200 series brake upgrade

TonyH

Twelve months ago I fitted RDA slotted & dimpled rotors front & rear with Bendix 4x4 pads, also full brake fluid change.
Since then I have traveled approx 30k...black top, dirt with & without my 3.5t Kedron behind. I have found the braking to be 'satisfactory' but at times I felt it could have been a little bit better as in stopping time & braking effort required.
I believe my driving style could be described as conservative, I don't do hard or late braking unless in an emergency.... watch traffic lights & coast to a red light..... so all in all not hard on the brakes (I believe)....but still I was wanting more.
After making enquiries from various sources I contacted the technical advice line/service at Bendix Aust, were I spoke to a helpful, friendly guy who apperered to be interested in my concerns. I explained to him about my recent (12 months ago) brake 'upgrade' but still wanting more, after telling him about the new rotors which he thought were a good idea he suggested fitting Bendix Heavy Duty pads.
Well I sourced two sets from a local supplier ($150 for both) & fitted them yesterday.
I deglazed the rotors with emery, then fitted up the pads & flushing the brake fluid again (Dot 3, almost 1.5 liters) its amazing how much higher the brake pedal is now (soooo much less travel) and a soooo much firmer feel about it.
Although Bendix claim there is no bedding in procedure I don't believe you should go out & punish the brakes...easy braking like I normally do .....well my test drive was somewhat extended about 100k's. The stopping power of these new pads is a great improvement over the Bendix 4x4 pads fitted previously.
I appreciate it is only early days yet & I will report back when I have done a few more k's

CU down the road

• Like 1

Hi Tony ,

I fitted my RDA rotors and bendix 4x4 pads about a week ago .

I find that they are far better then the factory setup.

If your pedal feels better after you your second fluid change , maybe you had air in the line after the first time.

Nev

Hi Nev & Penny,

I noticed a marked improvement also going from the original pads to the Bendix 4x4 pads but I would go as far to say the improvement from the Bendix 4x4 to the Bendix H/Duty pad is 'as good, if not better again'.

No, there wasn't any air in the system.....

Give it a go, suck as brake fluid as you can out of the reservoir with a syringe and a short length of vacuum or or plastic hose approx (3mm ID), discard fluid. (Be very careful not to spill any on the paintwork.....if you do wash off immediately with water)

Refill reservoir with fresh Dot 3 brake fluid.

Fit a length (60cm) of clear plastic hose over the 'snout' of the NSR bleeder nipple, 'crack open' the nipple with the end of the plastic hose going into an old soft drink can or similar.

Now open drivers door, start engine, let it idle, kneel down beside the drivers door,position yourself with one arm operating/pushing the brake pedal & your head/eyes able to see the clear hose from the bleeder nipple....pump the brake pedal quickly (say 20 to 25 times) but NO MORE than half of its normal travel. You can watch the old fluid going down the plastic hose & having a 'snug' fitting hose (3mm ID) on the nipple absolutely negates any chance of air getting in the system.

Nip up nipple check fluid level in reservoir, then repeat process on OSR wheel then the NSF finishing off with the OSF wheel.

Wash off any brake fluid spillage with the garden hose.

I know you will then have a much better feeling brake pedal.... much higher & firmer.....give it a go! ;):D

Hi Tony and Nev

I must be very fortunate because when I mention to my wife that I would like her to be involved in an ON-OFF activity, she knows that that means helping to bleed the brakes.

I have just had the front pads changed by a Toyota dealer on my 100 series meaning I got 160,000 in total from the original and second set. The rears have only been changed once. I notice that the new fronts have much more brake dust than the previous sets. Tony the new Bendix pads you have had fitted are probably the low dust ones Bendix is now selling.

I have never had a complaint about the 100's brakes. They are always confidence providing.

Regards, Barry