Truma E2400 Gas Heater Installation

Zolle

Question to those who have a Truma E2400 Gas Heater where is it installed and where do your pipes run?

I am installing a Truma E2400 Gas Heater but have found the wall outlet fitting of the exhaust/air inlet is too short to be able to form a seal on the inner wall.

Does your exhaust/air inlet run through the the wall as required by Truma instructions?

Where and how has your exhaust/air inlet been installed?

I am intending to fit the heater inside the water heater/pump box where there is plenty of space as anywhere else under the beds would mean loosing significant space.

Kedron apparently have no knowledge about fitting gas heaters.

Cheers

John

Hello John,

Funny you should put this posting on the forum today as we had a Truma E2400 gas heater installed today. We had asked Kedron to install one for us but they would only do diesel so this one was installed by Casey's RV's at Bundaberg Qld. It has been mounted on it's side above the mudguard along side the water heater tank and the exhaust/air inlet has been installed directly in the external side of the van. The inlet and the hot air outlet for internal use has been mounted in the cupboard door of the heater/pump box. The hose is quite long and flexiable to allow the cupboard door to be opened for access to water pumps etc. It is very neat fit. The control unit is mounted under the water tank guage on the side of the fridge. If you require photos let me know and I can send you some.

We lopok forward to using the heater when we go away next week.

Cherrs,

Clive

Hello John,

Funny you should put this posting on the forum today as we had a Truma E2400 gas heater installed today. We had asked Kedron to install one for us but they would only do diesel so this one was installed by Casey's RV's at Bundaberg Qld. It has been mounted on it's side above the mudguard along side the water heater tank and the exhaust/air inlet has been installed directly in the external side of the van. The inlet and the hot air outlet for internal use has been mounted in the cupboard door of the heater/pump box. The hose is quite long and flexiable to allow the cupboard door to be opened for access to water pumps etc. It is very neat fit. The control unit is mounted under the water tank guage on the side of the fridge. If you require photos let me know and I can send you some.

We lopok forward to using the heater when we go away next week.

Cherrs,

Clive

Hi Rob and Jewel

yes I think we will appreciate it next week that is why we could not visit until we had a heater. Mind you it has been cold here as well 2 and 3 degrees around 6.00am.

Clive

Hi all,

We have had our gas heater through two winters now. It is vented through the side of the van and located under the stove. The first winter it seemed to work satisfactorily, but we were only doing short trips in cold times. Now having spent the last few weeks travelling through NSW, Victoria & now SA we are considering changing to a diesel heater. This may seem drastic, but this is for several reasons.

1. If run all night you are lucky to get four nights out of a nine kilo gas bottle. That can be quite expensive in some areas where you can pay $35+.

2. When it is down to zero outside it struggles to bring the temperature above 15 degrees and takes over 2 hours to achieve the 15 degrees.

3. We have had to replace our gas regulator twice in 12 months due to a drop in flow rates which causes the unit to fail.

4. There are only a limited number of service agents with any experience with these units at present. So trial and error is their method of repair.

Our van is only 18 ft internal so larger vans will struggle to warm even more. Sorry to put a dampener on your intended installations but I thought I should share our experience with the gas heater. If anyone wants to ask questions about anything I have written here please feel free to PM me. Our gas unit may be up for sale in the next couple of weeks. Although I don't think this was a good sales pitch for it.

My next question is do I go for Dometic or Webasto diesel heater?

Cheers,

Glen.

Wow Glen,

No wonder Kedron doesn't fit them. We've had our Dometic diesel heater since the van was new 5 years ago and we are completely happy with it. No problems until last year when it began to smoke a lot on start up. We had it serviced and all is good again. While at Tamworth last April we had it on all night on several occasions and I am still amazed at the little diesel it uses.

