Generator & BBQ slide

adgrant3

HI All

we are newbies to caravanning, we have travelled quite a lot with our camper trailer but age has got the better of us and we have now purchased a topender 21ft. we are planning our next long venture in 18mths to do The Outback Way. but I am sure there will be many more shorter travels before then. We are looking forward to meeting like minded people and hoping to creating new friendships within the club.

I do have a quick question - what sort of slides are people using for there generators and bbqs?

we have a weberQ (middle size) and we have just purchased the Yamaha 2.4kva generator. we put the genie in the box on the drivers side of the van and it only just fits with no slide so I was wondering if anyone else is using the same genie on a slide?, I plan on putting the weber in the storage box on the passenger side and wondered if anyone else is using a swivel type slide for the bbq?

I have been researching but there are so many different types its hard to choose the one that will do the job.

Thanks in advance.

Andy & Di Grant

• Like 2

Hi Andy and Di

We might be able to help you out here.

Our ATV for two has single beds and hence lots of underbed storage.

We purchased 2 Black Widow fridge slides and bolted them to the floor of 2 storage compartments; one for the Webber Baby Q and one for our 2KVA Honda.

It's easy enough to make up a few brackets etc to hold each in place when travelling. In each situation we can use the Baby Q and the Honda without taking them off the fridge slides if we want, and that certainly is good for the old back.

You mentioned the Yamaha 2.4KVA generator. You might be in luck here. We had one of these about 3 years ago, but it was far in excess of what we needed and was just too heavy to manhandle. I made up a slide for it by converting a fridge slide and having a new base made to accommodate the larger footprint on the generator and you could also run the generator on the slde when the slide was fully extended. The slide is for sale at a fraction of what it cost me, it really works well, with only a few millimetres to spare.

We live in Brisbane, only 15 or so minutes from the factory.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 2

Andy & Di,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kedron caravanning.

Have a look at this link..... it should see you going in the right direction for a genny slide http://www.kedronownersgroup.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1547&hl=%2Bfridge+%2Bslide

CU down the road

• Like 2

Hi Peter

Thank you for your comments, can you tell me if the slide you have is the same or similar to the picture below.

We are also in Brisbane, well South there off in Beaudesert, if the slide you have is slimline like the photo I would be very interested, what price are you looking for. please feel free to contact me on 0411 875 576.

post-1-0-15189700-1322026005.jpg

• Like 1

We to have a 2.4 Yamaha ,can you please tell me do you run the generator on the slide .

Thanks

Hi Peter

we did run our generator on the slide, we previously had a honda/engel 1kva, we have just upgraded to the 2.4kva and as you have stated it is rather heavy so we have sort a different slide same as the one in the photo above and we will be running the yamaha on that slide too.

hope that was helpful.

Regards

Di

• Like 1

Just a suggestion/comment to the people who don't lift their generator down onto the ground to use it.

PLEASE note this only a comment & I fully appreciate that some may have difficulty lifting & lowering a heavy generator from a height.

I would be concerned with vibration on the slide assembly, the vibration possibly causing fatigue on the slide mounts & slide rails. Also the vibration being transferred through to the van, not that it is probably going to cause any problem other that discomfort & noise inside the van. Of course you would have the exhaust facing the 'outside' & not into the locker.

Cheers, cu down the road.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hi Bryan,

Can I respectfully ask , are you buying on price or for a specific purpose for this generator.....(output)?

Regards

Tony

Hi Bryan,

Only you know your power requirements, .......but you to will have to be ‘fit’ to lift up to 43.5kgs in and out of your locker.

Dry weight 37.5kgs.....with fuel 43.5kgs.

Cheers

Hi Bryan

We originally went and bought a 3.7kva generator  to run every thing including the air conditioning when up north if we needed.  How many times have we used it for this purpose?  None!!

When we have had to use it was only to recharge the batteries which cope extremely well including using the washing machine (4kg front loader) we have never had to use the air conditioner 'up north' as we find with the windows open including the front the flow through ventilation is more than enough and a 12v fan.  Any way we have now  dropped back down to  small 1kva generator to recharge the batteries and with only a third of the weight and better fuel economy and I am not busting my gut trying to lift the thing.  We also carry it in the back of the truck, not the van, less down weight on the tow ball.   Food for thought.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 2