Baby Q storage

Brenton

Greetings all,

I'm a new member testing out the 18 foot xc3 in Mid November leaving Alice on the Plenty and Donahue Highways to Boulia, Birdsville Arkaroola and then back to Adelaide. Can some enterprising Kedron owner please assist me with ideas on what one does to restrict the Baby Q from bouncing around and also protect the van from lamb fat!! I don't have a Generator as yet but I have storage for one so that helps as to where it will go.

Any tips on travelling these roads safely would also be appreciated.

Brenton & Lyn

G`Day Brenton & Lyn

Welcome to the KOG forum. I am sure you will enjoy many Ks.in your new Keddy XC3. :) As to the packing of your BabyQ,we use a bagged C.gear mat that stuffs on top of it. That seems to do the trick.

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hi Brenton & Lyn,

On my van I removed the Engel (leaving the slide in place) from one of the side lockers & mounted it in the rear of the Toyota.

I then put my Baby Q in that locker, & it is simply & very successfully secured with just an oky strap. Slide the baby q out. remove strap turn baby q 90 degrees connect gas line and your in business, reverse process to store away.

I've never had a problem with 'leaking or messy fat'.....but you get a slight smell of the fat in the locker only noticeable when you open the locker door & it very quickly dissipates. :D

Hi Brenton and Lyn.

Welcome to the Forum.

We have an extra boot on the awning side with a slide and the Baby Q is strapped to this with two rubber tie downs crossed at the top, doesn't move. This then give us room to stack our extras around it and on top.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Koggers,

We have our Q in the forward storage box next to the awning arm. I basically have it strapped down by a simple ratchet strap. There are two eye bolts that have been drilled through the floor (either side of the Q) to fasten it. We have just completed 6 months across the top end, driving down every dirt road we could find and never had an issue with the Q coming loose or fat coming out of the catch tray. Be sure not to use your Q under the awning as it can damage the material !

We travelled the Strezlecki track about 4 weeks ago and found it was a shocker ! The whole 475km was rocky due to numerous road trains carving it up, hopefully by the time you are on it the road crews may of patched it up. I have heard that the old strezlecki track is a good alternative.

Happy travels .... Taka

Hi Brenton and Lyn, we store ours in the side hatch (which conveniently happened to be located next to the gas bayonet.) I don't tie it down at all. We have one of those two-burner gas stoves that use the butane cartridges and when it is in its box, slides neatly over the top of the baby-Q with just enough compression to hold both things in place. The sides of the BBQ are packed with other bibs and bobs that we lug around with us. I had better add that the Baby-Q has its own protective cover that prevents chaffing. We do a lot of pretty crappy roads and tracks and nothing has ever moved or sustained damage.

As for road tips:

Plenty and Donahue Highways vary in condition depending on when they are graded. The whole lot can be corrugated and sometimes sandy around Tobermorey Station. Remember the golden rules - Air down tyres, lift up right foot.

Roads around Boulia, Bedourie etc are generally always in pretty good nick.

Birdsville Track is very easy these days, but do slow down and air down, especially on the bit that passes through the Stony Desert.

Arkaroola via the Copley to Arkaroola road - watch out for dips and floodways. It is a bit windy but very scenic. The shale around Arkaroola is very sharp and it is very easy to do in a tyre so, again, air-down and right foot up.

Cheers

Russ

Ours goes in its weber BabyQ bag under the bed. I always clean it before putting away, I guess I should also mention we don't eat meat so not much fat about. ?

For what its worth,

We store ours in the front boot.............. drip tray emptied of coarse, but not strapped in. It sits there perfectly and its never given us issues and we have travelled lots of shitty roads I can assure you.

Steve