wheel bearing monitoring

lovegreen

Is there a monitoring system to keep

Check of bearing temps

I constatly check by hand when we stop so imagine after stopping for smoko all ok but 30 klms later bearing collapse axel stuffed 12 days in Forbes for repairs any ideas apreciated

Ian and Vicki

Tyre monitoring systems can give you the temperature of your wheel and tyre. The best kind for this are where the sensor is mounted on the centre of the rim by a stainless steel band, they have a sensor battery life of 5 to 7 years. I have a set on my car and they work very well. I have additional sensors for fitting to my new van, when we get it in August. The set up cost $700 for 7 sensors and monitor from a company in Qld. They are Sensa brand.

https://hannibalsafari.com.au/index.php?page=sensatyre-2

I spoke to the supplier and they suggested the steel band type sensor for 4WD and off road. It also cost me $20 per tyre to have them fitted which included balancing of each wheel after fitting the sensor. This type of sensor gives pressure and temperature and have adjustable alarms which let you know of pressure changes and temperature changes which are a bit abnormal. They probably would let you know if your bearings were hot enough to raise the temperature of your wheel rim.

They work great for tyres, not sure about bearings, but they should give you some indication of increased temperature.

Regards

Terry

• 1 month later...

Hi

Had the same problem some time back. Bearings serviced well etc. The only thing I could think contributed to the problem was the electric brakes and the way that the adjustments were made or the brake controller . I had two teckonsha( not sure of spelling) brake controllers fail these were not delivering power to each wheel. Some wheels were locking up and other free wheeling.Went back to a basic hayman reese and touch wood this seems Ok. When servicing done the tester at the service centre worked well but when connected to car got a different result (as above)

Leon