped. I recall mentioning it to Tom and he believed that that is the way the basins are. Without removing the basin etc, a major job I suspect, it is not possible to access the piping from where it leaves the basin to where it can be accessed outside. If someone knows how to get to the internal piping easily, I'd love to know. I suspect that the internal piping develops a kink as a result of the basin hingeing up.

Regards, Barry