Cheers

John

Hi Nev,

Ours was serviced by Caravan RV Works now at 12-14 Enterprise Street Kunda Park Qld Ph 07 5445 6662 (previously at Forest Glen). In addition to the service we had a fuel filter fitted. At $470 all up it wasn't cheap but as I said before all is good now. Dometic recommended them as the closest service agent to us.

Regards

John

Hi all,

We have had our gas heater through two winters now. It is vented through the side of the van and located under the stove. The first winter it seemed to work satisfactorily, but we were only doing short trips in cold times. Now having spent the last few weeks travelling through NSW, Victoria & now SA we are considering changing to a diesel heater. This may seem drastic, but this is for several reasons.

1. If run all night you are lucky to get four nights out of a nine kilo gas bottle. That can be quite expensive in some areas where you can pay $35+.

2. When it is down to zero outside it struggles to bring the temperature above 15 degrees and takes over 2 hours to achieve the 15 degrees.

3. We have had to replace our gas regulator twice in 12 months due to a drop in flow rates which causes the unit to fail.

4. There are only a limited number of service agents with any experience with these units at present. So trial and error is their method of repair.

Our van is only 18 ft internal so larger vans will struggle to warm even more. Sorry to put a dampener on your intended installations but I thought I should share our experience with the gas heater. If anyone wants to ask questions about anything I have written here please feel free to PM me. Our gas unit may be up for sale in the next couple of weeks. Although I don't think this was a good sales pitch for it.

My next question is do I go for Dometic or Webasto diesel heater?

Cheers,

Glen.

Hi Glen

Re your points

1. That is about right at the rated maximum use of 170g/hr - have your always run the unit at maximum?

2. If the gas unit is rated at 2.4kW what size diesel heater will you go for?

3. Why should a gas regulator fail because of the gas heater which must be using far less gas than a 4 burmer stove or a BBQ which would use far more gas?

4. There are about 70 heater service agents scattered around Australia in high population areas and I did wonder about the service problem but with respect to how reliable the 2 electronic boxes are as my guess would be these are none serviceable and have to be replaced to source problems.

I hope I have positioned our controller in a suitable position.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

1. We usually have it set on 4 or 5 which is its highest setting, but it rarely reaches the point where it cuts out and never when the outside temp is around zero.

2. They rate the gas at 2.4kw which is higher than the diesel, but I can't explain why the diesels still seem to perform much better.

3. I think the regulators fail due to the build up of black fluid within the lines that is often the cause of a drop in flow rates. Once the flow rate drops the heater will shut off even though your gas burners still work, but somewhat reduced as well. As you are going through more gas this occurs more often.

4. Yes, there are many Dometic agents, but very few have any knowledge or experience with gas heaters, whereas diesel is far more common. The control modules are pretty much throw away as you say. There was a fault when we first got ours and they just replaced it.

We had our control switch positioned beside the bed on the wardrobe so it could be turned on and off from in bed.

The gas system is working ok, but not as effective as I believe it should and nowhere near as efficient as the diesel systems seem to, according to comments from many people.

Cheers,

Glen

Good Morning all

We are a Kedron owner and also sell and install diesel heaters if you would like more information i would be owner to happy to help mobile 0418130971 email gyost@toolstas.com.au

We arrived home today after spending 8 nights in temperatures below 5 degrees and some of the nights were around zero. Our new Truma E2400 gas heater kept us nice and warm. During this time away we used the gas HWS once a day, boiled the kettle on the gas stover about six times a day, the fridge was on gas the whole time, except for four hours when we changed location. We turned the gas heater on around 6pm and turned it off around 8am the following morning. The thermostat was set at 3 and a couple of times when it was very cold we turned it to 4, but found this too hot after awhile. During this time we used approximately two thirds of a 9kg bottle of gas.

We had a gas heater in our previous Kedron van for two winters and spent a lot of those winters in cold places and never noticed an excessive use of gas. We had this new gas heater installed in our latest Kedron earlier this month and we are happy with it's performance.

Sandra and Clive