Landcruiser 200 Series or Silverado

Tolley

Hi Neville

Are the sensors removable from the bar similar to the Land Rover Discos (they pop in/out) if so you could have a bar drilled to suit and slip the sensors in.  Just a thought.  

I have just had a quick look at their web site and the sensors look almost identical to the Disco so they should be removable (don't cut) and have the new bar drilled accordingly, if they will do it.

Cheers

Merv

Good Afternoon Merv,

I am going to look at this as I do not pick it up until Tuesday the 17/5/16, then I will be able to have a good look & also for another fuel Tank as I will take the tub off & put an integrated Tray & canopy on it & spares can hang off back of canopy, so fuel can go where spare was?????? al going well.

Regards Neville

• 2 weeks later...

Well we picked up our new Dodge Ram a week ago from Irelands in Cairns, the delivery & service was just great, we were taken around to meet the service manager, then the Lady doing the delivery went through everything possible a real mind blowing experience explaining everything. They filled it with fuel also the adblue & also gave us a 20 lt. drum of

adblue. They rang the next day to see if we were happy with the pre-delivery, then rang again after a week to see if all was okay & I said it was still going & had not broken down.

I know it is only early days but got 13.1 Lt. per 100 Km. [ not towing] with the on board fuel management system, coming home to Cooktown I will see how this compares to actual when I fill up at the pump. Now we just have to fit it out, Bull Bar, Radio, Extra fuel & filter, remove the Tub & put an integrated tray & canopy on & 2 spares then we are ready to 

travel again.

Neville & Kay.

• 1 month later...

Neville and Kay,

Welcome to the dark side.  I have had my Chev Silverado since late 2014 and I just love it.  13 L/100 around town, not towing, is normal from my experience.  Towing is a relaxing experience and a whole lot safer.

Regards

Colin

• Like 1

Have you driven a Yank Tank off road, at least one is totally legal regarding the weight which one is towing with a Yank Tank, where there is no way you can be with a Landcruiser, so this leads to a happier & stress free travelling.

Neville

• Like 1

We have also bitten the bullet, in a different manner to many in this thread.

We are replacing our NW 2013 Pajero which legally and safely tows our Kedron with a Series 200 GX Landcrusier.  We have been very happy with how our Kedron XC3 single axel tows behind the Pajero. However, we are travelling a lot more now we are retired and we were looking at a new 4wd for the long term (10 years+).

The LC 200 in the povery pack version after some tough negotiation was about $12K to $15K more than a new Pajero or Prado.  So after some shopping around and much thinking we thought the change was worthwhile. There was a lot of pressure from sales people to sell us a GXL or VX, both  which were beyond our budget and had lots of fancy bits we were not interested in; note, we are former hi lux and 110 Landrover owners and very use to a poverty pack 4wd.

The GX LC 200 meets most of our requirements to tow our ATM 2.5 tonne Kedron economically and with safety. The GX has the 5 star NCAP, same engine, same gear box, similar body,  simpler suspension (no KDSS) as the GXL, VX , Sahara models, but with 5 seats and vinyl floors, which are a plus for us.  So with some modiications, costing about $5K, such as cargo barrier, Smartbar, Waterwatch, tow pro elite and side steps the LC200 should meet our travelling and towing needs for the next few years.

We have placed our order and expecting the new tow in Sep/Oct.

• Like 3

Interesting  comment from Andrew and Sally.

I wonder if they have ever driven a "BIG HEAVY YANK TANK"????????????? As most people who have the ........... "less positive" comments about things they have never had anything to do with the subject.

From all the outback, off road places we have travelled with our van and our "BIG HEAVY YANK TANK" compared to the places we have travelled with our 200 series (when we had it), I can genuinely say with hand on heart, the big heavy yank tank flogs the under powered, under performing, thirsty  200 series.

I have been astounded by the offroad capabilities of my big heavy yank tank and I can assure you it has been extensively tested.

I am happy to concede that an empty, unhooked 200 series would maneuver better ............... but who has an empty vehicle when travelling?

Enjoy what you have no matter what that is, but don't put something down if you have never tried it.

