Dust ingress

Michael J

Good evening peoples..

We are off, in the next couple of weeks, for our first "biggie" in the Kedron.

3yo Top Ender and very happy with it too.

As we are planning to travel the Savannah Way and GRR we expect a fair amount of dust.......

could even be a lot of dust!!!

Question to those that have been there and done that..whilst we have sealed the vents on

the door, what -if any- problems could be encountered if I seal the vents on the fridge and

heater???

-and would anyone care to share a few secret spots along the Savannah Way.....promise I will

keep them to myself;))

Stay safe

Michael

Hi Michael

I would hope the Top Ender does not have any dust problems but I will offer my recent observations of the door on my van.

Check to make sure the door posts of the door frame are parallel to within -0 to +2mm if it is a Camec door, the width depends on the door fitted.

Check to make sure the fur seal is properly contacting the door post.

Check for any gaps in the rubber seals around the door and at door hinges.

As Pete suggested search this web site for posts on dust issues.

Cheers

John

Hi Michael

This subject has been discussed numerous times over the years. I recommend you use the 'search' function on the forum to start your research.

Cheers

Pete

Thank you for your informative/qualified response. I had already researched the archives and it did not give me what I was after.

Thanks for nothing.

Michael

Hi Michael

I would hope the Top Ender does not have any dust problems but I will offer my recent observations of the door on my van.

Check to make sure the door posts of the door frame are parallel to within -0 to +2mm if it is a Camec door, the width depends on the door fitted.

Check to make sure the fur seal is properly contacting the door post.

Check for any gaps in the rubber seals around the door and at door hinges.

As Pete suggested search this web site for posts on dust issues.

Cheers

John

Thanks John,

I have indeed checked around the door posts and all seems OK. I have sealed the vents on the door but was more concerned with the fridge vents (seeing as it is 12v all the time, and of course the water heater vents. Would not like to seal them up to find a problem later on;((

Thank you for your time.

rgds

Michael

Put the plug in the shower waste and tape the vent for the range hood.

From Borralloola travelling east along the Savanah Way turn left and drive along the bank of the Robinson River for some great free camping and can highly recommend Adels. Grove great spot and currently not to crowded as they are having a very slow season and given how the weather is heating up it will be even quieter....hope this is of some use.

Put the plug in the shower waste and tape the vent for the range hood.

From Borralloola travelling east along the Savanah Way turn left and drive along the bank of the Robinson River for some great free camping and can highly recommend Adels. Grove great spot and currently not to crowded as they are having a very slow season and given how the weather is heating up it will be even quieter....hope this is of some use.

Tks Southy, never thought of the shower waste re dust coming in..ta

Michael

Thank you for your informative/qualified response. I had already researched the archives and it did not give me what I was after.

Thanks for nothing.

Michael

Michael

I was only trying to help you.

This subject of dust has been discussed for many years, 5 or more years and there is a lot of information available. Since my initial reply to you I have looked up numerous responses on the subject that would more than answer your questions.

If you want help, don't shoot the messenger!!!!!!

Pete

Michael

I was only trying to help you.

This subject of dust has been discussed for many years, 5 or more years and there is a lot of information available. Since my initial reply to you I have looked up numerous responses on the subject that would more than answer your questions.

If you want help, don't shoot the messenger!!!!!!

Pete

Thank you Pete. It really does not take too much time to answer a newcomers questions. Only two, should I seal up the fridge vents and should I seal up the water heater vents.....sigh!! never mind.

Take care and travel safe

Michael

Thank you Pete. It really does not take too much time to answer a newcomers questions. Only two, should I seal up the fridge vents and should I seal up the water heater vents.....sigh!! never mind.

Take care and travel safe

Michael

Michael

I answered you're enquiry in good faith, I found your 'thanks for nothing' response offensive.

I have been helping people on this forum since it's inception, about 10 years. I don't recall any response to anyone by anyone in the way you did to me.

