Landcruiser 200 Series or Silverado

Tolley

Hello Koggers,

My 100 Series TD is getting to the stage of being replaced. Replacement is a $100,000 or thereabouts decision.

There is no doubt that the Landcruiser is the most common vehicle seen with a Kedron in tow. However, the Silverado is gaining popularity. I love my Tojo but the extra towing and load carrying capacity of the Silverado is attractive.

Within our membership there is a wealth of experience with both vehicles. Which way should I go?

Regards to all

Colin

Hi Colin

We have just sold our Top Ender that we towed with a Chev Silverado. Towing with the Chev is effortless. We had a 200 Series and although there were no problems with pulling it we were worried that with all the stuff we were going to add for extended touring we knew that at the very least we would be legal with regard to weight. Which leads me to my point - we have an awesome 2011 Silverado 2500HD for sale complete with heavy duty canopy (for the boat), full sized draws in the the rear with twin fridge slide outs. Its only done 25259 ks and was registered in Australia in July 2012. We did a three month trip to Qld last year and now that we've sold the van we don't need the car and we are about to put it on Carsales for under $100k. Let me know if you want some pics. We are in Hobart.

Regards

Kate

I wouldn't part with my Silverado for quids. We have just done a two month trip from Melbourne to the top of the Cape and return and ended up with an average of 18.8 litres per 100km. They are an unbelievable tow vehicle and on more occasions than I can think of I had to check the mirrors to make sure the van was still there, effortless tow. We spoke to numerous Land Cruiser owners towing big vans and they couldn't believe the economy we were getting, but when you tell them that on 100kph you are only doing approx 1600 revs so your motor is just ticking over. The only problem is parking the truck in shopping centres and then we park away from the crowd and end up with less damage. We had our Top Ender re rated to 3950kgs and don't have a problem now of watching our weight. One less thing to worry about. Yes, the vehicle is extremely comfortable. The only thing I have done to ours is to fit a long range fuel tank, canopy and shortly after our trip to the Birdsville races in a couple of weeks a set of rear air bags which will help to remedy the 'diving' you can get with a heavy van and no WDH and it will also help to level the unit. With the van on the back the rear of the truck drops approx 50mm, which is nothing really to worry about.

Cheers

Merv

Craig,

I have sent you an email. Yes, I am interested. If you don't get my email respond on this thread.

One of my concerns with the Silverado is tyres. Am I right in thinking they come with either 18 inch or 20 inch and tyres in those sizes are hard to come by away from the big cities. My van has 16 inch rims. Also Craig, what hitch do you have?

Tony, yes. I still have you in mind but I am getting more and more interested in the Silverado due to the merging of safety and capacity they offer.

Regards to all

Colin

My 2012 Chev come with 20"s so I purchased a set of 18" rims from the US of A at a quite reasonable price as they are easier to get. I can put you in contact with the person I dealt with over there if you need it. The new 200 Series run standard 18's now so the tyres are only going to be easier to get, but outside of the big cities even Toyota drivers are going to find it hard. As long as you have a contact to supply tyres it will not be a concern, always an extra spare.

Cheers

Merv

Well seeing I am up late ---and we use the old R.R . apart from the Kedron for hols , we do "professional" towing, [part time] anything, any size, any condition all over Aus , up to 35 ft, too , new vans ,medieval vans , not looking for work , ! just saying..:)

Now this Silverado will need all the power and torque that is can deliver

Colin

Talk about having an ocean view,how good is that.

John

Tolley,

That's an F Truck in the picture .......... that's why he is in that situation. If he had a Silverado or better (GMC) , that would have never happened as they will pull Christ off the cross ....... LOL

My recommendation is go drive a Silverado, you won't even be able to spell Landcruisserr after that.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Colin

Big decisions !!!! Just a few thoughts.

There is no doubt a Silverado has enormous towing and load carrying capacity, but it's not very good as your 'daily drive' around town. Depending on your house design, it may not even fit in the garage and so where do you garage it. Then there is the servicing issue, who can service them and where do they get the information from ie service manuals and parts. With the long wheel base, overall length and turning circle you might find it difficult in and around caravan parks, and we all use them from time to time.

