Batteries: 120Ah v 130Ah

morribm

I'm on my way across the top but following a few days in the Keep NP, my fridge (Vitrifrigo) was struggling to start at about 03h00 -- it would try and the fan would operate but the compressor wouldn't turn on. The SOC appeared healthy enough at 88.2% but the volts would drop to around 10.6 - 10.8. We switched the fridge off and awaited solar input the next day to around a SOC of 97% and Volts of 13.2. Fridge worked perfectly again until the bewitching hours when it wasn't able to start again. Similar SOC and V reading again the second night. A day later when on 240v through the battery charger, there was no repeat of the problem. I have deduced, hopefully correctly, that the issue is with my batteries and not with the fridge. Incidentally, the batteries are 4.5 yrs old but have endured long periods (months) of inactivity relying solely on the solar panels to keep them topped up.

Now in Kununurra, I am not able to find three 120Ah AGMs but I can locate three 130Ah AGMs. I realise that I may not have all three of my batteries playing up and that replacing all three could be a little extravagant but since I'm about to traverse the Gibb, I don't want any hassles on that trip.

So, my question is, with all the talk about not having enough grunt from the standard 3x120Ah batteries, why are not more of the 130Ah varieties used? I know I'll have to reset my internal battery monitor profiles from a total of 360Ah to 390Ah so that the SOC etc relates to the new setup but what I don't know is are there any other problems having three 130Ah batteries?

Brian

Brian,

My two bobs worth..... As the batteries are 4.5 years old it would be very wise to replace all three batteries. I appreciate that the AGM batteries are NOT cheap all though it may be an expensive exercise I don't believe it would be called 'extravagant'

Batteries (when in multiples) as far as I'm aware should be always replaced as a 'set'.

If you were still having trouble down the track with charging etc I would think supplier of the one battery you purchased would have a definite 'out' if there was to be a problem.

You say your in Kunna's now are you getting the battery/ batteries from a local supplier there or from Darwin? My thoughts are using a national supplier...... for any warranty concerns.

• Like 1

I would question your SOC meter. How are you determining that? If you are using the solar controller, then it would not be accurate as the load would not be connected to be measured on a van of your vintage.

Are you sure you are getting a full charge each day?

13.2V in full sun is not 97% SOC for AGM batteries.

Thanks,

Tony, I agree with your thoughts regarding changing the full set. I have done so today -- three 130Ah AGMs. I'll give them a good 24 hr charge via the battery charger although they registered 100% charge soon after installation and my changing the monitor settings to read 390Ah. It would have been nice to have a choice of suppliers but here it's a bit 'take what you get' sort of thing. The batteries did come from Darwin and I daresay because they were supplied by TyresPlus, there will be a suitable warranty. Hopefully, anyway.

Incidentally, I disconnected the solar controller by disconnecting the negative leads under the cover before replacing the batteries. Seemed like a sensible thing to do. There is no other way to disable the controller other than covering the panels and I wonder why there isn't an on/off switch fitted?

CV, hmmm, well the SOC was definitely 97% but the volts varied and dropped quite rapidly when the panels were not in full sun later in the day which could have been as early as 15h00. Having said that, I too had some difficulty reconciling the figures but what was consistent was the inordinate rapid fall off in volts once the batteries were under load. The test I believe will be tomorrow night when I switch the battery charger off and see what happens overnight with regard to fridge function. Here's hoping...

Brian

How have things gone with the new batteries, Brian? It does sound like worn out batteries. Interesting no one has commented on 120AH batteries v 130AH batteries. So I assume they are the same except for the higher amperage. (Is 'amperage' a proper word? It should be...)

We too had battery problems when the van sat for a long time unused, although on trickle charge.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Big test on solar today. Last night was fine with the charger switched off and the fridge running normally all night. Batteries showed SOC 88.6% and 12.6 V this morning. Full solar for a few hours only this morning and SOC is 98.5% and 13.3 V (was up to 14.3 V when the panels were pumping it in). So, all seems good and I'm now confident of travelling the GRR and all the side trips we may do.

As far as the 120Ah v 130Ah question is concerned, perhaps it is too mundane although in my ignorance I thought it would generate a little discussion at least.

• Like 1

That sounds like a good fix, well done.

I think 130Ah vs 120Ah should make little difference as long as SOC is calibrated, just about 8% more storage, a small difference easily overwhelmed by temperature differences.

Out of curiosity how many watts of solar do you have on caravan?

Thanks.

The 16' now comes with 300W (2 x150W) if you have the compressor fridge and one 150W if a 3 way fridge.

Regards

Terry

Chris, it is false economy. While the AGM batteries state 120AH, they only measure to be usable to about 60AH, so a 130AH gives you an extra 5AH - big deal!

When you are ready for Lithium, let me know, You won't go back....

When you have the stated AH capacity available for use and the voltage is +13V all the way, then you have something to be happy about. And 1/3 the weight.... and 4-5 times the lifetime.

Hi Terry, are you referring to the ATV2 or Cross Country?

Cv....Yes, but the cost??? Not only for the Lithium batteries but also to replace the charger. Whole different argument if one is living in the van.

• Like 1

We also struggled with the cost of the Lithium. We were originally going for two 120Ah AGM, but were concerned about the weight. We do have to work on keeping the weight down as we are towing the 16' XC3 Compact single axel with a Pajero and need to keep an eye on our ATM (under 2500Kg) and ball weight (under 250Kg). The Lithium battery set up also allows us to use a compressor fridge and do more bush camping. So it is expensive, but we are looking forward to use the Caravan for the next 10 years at least, so 200Ah Lithium batteries are also a long term proposition.