An apology would be nice.

Pete

Michael

I answered you're enquiry in good faith, I found your 'thanks for nothing' response offensive.

I have been helping people on this forum since it's inception, about 10 years. I don't recall any response to anyone by anyone in the way you did to me.

An apology would be nice.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Two questions from a new Kedron owner..."any problems if I seal around the fridge and water heater vents on dusty roads"?

Fairly simple. Check the archives you say. You do not know if I have, and give me some credit please. As you have helped people for the past 10 years then why not me? Would it not be easy to answer my questions......and then, maybe pointed me to the archives??

I do not know you Pete, and you are probably a very nice guy, but if I ask a fairly simple question on this forum please

do not give me a hard time.

End of story..I have a very good Kedron van and am very happy with it. I have joined the KOG forum site for general info and shared comadarie (spelling)

If you need really need an apology it is all yours, please accept it as such.

I just hope that you are not representative of all KOGGERS.

safe travels

Michael

Hi Michael,

Did you get out of bed on the wrong side the other day.......chill out mate, life is far to short to be upset & as John has already said it is not the KOGGERS way to respond the way you have. One day also, you may meet Peter he is a great bloke....I hope you buy him a beer to make up. :rolleyes:

Sitting behind a keyboard, typing a question or a reply it is possible that yours or the readers interpretation of your question/reply, can/could be 'lost' in the typing.

Again if you type dust ingress into the search box (top right hand corner of this page) you will get a minimum of 9 discussions with the subject of dust ingress in them, this is were you will find answers to your questions.

Its not that we are not interested or concerned about you or your problems, but this is why there is a search function on this site to save you time & grief over 'problems' that have been discussed MANY times before.....the search function is a great tool.

You could also advise if your van has a rear or side kitchen as there are problems with dust especially on rear kitchens.

CU down the road

Hello Michael J,

Kingfisher Camp is great. Camps 7 QLD 260 and, IMO, not to be missed. I agree re Robinson River and Adel's Grove. This time of the year there will be a lot of dust including Bull dust. If you can keep that out of your van, despite taking all the preventive measures, please let me know the secret.

Here in Cairns we have had a record dry month. It is the same west of us. So, Michael, it will be dusty. Don't forget to tap out you air cleaner filter on your tug every day.

Lastly Michael, often people ask questions on this forum and are simply and quickly told that there is a heap of previous discussion on the site and hence do a search. All those who have commented so far are, IMO, great Koggers and far from being rude will welcome you warmly.

The Savannah Way is great. We have often just found an isolated place where we can pull off the road and have a peaceful night. We have gone for 30 hours and not seen another car or person in the stretch between Hell's Gate and the Robinson.

Have a great trip and welcome to the Forum.

Regards

Colin

Hello Michael J,

Kingfisher Camp is great. Camps 7 QLD 260 and, IMO, not to be missed. I agree re Robinson River and Adel's Grove. This time of the year there will be a lot of dust including Bull dust. If you can keep that out of your van, despite taking all the preventive measures, please let me know the secret.

Here in Cairns we have had a record dry month. It is the same west of us. So, Michael, it will be dusty. Don't forget to tap out you air cleaner filter on your tug every day.

Lastly Michael, often people ask questions on this forum and are simply and quickly told that there is a heap of previous discussion on the site and hence do a search. All those who have commented so far are, IMO, great Koggers and far from being rude will welcome you warmly.

The Savannah Way is great. We have often just found an isolated place where we can pull off the road and have a peaceful night. We have gone for 30 hours and not seen another car or person in the stretch between Hell's Gate and the Robinson.

Have a great trip and welcome to the Forum.

Regards

Colin

Thank you Colin for your time and information. With luck a nice Barra will be forthcoming too. Camps 7 is proving to be very useful, we are looking forward to this trip, should be good.

Safe travels

Michael

Hi Pete,

Two questions from a new Kedron owner..."any problems if I seal around the fridge and water heater vents on dusty roads"?