The 200 series Landcruiser the other hand, does have the power and torque the tow your Kedron wherever you want to go. It does have a weight issue, and there has been many discussions of various forums regarding this. The vehicle can be your 'daily drive', and is more user friendly around town and in caravan parks. Before a major trip we put our 200 series/ Kedron over the weigh bridge to ensure its within limits.

As you know, there are Toyota agents dotted all over the country, so servicing and parts are not a problem. We have owned Landcruisers since 1980, and never had a major problem with any of them. They are like a faithful dog; look after them and they will do anything for you.

It's all about compromise, and IMO the 200 series is the best compromise.

Cheers mate

Pete

Hello Colin,

Pete does make a valid point. It won't fit in most garages.

As for the rest .............. well. My GMC is only 36mm wider than my Patrol C/Chassis. You can take it to any licenced mechanic for servicing as it just another V8 diesel 4x4 to them. I use Holden dealers as most the common parts are Holden and so far they have the service manuals. The air, oil and fuel filters are A C Delco and are available anywhere you would normally buy those types of product and I have found them to be a lot cheaper than Toyota and Nissan genuine.

As for the turning circle, .....go drive one and I am sure you will be amazed. As for caravan parks, I always ask for a site to suit a 23 foot van, mostly due to the extended draw bar which I did before I bought the GM anyway.

You can use top gear to tow without fear of the auto giving out and you can use cruise control with out it dropping out and while the LC may have just enough power to tow the van, it lacks exhaust brakes and the much larger brakes to pull it up in a hurry and the LC is working to its upper limits .... the Chev is not working.

Personally it doesn't bother me which way you go, but make a informed decision on facts, not what people think they know. I found that every single person who tried to sway me away from buying my GMC, had NEVER driven one. I can't emphasise enough..................... take one for a drive.

Do it right and be legal

Cheers

• Like 1

G'day Pete,

Like you, I am a Toyota fan. Just love 'em. They are like a faithful dog, as you say. My concern is that the LC, all of them, are on the limit towing a TE, especially if you need to fill the 300 L water tanks. Despite towing my TE a long way through all sorts of terrain with my faithful 100 Series TD I have always been concerned about being on the limit and often illegal. That is why Gayleen does not drive.

My thoughts are that a Silverado with an auto coupler McHitch, airbags and no WDH will make it a breeze foe Gayleen to hitch and go should ever the need arise where I cannot help her. I am an old bugger as you know!!

Servicing? Any Holden dealer. The Duramax motor and Allison transmission are pretty stock standard and, let me tell you, they are a wonderful combination. Size? The Silverado is 88mm wider and 852mm longer than a 200 Series. Around town I don't think size is a bother and I always park well away in the empty spaces at Supermarkets etc. irrespective of what I am driving. I occasionally have some problems with the 100 Series in car parks, sometimes height sometimes narrow park spots and tight turning areas. There is always other options. Similar in caravan parks. There has been plenty of times where my current rig has not fitted. Once again, there has always been a way around it.

Garaging? Yes, most garages in homes are too small. I cannot get my LC into the garage of the home we are presently renting unless I fold the rear view mirrors in and then it is an absolute squeeze for me to get into our out of the vehicle. It just fits length wise. Not to worry though, as I have just purchased a 15 acre farm that has lots of big sheds!! Now I am "all hat and no cattle"!

I am still going through the exercise and at the same time looking around for around 100k lazy dollars. BTW, they come with a 250,000km and seven year warranty.

Pete, thanks for your interest and valuable comments. I let you know what I decide!

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

You will have to get the Silverado re rated because at stock standard they come in at 4536kgs which is Light Truck licence endorsement so it is a simple matter of having it derated (they do nothing) merely paperwork to 4495kgs and then can be driven on a normal car licence. The other disadvantage if you don't get it re rated it is zero blood alcohol. Mine doesn't fit in the garage either, minor problem and Di loves to drive it and tow the van. Just go and drive one...