We won't be living in the van, but intend to be travelling for around 6 months per year. Always worry about being an earlier adopter of technology, but the system Kedron are fitting is proven technology from a good reputable company (Enedrive) with a lot of experience in Lithium technology. We also like the idea of having it fitted at construction. Time will tell if we have made the right decision.

Regards

Terry

We also struggled with the cost of the Lithium. We were originally going for two 120Ah AGM, but were concerned about the weight. We do have to work on keeping the weight down as we are towing the 16' XC3 Compact single axel with a Pajero and need to keep an eye on our ATM (under 2500Kg) and ball weight (under 250Kg). The Lithium battery set up also allows us to use a compressor fridge and do more bush camping. So it is expensive, but we are looking forward to use the Caravan for the next 10 years at least, so 200Ah Lithium batteries are also a long term proposition.

We won't be living in the van, but intend to be travelling for around 6 months per year. Always worry about being an earlier adopter of technology, but the system Kedron are fitting is proven technology from a good reputable company (Enedrive) with a lot of experience in Lithium technology. We also like the idea of having it fitted at construction. Time will tell if we have made the right decision.

Regards

Terry

That is a myth. Enerdrive are only knew to the market, and have had issues with their chargers.

And at over 3 times the price of the cost of cells elsewhere, I know where I wouldn't buy cells..

Hi Terry, are you referring to the ATV2 or Cross Country?

Cv....Yes, but the cost??? Not only for the Lithium batteries but also to replace the charger. Whole different argument if one is living in the van.

The cost? What is the cost you are referring to?

What charger are you referring to needing replacing?

Most programmable chargers are suited to Li

Hello cvtripper

You seem to be a bit negative about what other people are doing, rather than just fishing for information I suggest you provide some useful comment based on your knowledge.

if you are a fan of Lithium batteries how about some good solid information (or URLs) with brands and prices you know about rather than just bagging other peoples choices. Nothing wrong with a bit of discussion, but if you are going to be negative about peoples choices and actions I suggest you come up with some positive alternatives.

So far your comments are very general and lack specific useful information. Do you sell Lithium Battery systems? if so please provide some useful information about your systems. Or if you have experience installing and using a Lithium battery in a caravan system tell us a bit about it.

These forums are great for finding out stuff, but work best when people are positive to each other and exchange information.

Terry

PS cvtripper hope you are not just another boring troll, please tell us who would you buy your Li battery system from?

Alright Gentlemen - tempers are getting a little frayed here. Friendly exchange of views is good and is one of the prime purposes of the forum.

This thread appears to be getting a little tense, so I will lock it until tempers cool, and I take instruction from the President.

Regards

• Like 1

Hi David & Terry,
The webmaster locked this thread yesterday, I think at an appropriate time.
The tone that was being conveyed in your posts, I don't believe was helpful in the sense of constructive conversation and beneficial to the forum ideals.
The forum is & has been a wealth of knowledge for new & more experienced members & contributors. The posting of negative or 'open ended' comments in this or other forums is of no real use and isn't necessary. (It may be time to re read the code of conduct)
I'm reopening this thread....... but please remember we are all here to share & learn. Please do so in a friendly constructive way, by sharing your knowledge & experience.
Regards to you both.....cu down the road

Tony Heat

President

• Like 1

Thank you Tony and Lea.

I apologise for any offence I have caused.

Good management of forums like this is essential to keep them useful and interesting. Thanks again for your efforts.

Regards

Terry

• Like 2

I'm not sure where I conveyed an untoward tone, so why I was targeted for this thread being locked.

So here it is now.

Yabbietol, I have been on this forum longer than you and provided useful info - but obviously you have something more positive to offer and are more knowledgeable.

To me it appears you don't want to hear that you haven't got the best in your outdated AGM batteries.

I'll refrain from this forum in future and leave you to your myths and misconceptions.

Good luck!

Hi Chris,

Big test on solar today. Last night was fine with the charger switched off and the fridge running normally all night. Batteries showed SOC 88.6% and 12.6 V this morning. Full solar for a few hours only this morning and SOC is 98.5% and 13.3 V (was up to 14.3 V when the panels were pumping it in). So, all seems good and I'm now confident of travelling the GRR and all the side trips we may do.

As far as the 120Ah v 130Ah question is concerned, perhaps it is too mundane although in my ignorance I thought it would generate a little discussion at least.

Now we are back on track.

Chris how are the new batteries going after a few days of use, is the 450W solar keeping them charged OK?

Regards

Terry

"you haven't got the best in your outdated AGM batteries"

Really? Proven, reliable, widely used, cost-effective, safe, easily sourced...

Time will tell whether the current Li technology and packaging stands up to extended periods of rough road treatment as well.

• Like 1

"you haven't got the best in your outdated AGM batteries"

Really? Proven, reliable, widely used, cost-effective, safe, easily sourced...

Time will tell whether the current Li technology and packaging stands up to extended periods of rough road treatment as well.

I can counter every single one of those arguments and then provide some extra features that sounds like would surprise you.

And no, I don't sell batteries.

And proven? Seriously? How long do you get out of your AGMs?

And lugging 4 x 120AH at 32kgs each around (128kgs) unnecessarily to only get 240Ah usable capacity. What is with that?

I know, I did it - but have wised up.

Can you boil your kettle when your battery is down to 20%, what about 50%. Can you do it at all??