Replacing Suburban Anode

morribm

Hi,

I've changed the anode on several previous occasions so I'm not new to the process. However, our van has been parked for about six or seven months but we're about to head north for a few weeks and I considered an anode inspection was in order. It's amazing that some things that are second nature when on the road need one to consider a refresher course before embarking on the next journey!

Using a socket spanner, I was just about to remove the anode when there was a startling 'explosion' accompanied by a blast of water filled with the white gunk that one usually sees when the anode is removed. I was enveloped in this volcanic blast and ended up looking a bit like frosty the snowman but with a heart rate of 185 beats per minute! Now here's the disturbing part. The socket spanner was ripped from my grasp and ended up in the gutter on the other side of the road and the anode was rocketed onto our neighbour's driveway across the road! The force was so great that the anode rod snapped just where it joins the nut. I can't imagine what would have happened if any part of my body was in the path of that projectile but no doubt I could have sustained a very significant injury.

So the take home message is: Don't forget to bleed off the pressure in the tank by opening a hot water outlet in the van or even flipping up the lever on the pressure relief valve before removing the anode.

Cheers

Brian

Brian,

Yes the same thing has happened to me when checking the anode. The anode blew out of the hot water unit with enough force to rip the tube spanner from my hand and damage the thread and to cover me with a spattering of white gunk. However it was not as spectacular as the incident you describe which does sound quite dangerous. I was well aware of the need to bleed the system and admonished myself for forgetting such a basic thing.

We are a couple who "travel in patches" and store the van away in between. We agree with the need for a refresher course, caravanning is a series or routines and we find we get rusty on the simple usual processes we go through without thinking once on the road.

Safe travel.

Grahame

Hi Brian

I thought I was in a club of one so sort of pleased to hear that others too have forgot to bleed of the pressure first.

In my case, I was a bit baffled as to why the anode was hard to unscrew even with the socket and of course it was the load on the thread.

The anode shot out and hit the paling fence a couple of metres away with some force but brushed my side as it went past. Thankfully, it was just a brush.

But there is a positive side to this, and that is that it helps to expel a lot of the white gunk in the heater, although there was still a fair bit to be flushed out.

We can be sure we will not let this happen again.

Barry

We bought an '08 Cross Country late last year thatthe HWS has an anode. Our previous vans had Truma HWS which did not require an anode replacement. After reading the above stories I'm a bit concerned about changing the anode correctly. Is there a correct procedure that I should follow? Do I also have to flush the tank out?

I welcome any advice as I would hate to explain to the grand kids why I look like a snowman living in the sub tropics.

Clive

Hi all

The steps by steps in the link are a good guide however, I believe it is wise to flush the tank before screwing in the anode, or old, anode. I use a hose to squirt water into the tank via the anode hole a few times, letting it drain out between flushes. It is amazing how much gunk comes out.

Anode replacement is a safe procedure as long as you put the brain in gear before you start, which is what a few of us have failed to do!

Cheers, Bas

Hi all

The steps by steps in the link are a good guide however, I believe it is wise to flush the tank before screwing in the new, or old, anode. I use a hose to squirt water into the tank via the anode hole a few times, letting it drain out between flushes. It is amazing how much gunk comes out.

Anode replacement is a safe procedure as long as you put the brain in gear before you start, which is what a few of us have failed to do!

Cheers, Bas

Thank you all for the advice. Checked it all out over the weekend, all good, nothing blew up. I guess when we use the van in ten days time we will know if I put it all back together.

Clive

I and D

The anode is replaced relative to its condition. It's condition is dependant on a variety of factors including the water used. For example, bore water in remote areas will eat through an anode quicker than mains pressure water in a city.

In our ATV for two, we inspect its condition several times a year and then replace the anode, regardless of its condition, during the Christmas holidays when we are not travelling, as this is when we do our van maintenance. That way we always start our travelling with a new anode.

If you explore this and other forums you may find further articles on the subject including diagrams of the anode during various stages of ware. If you go to the link Webby provided on 22 May, you will see such diagrams and read additional information.

Cheers

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

What is the signs to detect if the anode requires replacement?

Hi Steve and Kez

To the best of my knowledge, the only way of knowing if an anode needs replacing is by screwing it out and inspecting it.

It is amazing just how quickly they can deteriorate. Prior to going to Woodgate for a month recently, the one in the HW tank was in fairly good condition. Out of interest, I pulled it out last week when we returned. Apart from all of the white crud that came out of the tank when the anode was withdrawn, I was surprised to see that the anode had corroded down to its central rod for part of its length. So, it has been replaced.

Regards

Barry

My rule of thumb is to replace it every 2 years. We use our van 3 or 4 times a year, the rest of the time its in storage. As others have noted, its amazing how much white gunk comes out when you flush the tank. I find it needs quite a lot of flushing (6 or 7 times) to get it all out. The problem if you don't (apart from damaging the HWS) is the gunk can get into your water pumps and lines, thereby causing blockages and problems on the road. So, I change them every 2 years and flush well when doing so. As long as you remember to release the pressure (as noted) its pretty straightforward.

Regards, Andrew

Hi there Andrew

Love your new Avatar depicting Haddon Corner. What a great camp spot but alas I seem to remember having a few problems finding my way home. Must have been caused by the cataracts I'm about to have surgery on.

Regards

John (with tongue in cheek)

Thank you guys,

I had better get off my backside and replace mine as the van is 4 years old and I have never replaced it as yet. Thankfully I have a spare as freight would cost me a fortune out here

Cheers

CURSE you people that got 'straight' over that sand hill..... I was just taking it nice & easy to show Peter, Helen Karen & Paul how easy it would be....LOL

Well guys,

Job done.

I believe I got my moneys worth out of that anode. All that was left was a bit of wire and a lot of white S*%t. I now know they don't last 4 years ....................LOL

Cheers

Yeah Tony,

We all understand that you were just showing them how not to do it.

Regards

John

PS: When I was a kid I remember being with my father and uncles net fishing at Barkers Rocks in winter. There was lots of Stones Green Ginger and rum involved around the beach camp fires. No one wanted to be on the deep end of the net!

For those interested, here is an article about bore water and it's effects (although relating to home HWS) but you can understand the need to flush the van HWS and check the sacrificial anode (Suburban HWS). http://www.build.com.au/bore-water-and-hard-water

Cheers

Andrew, Sally, Mayzee and Tony,

Love you new avatar Andrew. Tony, if you would like a Haddons Corner avatar I have one I could send you! LOL. Mayzee, all the best with the eye op. Look forward to "seeing" you again soon!

Regards

Colin