Cheers

Merv

Hi Colin

The fact is, we were in the same dilemma mid 2011. I drove up to Performax in Gympie for a test drive of a Silverado. Stepping from a 1998 manual 100 series Landcruiser into the demo Silverado was fantastic. The salesman let me drive up along the Bruce Highway for about 20km, it was an awesome thing to drive.

On the way back I asked to drive through the Gympie CBD; the vehicle was too long to fit into a regulated street parking space, and too wide and long to fit into a carpark space at Woolies. Since the Silverado was also going to be our daily drive, the parking experience turned me off. We would have had to buy a small town car. Paying 2 regos and insurances to drive each one 4 to 6 months a year didn't make sense.

Hence, our compromise was an easy decision to suit our needs, In August 2011 we purchased our 200 series as our daily drive and to tow our ATV for two. It's booked in next week for a 100,000Km service, we don't travel much!!!!!!

Cheers

Pete

Hi all

we bought our chev second hand 8 months ago & like it so much a new one is on the way..very safe & easy to drive..parking can be a prob & we have a Camry at home..as for the 00 bac i think that is not so in victoria..it is .05 as per normal vechicle up to a higher gvm.

cheers Danny

Pete, Pete, Pete,

It has obviously been too long between drinks!

I have owned LCs for a long time and am a convert! I have ventured to the dark side, and would never touch a Ford before.

I went the whole way and went the F450 - 6350kg GVM. I can take anything I want!

The LC200 I had was way over the limit - i wasn't even game to weigh the Kedron!

It did handle it OK, but put a heavy van on the back of the F450 and, well, you wouldn't go back!

We have sold the Kedron and purchased a Southern Cross 5th wheeler with an ATM of 4500kgs - so much space and the F truck does not even flinch when a truck passes, or a dip in the road, whatever.

Jane can even fit all her shoes and jackets in!

Skip the Silverado and go straight to the F truck!

post-29-0-22796700-1408612110_thumb.jpg

Hi David

I think I saw your blue Kedron out at the factory a week or so ago, it was there for a service.

Congratulations to you and Jane on your new rig, enjoy.

We'll have to catch up some time.

Cheers

Pete

For those interested here is a thread on the Chevvy Silverado on the Caravaners Forum -

http://caravanersfor...p?f=106&t=47999

Hold the line Ann, not many of us 100 Series left. Looks like the Chevvy's becoming the new Kedron tug of choice but we're staying true to the Toyo!

Best regards, Andrew

Guys,

We manage the store at Beagle Bay and we get to see all the rigs that venture up this way. This season I am astounded at the amount of Chev's, GMC's, F Trucks and Dodge Rams towing the various vans.

I think people (even the oldies) are starting to realize the benefits of the bigger/ better tow vehicle especially as the vans are getting bigger and heavier.

So I guess not everyone feels threatened by driving the larger vehicle.

Cheers

Hi David

I think I saw your blue Kedron out at the factory a week or so ago, it was there for a service.

Congratulations to you and Jane on your new rig, enjoy.

We'll have to catch up some time.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Best wishes to you and Margaret.

Are you travelling at the moment?

Guys,

We manage the store at Beagle Bay and we get to see all the rigs that venture up this way. This season I am astounded at the amount of Chev's, GMC's, F Trucks and Dodge Rams towing the various vans.

I think people (even the oldies) are starting to realize the benefits of the bigger/ better tow vehicle especially as the vans are getting bigger and heavier.

So I guess not everyone feels threatened by driving the larger vehicle.

Cheers

Steve, it's not just the safety in the bigger vehicle. The added benefit of things that Toyotas don't have like heated and cooled seats as standard...

Hello Jacky Jacky,

That is a good link that you provided. From this and other forums I cannot find any criticisms of the Silverado other than size related issues such as parking. Certainly, we Ozzies are not accustomed to big motor vehicles as are the Americans.

To me, it is the peace of mind that the Silverado provides due to its capacities in load carrying, braking and power that are attractive. Mind you, I find the heated and cooled seats and many other creature comforts attractive as well.

Where are you at the moment? Wherever you may be I hope your are both well and having fun.

Regards

Colin