4 hours ago, Neville and Kay said:

Have you driven a Yank Tank off road, at least one is totally legal regarding the weight which one is towing with a Yank Tank, where there is no way you can be with a Landcruiser, so this leads to a happier & stress free travelling.

Neville

Nonsense!

22 minutes ago, Steve and Kez said:

Interesting  comment from Andrew and Sally.

I wonder if they have ever driven a "BIG HEAVY YANK TANK"????????????? As most people who have the ........... "less positive" comments about things they have never had anything to do with the subject.

From all the outback, off road places we have travelled with our van and our "BIG HEAVY YANK TANK" compared to the places we have travelled with our 200 series (when we had it), I can genuinely say with hand on heart, the big heavy yank tank flogs the under powered, under performing, thirsty  200 series.

I have been astounded by the offroad capabilities of my big heavy yank tank and I can assure you it has been extensively tested.

I am happy to concede that an empty, unhooked 200 series would maneuver better ............... but who has an empty vehicle when travelling?

Enjoy what you have no matter what that is, but don't put something down if you have never tried it.

Just expressing my view. Apparently you guys are allowed yours but not anyone who may have a different point of view. The topic title would suggest views on either vehicle are relevant.

Healthy, non confrontational comment, is ALWAY welcome on this forum.....NOT implying it isn't.....but let's keep it that way!

• Like 2

Andrew and Sally,

I am sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.

Yes you are most welcome to express your opinion on this site. That is what makes it a great site.

However, what I really prefer is the vast wealth of information from all the people with the "Real Experiences" and not a "Presumed" belief of what might be. .................. For that, I can go on Facebook.

Like I keep saying on here. The best things in life are the things you are most happy with and if that is a 200 series ................... good for you. Life is to short not to be happy.

Cheers

• Like 1

I feel a bit sad about the confrontational posts above, I did not join this group to put up with this type of nonsense. The above post was my first for some time and was posted in a way that I feel is the real purpose of this forum, which is to promote useful exchange of information for Kedron owners.  Some months ago I posted some information about a water bladder I had fitted to my 4WD in a members only part of this forum and was disappointed in the negative comments; I did not bother replying to some of the inane negative comments.

There is a bit too much of mine is bigger or better than yours above, how about limiting comments to be positive and constructive. Apologies are good, but are not necessary if you think before saying negative things about other members or their kit. We all can learn from each other so please refrain from making this forum an unpleasant place to visit.

• Like 4

Andrew & Sally

What is nonsense, not being legal with towing with a Landcruiser our 17ft 6inch Internal Top Ender Loaded was over the 3500kg so I am guessing a 19 feet 6 inch internal Top Ender would be heavier, or happier & stress free towing with a Yank Tank.

Neville

Not all vans are over 3500kgs, our 18' internal 2007 TE weighs in at just under that weight fully loaded (weigh bridge docket) and since changing over to lithium is a further 100kg's lighter.

The reason we have not upgraded to a 20' internal TE (though we paid the deposit) is that we could not possibly tow the new van with the cruiser, because of the van weight.

We are staying with our current van and very happy with the tug.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Since my last post,which received some negative feedback, we have travelled around 15k with our Silverado/ATV combination.

The shocker hitch which we have been using has had some refinements, also the airbag pressure.

Mainly though is a set of Bilstein shockers on the rear.

Current configuration is 15 psi in the truck airbags, 40 psi in the shocker hitch.

Our normal speed is 95 kph both uphill and downdale on cruise control.

Last trip to north Queensland was around 7000 kms and averaged 16 lts per 100 k's, with the boat on top.

The shocker hitch takes all the bounce out of the ride and smooths everything out.

With the bigger fuel tank we travelled from Camooweal to Katharine without fuelling up.

Fitted a Leer canopy in Brisbane and had some modifications done in Darwin to use the boat loader off the LC.

All works well and there is a lot more room to fill up with firewood and other things.

PS our new choofer works a treat,( Especially when using gidgee from the road to Gregory downs)

For those of you who are worried about the size of the Yank Trucks, we spent around 3 months on the sunshine coast earlier this year.

We had no issues with parking, however you do need to think a bit about where you are going.

The parking attendant at the Stamford hotel in Brisbane only had one comment.