Fairly simple. Check the archives you say. You do not know if I have, and give me some credit please. As you have helped people for the past 10 years then why not me? Would it not be easy to answer my questions......and then, maybe pointed me to the archives??

I do not know you Pete, and you are probably a very nice guy, but if I ask a fairly simple question on this forum please

do not give me a hard time.

End of story..I have a very good Kedron van and am very happy with it. I have joined the KOG forum site for general info and shared comadarie (spelling)

If you need really need an apology it is all yours, please accept it as such.

I just hope that you are not representative of all KOGGERS.

safe travels

Michael

Hello Michael and welcome to the forum.

I think you will find Pete was trying to be helpful by directing to past posts - I hope you didn't expect him to retype everything?

You will get along much better and get more out of people by being nice.

Remember, the advice offered on here is free and people do it in their time - so they expect some appreciation otherwise why would they bother?

And Pete is a great bloke - I'm sure you'll see that if you ever meet him.

Cheers and safe travels.

Why do good people waste their time on people who can't be told and why do people ask for advice, but don't want to listen to answers?

These questions often puzzle me ????????????

Its a funny world we live in

I guess allowances should be made for ppl who are not really computer literate. Myself I know how to use a computer but finding the correct words to type into a thread search beats me. Have often seen the quote to do a search and although not needing the information I have tried to look up the thread myself. Lets just say that if Mr Google can't help me then it is a lost cause.

This not only applies to our forum but most of the others that I visit. Perhaps a key word or two to put into "search" may help.

Den and Col

Hi Fellow Kedron owners, My wife and I have owned our Topender since 2011 and have travelled many dirty, dusty roads(Tanami,Gibb,Savanna,back of Chillagoe & others).Sometimes the dust is so bad that I couldn't see the van in the rear view mirrors.

To get to my reason for writing this comment. I have faithfully followed this Kedron off road caravan site since I bought the van new in 2011 after falling in love with Colin's & Gayleen's Topender at O'Brien's Creek in 2010.

Although in the background (like many other owners)and viewing with interest the various helpful comments and funnies, but making no comment, I was discusted at that new chum carrying on about a possible future dust problem. Mister, if can't be civil and add to this forum then stay off. Go out and do it and get experienced like many others are. You'll then be in position to fix your particular problem without imposing your arrogance on others. That's all I have to say. Thank you all. Ted Mackedie

Gee Mr Walker

You are so right, I picked up my van mid 2011 and have used this forum well before that to get an idea of all the ins and outs of what i need to know and have never had an issue with anybody offering their help and all of a sudden one person

miss reads a reply and takes it the wrong way I think he really needs to get away in his Kedron and chill out.

Kakadu

It would seem that I have upset many of the KOG by my comments to Pete and Mayzee re dust ingress. Out of order, yes. Certainly not designed to inflame, however what is done cannot be undone.

My sincere apologies to all KOGGERS that took offence.

I had indeed checked the archives, and like most forums they contain some relevant information and some that is quite old. Not what I wanted though. As a newcomer to this forum I guess I was looking for a tad of communication and interaction. Not to be told on the first post to check the archives.

I have re-read the post and concede that my comments were not what would have been considered acceptable. Sorry guys..

But I still love my Kedron..

-and Pete and Mayzee I owe you a beer.

Michael J

Well Michael, that is great, well written and well said.

I reckon, IMO, that everyone will accept that and move on.

Michael, enjoy your Kedron and enjoy the friendships that will emerge from the experience.

Regards

Colin

Hullo Michael

Thank you for your last response.

In hindsight, this whole thing could have been averted had you said at the outset that you had searched the archives. I'll have to improve my mind reading skills LOL.

I only 'recommended' you do a search, because as a new comer it may have helped you on this subject and any queries on other subjects you may have had.

Finally Michael, get out there and enjoy your Kedron and the experience derived by doing so.

All the best.

Pete