Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

Stu and Jean

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Al-ko Electronic Stability Control (ESC). I'm toying with the idea of having it retrofitted but wondered if it’s really worth the cost of replacing the brake backing plates with Al-ko plates so it can be installed plus the cost of the system itself. Its easy enough to disable the ESC for off road use by pulling out the ESC vehicle connector so that isnt a problem.

Cheers

Stu

We investigated doing just that about 6 months ago. Once we priced it all up (incl the brake backing plates) it became very costly.

Our van tows very well, and we decided it would have been very expensive "peace of mind".

Thanks Sue,

I was thinking along the same lines but thought I'd ask the question. Once the brake backing plates etc are added in it does get expensive. Our van tows like a dream as well so I think we'll give it a miss.

The next time it goes into the factory for a service we'll get a McHitch fitted and that will do I think.

cheers

Stu

• 5 months later...

Hello

I have recently heard about a Dexter Stability Control (DSC), it is also sold in the US as Tucson brand. I believe it was released in Australia mid last year, it is different from the ALKO Electronic Stability Control (ESC) in that it operates both sides of the brakes on the caravan independently to reduce sway. Also according to their web site DSC automatically turns off on bumpy roads. The ALKO ESC has to be disconnected manually for rough roads and off road, often by unplugging power supply and ALKO will only fit their ESC to ALKO brakes.

The DSC also can be fitted to Dexter brakes without brake modification. I believe Kedron usually fit Dexter brakes. It is a similar price to the ALKO, but sounds like it might suit Kedron's better. The below article looks interesting.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/content/news/2014/towing/another-anti-sway-option-for-caravans-47315

http://www.melbournetrailers.com.au/Dexter%20Sway%20Control.html

Has anyone fitted (or planning to fit) the Dexter Stability Control (DSC) to a Kedron?

Also interested in any comments about stability controls in general as we are thinking of fitting one to our new Kedron, we asked Kedron and at this stage they do not fit stability control systems, so it would have to be done after pickup.

Thanks Terry

• Like 1

Hi Terry,

Even though we don't get any sway there's always the risk that one time there may an incident that gets out of control so I looked the ESC and then heard about the Dexter unit. http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/product_flyers/Sway_Control.pdf

We did a bit of research and spoke to the people at Melbourne Trailers about how it works etc. I was really happy with it, we didnt have to change brake brands plus we get a discount with insurance.

Vehicle Components in Geebung installed the unit and they did a great.

So far we havn't done a lot of towing with it and our Kedron is great to tow anyway so its hard to say how it performs. The main thing I am happy about is that if we have a bad sway incident from various causes we will have a better chance of it ending well (peace of mind).

One thing to watch is when it is installed the power is connected to the correct side of the current shunt not the battery side.

Hope this helps.

After we do a few more trips I'll post up another report.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1

Hello Stu

I am very interested in stability control, because about a year ago off the Nullarbor Highway in very muddy conditions my Avan Cruiseliner (AGM ~1.2t) tried to overtake me at about 30km/hr. However, I managed to steer out of trouble and regain control, but it made me very aware of no matter how careful you are and how well your van tows sometimes it can get up a bad sway that is difficult to manage. The road was smooth and fairly straight, but with a very slippery muddy surface and occasional deep mud patches. The rain thad started to fall after we went down it and we were on our way back to the bitumen. The ESC on the tow vehicle helped, but it would have been nice if the van had helped as well. I have a lot of off road driving experience and training, and it certainly gave us a fright.

Interesting you have had it installed can you let us know what it cost all up?

I am not sure, but I think "Vehicle Components" the supplier of suspensions to Kedron, do you know if this is correct?

Good point about the current shut, I suppose that stops it from putting a drain on your van batteries when your van is in storage.

Really looking forward to hear what you think about the DSC after a bit of a trip. Who knows maybe one day Kedron might offer DSC as a factory fitted option.

Regards

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Some useful info about DSC

I have been advised "Vehicle Components" in Brisbane can install the DSC in a Kedron for about $1500.

Regards

Terry

Hello here is some more info on DSC

I asked Redarc if the Tow Pro was compatible with DSC and received a quick reply that is was compatible. This is an example excellent technical support for an Australian made product.

Note: The Tow Pro needs to have a resistor fitted as per below technical bulletin.

They also sent me a .pdf of the relevant technical bulletin with a list of other brake controllers and a wiring diagram. This .pdf is from DSC, so if you do not have a Redarc Tow Pro and want to get DSC here is a list of currently compatible controllers.

Regards

Terry

DSC bulletin Compatible Brake Controllers 02 2015.pdf

• Like 1

Here is some more info on DSC I found on another caravan forum posted by a DSC user.

http://www.direclink.com/Sway%20Control ... e%204C.pdf

Regards

Terry

Here's another article from another forum comparing DSC with ALKO ESC: http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/content/advice/2015/battle-of-the-black-boxes-49945 Looks interesting given Kedron vans have Dexter brakes?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Koggers,

I have been following this thread with some interest even though I have never experienced a "sway" issue with my van. I have begun to think that ESC may well become compulsory due to pressure from the insurance industry and the interests of the State authorities.

Then today I was reading one of the two owners manuals for the Chevrolet Silverado and low and behold I discovered that it is fitted with Trailer Sway Control (TSC).If the system detects that the trailer is swaying the vehicle brakes are applied automatically. If the vehicle is fitted with Integrated Trailer Brake Control (ITBC), which mine is, the StabiliTrak will also apply the trailer brakes if necessary. Bloody great! I guess all vehicles designed for towing will go this way.

Regards

Colin