I will not park it in the underground carpark.

Our van has been re-rated to 3900 kgs and we now know we are all good with the insurance company and the law.  

I guess I will need to upgrade the profile picture.

All in all we are more than happy with the Chev.

We came down the range from

We have gained around 5 lts per 100 over the LC and it is a much more comfortable rig to handle.

Van has now done close to 35k and still no issues.

LC is now the shopping trolley.

One think that we have noticed with the 300 odd ks up through Lawn Hill across to Normanton was that the dirt/gravel roads do not affect the towing nearly as much as the sealed roads with a lot of bounce in them.

Mainly because you are not travelling as fast.

Worst roads we have travelled to cause the bounce was from Charters Towers to Cloncurry and the Newel highway.

One thing that the LC 's do not have is the exhaust break.

We came down off the Atherton tableland to Mossman in tow haul mode with the exhaust brake and used the main brakes about three times only.

Also took a wrong turn and went up the Gilles highway. Auto oil got to 89 degrees and gave me a bit of a fright but did not get any higher.

19 kms of steep and winding road is a good test for any vehicle.

Anyway, we are more than happy with our Yank Truck and will have it for some time yet.

thanks Doug and Lis

• Like 1

Hi All,

It has been a long time since I posted. Helen and I took the plunge although we didn't get a new Chev ours is a 2006 crew cab long body, but it had what we wanted in it. We are running 18" wheels and have done a trip to Sydney and back with and without the van and a little bit of dirt out in Rangers Valley near Glenn Innes. I often use to joke with Martin and Amanda when they said take it for a drive, my excuse use to be "If I take it for a drive I may not want to go back to the old faithful 100 series." Well I took this old girl for a drive and didn't go back to the 100 series. When we moved into the 100 when we bought our old Pop Top XC we used to say why did we tow with the sedan for so long. Well the same why didn't we upgrade to a Chev or GMC or Dodge earlier. Talk about comfort and less stress while towing. I have had no trouble parking the new girl around Hervey Bay area. Hope to catch you all on the road again one day.

Cheers

Laurie and Helen

P7270422.JPG

• Like 1

Hello Laurie and Helen,

I wish you would stop photo shopping your pics................. we all know you drive a D Max:P

Welcome to the "Enlightened Side"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Neville and Kay said:

Laurie & Helen

What is the length , width& height inside of your canopy & who made it. It looks great.

Neville & Kay.

Hi,

I will get all the dimensions tomorrow, just finished making my boat loader today so will be testing it over the next few days to make sure it works like I planned. I had already made one but I wasn't happy so I redesigned it. The back was on the truck when we bought it and I haven't been able to find any makers identity, the gear on the back is why I was happy to go back to a 2006 unit.

I know it is 2.2m long, divided in the middle all aluminium, with 4 external boxes and an additional one underneath accessed from the rear. On the passenger side the fuel cap is inside. 

I have a stainless steel pull out table and 3 sets of draws above, a mid height shelf extends from the side of the draws to the rear wall, this is large enough to house the sat dish and folding solar panel. On the lower compartment it had a fridge slide, our fridge wouldn't fit on it so I have installed our 3kw generator. Also on this side is the light controls, shower pump (same as in the van) switch and battery isolator and our two folding chairs.

On the drivers side a shelf runs the full length, I have the fridge mounted up front on a drop down slide we had that in the cruiser. Behind the fridge in the rear lower compartment is 2 x 120 amp hour batteries. A full size draw is directly under the fridge. Next to that I have three compartments, one for the ladder and 2 smaller chairs, next one has a 60 litre water tank, last one has all the awnings and equipment for the fox wing.

In the shelf is a pull out slide which enables you to turn it into a double bed. At the moment this area is empty, but thinking of moving the sat dish back over this side. A couple of photo's to give you an idea. In the four outside boxes I carry some spare hoses and the tyre changing gear, 2 are still empty.

cheers

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

Laurie & Helen

Looks great !!! I am taking our Dodge Ram to Brisbane in October to get Integrated canopy put on by Concept Canopies they are the people who did the one on our 6x4 Sahara.

Have many great & happy adventures.

Neville & Kay.