Tyre monitors

Hello all,

Last year we did the Gibb River Rd & destroyed two tyres. I have sworn that I will never leave home again without some sort of tyre monitoring in place. I would appreciate any advice regarding the devices on the market before I bight the bullet.

Thank you

Doyley

Hi Doyley,

When we bought our Kedron a year ago we had Inawise tyre pressure monitors fitted to the van and the Landcruiser. The base unit is a TPMS-203 which comes with eight sensors, and we bought another three to cover the six van tyres and the five vehicle tyres. The unit can handle up to 12 tyres, and monitors pressure and temperature and has alarms for low pressure and high Temperature.

So far it has worked well without any problems. It has no trouble receiving the signal from the van tyre sensors - in fact it picks up the signal from about 40 metres away.

I have the base unit permanently mounted to the dash on an aluminium angle iron bracket just below the right hand side air vent where I can see it easily and it is out of the way.

I chose Inawise because my brother has the same sensors on his 4wd, and has done extensive driving in outback, sand and mud and they have worked well.

The sensors include a metal valve stem, and the sensor mounts inside the rim which minimises risk of damage, so the tyres need to be removed to install the sensors, and then balanced.

The cost of the base unit with eight sensors was about $600 and the extra sensors cost about $50 each.

Kedron installed the sensors in the van tyres for no charge when we purchased the van, and the tyre dealer that we bought the system from installed the sensors in the vehicle for $10 per wheel.

The batteries in the Sensors are supposed to last for 7 years.

Regards,

Bob

We have had the hawkshead TPMS for 3 years now and still going well..

The alarm went off just out of coolgardie the other day to let me know that the front tyre was down on pressure..Sure enough it had a screw in it but no harm done...

Cheers Danny

• Like 1

We have fitted Sensa tyre pressure monitors to our Pajero and have found them really good. They are the type that are mounted on a stainless steel band attached to the inside of the rim, battery life in the sensor is about 5 years and in this position they are well protected and give a good indication of the tyre and rim temperature as well as tyre pressure. In this position they are also hard for someone to steal and do not interfere with changing tyre pressures for rough roads.

It cost $20 per tyre to have them fitted and each tyre rebalanced. We have three additional sensors for our new single axel 16' Kedron (each wheel and spare). These sensors will be fitted to the caravan during assembly by Kedron. We just drove from Queanbeyan to Kedron in Brisbane and back and the sensors on our Pajero worked really well.

We will see in August when we do our pick up how they go on the caravan.

We bought them from these people and found them most helpful when I had a couple of questions.

https://hannibalsafari.com.au/index.php?page=sensatyre-2