Landcruiser 200 Series or Silverado

Tolley

Thank you all for your comments and advice. The torsion bars and hangers are now stored in my garage.

I am in the process for upgrading from a 6 tonne autoglide McHitch to a 6 tonne auto-coupler McHitch. Attached is a photo of the hitch I will use. It is a Titan by Reese, rated at 8165kg for a trailer and 907kg ball weight. The hole in the end has an ID of 33 mm (1 ¼) which is perfect for the 6 tonne auto-couple receiver.

My current McHitch has been great over what must be four years and a lot of km's. The reason for the change is to make it as easy as possible for my dear lady to hitch should anything happen to me while we are "out there". It also makes it easier for me!

Regards and thanks again Danny, Steve and Merv.

post-986-0-55647700-1427583545_thumb.jpg

Hi Colin

Since owning the chev back in 2011 I have never used the WDH and have never had any issues with the van even when the better half is driving weather it be off road or passing road trains etc.

I still us use the WDH hitch tongue because I have been unable to get one that is rated to carry the weight with enough height so the van would be level when towing. The one you show looks pretty

good but even if I turn it upside down I still won't get the height I need so looks like I will have to see if an engineer can make me one up.

Regards Tony

Hi Merv

I took your advice and had a look at towbarsaustralia and put an order in for the same one you said last night and this morning was told it has already been

shipped today.

Thanks Regards Tony

• 4 months later...

post-1371-0-72978900-1440043853_thumb.jpHi All,

Well we have joined the bowtie brigade.

Picked up our 2012 model and drove it back to Darwin from Townsville.

In a word WOW.

Drove like a dream and only used 9.8 lts per 100 kms.

Average speed around 110.

Better economy than our hilux.

A little bit bigger when amongst traffic but I am sure we will get used to it.

Will not be able to hitch up the ATV for a few months as it is currently in Geraldton with the LC.

It has a hard lid on it and we are trying to figure out how we can install the boat on top without removing or destroying it.

I guess the main option is to install a canopy on it.

Don't want to install a Telstra type canopy on it.

The other thing is where do you all fit the UHF.

In the LC we have installed behind the dash with the full remote hand piece only outside.

thanks Doug and Lis

• Like 1

Good morning ..

the ute does look good..

i bought the TX 3100 & fitted it on the roof up near the mirror. fits good & looks pretty neat. had no trouble pushing the coax & wire behind the trim. the uhf arial i fitted on the opposite side to the standard radio arial. you will find [i think] a mounting bracket the same as for the radio on the other sid.

not very good & uploading pics but if you email me i can send some.. dscurran&bigpond.com

regards Danny

Hi Barramundi,

Congratulations on your purchase.

I am sure you will be very happy with your choice as you will now understand the whole concept of "relaxed towing", which is something that is unachievable with an under rated tow vehicle like a LC or less when you have a heavy van.

I can tell you that you will be continually surprised by the excellent fuel economy once you start towing and astounded by the power and performance you will have once you hook up the van, not to mention the braking ability of the exhaust brakes.

Happy travels.

• 2 weeks later...

Has any one heard any more about the Dodge Ram with the conversions being done by Walkinshaw Racing, We were in Cairns today & called into Irelands who are the Doge dealers & they have heard nothing, A few months ago David Ireland had a half page add in the Cairns Post saying September / October they should be here. I have seen where one of the partners who were going to bring them in, in numbers is being sued for $30 mil. so maybe it will not happen.

Neville.

• Like 1

Hi Doug and Lis

For info about the location of the CB and radio fitment go to www.duramaxforum.com in the General discussion - interior put in the search for CB antenna mounting location. Any other questions about your Chev can also be found on this site, they have helped me out a couple of times.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Merv,

Thanks for that.

I will check it all out.

Also debating whether it is necessary/essential to change the wheels to 18 inch.

Canopy type is still a subject of discussion and debate.

thanks Doug and Lis

Hi Doug

Give it some serious thought, I did. Do some checking where you are to see if you have a supply of 20's and how easily they can ship to an isolated area should you need it. There was a truck at Birdsville Races last year that had Coopers in 20's all round and the prices I had in Melbourne were just a tad under $700 each and then the spare was incompatible with them as it is only a higher profile 18" rim. I don't think that you will fit a 20" spare in the compartment under the truck, the Coopers S/T Maax's at 275/70's that I am running only just fit in. We have nearly done 30k on ours now and they have performed brilliantly on all road and off road types and wearing quite well. If you decide to stay with 20's and are in need of spare rims then I have four available. There is a guy I have dealt with in Roy, Utah via Ebay that usually has 18" oem rims at some very good prices and his shipping costs are reasonable. I was in Performax in Gympie a couple of weeks ago for a sticky beak and they had a supply of 20's but I don't know what price, if it is anything like their truck prices they will be dear. Hope this helps.

