Leaky ATV

Big Mike

Hi

Firstly, as novices, thanks very much for the previous, very helpful advice we've got on this forum.

My wife and I have been touring in our 2005 ATV for about four months and we're having a great time.

In heavy rain though, we're getting a leak in the front driver's side wardrobe beside the double bed.

So far, I've put fresh silicon around:

• the front clearance light,
  • the side clearance light,
  • the external shower cabinet, and,
  • the external night light.

I've also pulled up the plastic cover strip on the front driver side corner of the van, checked for loose screws and put silicon over all the screw heads, but we're still getting the leak in heavy weather.

Just wondering if anyone's had a leak in the same location and can suggest where I might find the source???

Thanks again, especially for the advice on our load-sharing suspension. Our van is tracking really, really well and I think our Landcruiser is running better than ever since it's been doing some real work pulling the Kedron!

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Hi Mike

I have a Topender and some time back a similar leak coming out from near the front cabinet. Our van has a vinyl padding across the front and I found the leak was coming from poor sealing of the top rail holding the"bra" in place. Removed rail ,re sikaflex and no more leaks. Regards Ted Mackedie

• Like 2

Hi Mike,

Oh man! Leaks are a real pain. Remember that the leak you find might well be coming from a very distant deficit in the leak-proofing on the roof or elsewhere. It's a real win if you happen to find the actual leaking spot as did Ted.

You didn't say where the leak in the cupboard actually is: top or bottom etc.? You've done all the right things so far, but I would consider the solar panels to be a possible problem if the water is entering the top part of the cupboard. Incidentally, locating just where the water in the cupboard is coming from is a hassle too because it can enter the top and then run down the beading and joins and the 'appear' to be coming from lower down.

If you don't have a front roof hatch, then I would suggest removing the front solar panel initially (easier than it sounds), inspect for possible leaking site but reseal all possible areas anyway!

Good luck.

Brian

Hi Ted and Brian

Thanks very much. We don't have a bra on our van so no issues there.

The water is pooling on top of the shelf inside the wardrobe so it must be coming from a higher point.

I'll get up on the roof, have a shot at removing the front solar panel and resealing around that area.

Noticed you use sika rather than silicon. I'll try that too.

Thanks again.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Another option, check the air conditioning bolts have not worked loose. We went across the Outback Way and a couple of bolts worked loose.

We have an Air Command Cormorant, and to do this, inside the van remove 6 screws (3 on each side) under the removable filters. Four more screws are located (2 each side) amongst the louvers. Lower the roof fixture slowly, as wiring is attached, and it should hold with a string attachment, then tension the bolts in each corner of the unit connected to the roof. DON'T over tighten these bolts.

Good luck finding the leak.