Canopy, we have a Snug Top at around 3.5K colour coded, if i had the money I would put a camper back on with gull wing doors and the spares on the rear.

Let me know and I will try to find his details if you cannot get rims here.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Merv,

I may chase you up later for the tyres and rims from the US.

Ours have done 50 k and still OK at the moment.

I do like the practicality of the Telstra canopy but it makes it look like a delivery truck.

I think it spoils the look of them.

We will not be doing too many of the dusty tracks with it as we have done them in a tent.

If we did not need to put the boat on the top we would keep the hard lid on it.

Just too difficult to modify it and still work.

May end up selling the hard lid.

thanks Doug

Hi Doug

I have kept the 20ins rims on my 2011 silverado and fitted Micky Thompson LT305/22/20 Baga MTZ muds. Last year

I damaged a rim up in the Bungle Bungles and had to change it and had no problems fitting it into the spare wheel

compartment, 18 & 20ins tires have close to the same diameter because the 18s have a higher sidewall.

I am looking at fitting LT285/55/20 BF Goodridge alterains or Micky Thompson ATZ P3.

Cheers

Kakadu

Hi Merv and Doug,

Hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in here. I have used MT ATZ and ATZ P3's for a few years and I reckon they are a great tyre. I have used them on my Landcruiser and Top Ender. On the Landcruiser I was getting 100,000 km out of them and much more, of course, on the van. The only downside was the noise on the blacktop, especially at lower speeds. Because of the noise factor I have fitted MT STZ's on the Silverado and they have proven to be fantastic so far. They have been on there for the last 30,000 km. very happy with them, on and off road.

Regards

Colin

Merv,

Mine are 18 inch and I paid $500 per tyre. Sounds expensive but if they give 100,000 km then they are good value. BTW, the vehicle had Wranglers on it and they were downright dangerous in the wet on the blacktop. Not good when you live in Far North Queensland.

Colin

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

There is an interesting article on the reliability of common-rail diesels in the current issue of Caravan &motorhome On Tour. The Isuzu D-Max (Bosch System) gets a good report.

Regards

Colin

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Well after a while the Chev has spent some time in front of the ATV.

Fitted the UHF under the dash with the remote handpiece on the console.

Removed the drifta drawers and fridge slide from the 200 series and invested in a new national lunar fridge for the slide.

(The Engel is almost 30 years old)

The Hayman Reece weight distribution hitch was a bit low, so we got a direct hitch from towbars Australia which is a whisker high but OK.

Hooked up the van and headed south from Darwin to Brisbane.

Rolled along quite OK at mostly 95 kms/hr for a few thousand k's.

Fuel worked out at 15.5 lts per 100ks. (200 averaged 21/100ks)

Cruise control works a treat except in hilly country.

Down the Drummond range near Alpha with the exhaust brake and tow haul mode I did not touch the brakes.

Tow mode is also great in the city with traffic lights and dumb drivers.

Only issue we had was the rig seemed to do a bit more diving than the 200 series.

One of the solutions suggested was to use an air-hitch on the truck.

Has anyone used one of these and do you think they are worth it.

Overall the Chev is quite a bit better than the LC to tow with.

Currently in Brisbane at the Samford Plaza while the van is being attended to.

The Chev got the Concierge scratching his head as to where he was going to park it.

Only issue we have now is we need to sell our 2012 Hilux as we now no longer need it.

Two vehicles is enough at one time.

Doug and Lis

All you Chev owners are a bad influence.......

I have dug deep.....and located a new vehicle a 2015 GMC Denali in Vancouver, (in the colour & trim we like).

Performax are doing the conversion for me as geographically it makes sense, we will be living in Maryborough.

I have been (so far) .........impressed with the Performax operation/experience, hopefully this will continue!

I expect delivery to me in approximately three months???????

I would also like to mention John Bakker from American Victorian Imports @ Traralgon, although I didn't purchase the vehicle through him (as he couldn't locate the colour/trim we wanted) he runs a very professional operation, & I would have no hesitation in recommending him. I plan on purchasing my new front bar from John, which he designed & will be some recompense for him in exchange for the hours he freely gave me.

So I have a tricked up 2013 VX diesel for sale.......any offers or info get back to me.

Im as excited as a young kid on Christmas Eve....... lol

CU down the road

• Like 2

Hello Tony,

Finally........................about bloody time. You have made the right decision. I am sure you won't regret it.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1