What air compressor would I need for touring

Sunset Dreams

Hi all,

I was looking to buy a air compressor for touring. Our hope is to be able to visit as many places as our rig will allow, LC200 GXL/XC3 21' (caravan due to be built March 2016). I was thinking that I would require something in the order of a duel compressor 100% cycle type unit to inflate the eight 285/65R17 116H AT22's on the tug & planned for the rig. As I put experience before hype, I was hoping that the forum members could advise the best way to go.

Regards

Roly

Hi Roly & Janice,

A bit more info please, do you just want to pump up the occasional tyre or run air tools. What sort of 'tug' do you have, do you have space limitations?

Here's a start... http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xair+compressors+12v.TRS0&_nkw=air+compressors+12v&_sacat=0

Please note this is only a starting point, suggest you do a bit of research quality & longevity of some of these units!!!

Can I suggest that, if you don't already belong to LCOOL.org ( www.lcool.org ) you join, its a great forum free to join & there are several threads on this very subject in the 200 series section, re pump selection & mounting.

I'm also sure you will get feedback here on this forum.

Here's a link to LCOOL for the mounting bracket (when you join) http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39638

CU down the road

Hi Roly

We have always carried an ABR compressor. Check out their web site, great backup service and an Aussie Company. I looked at ARB compressors, and although they are a good unit I found them very expensive for what they claimed. www.sidewinder.com.au

Cheers

Merv

Yep,

Derek Bester @ ABR [Affordable Batteries & Radiators] www.sidewinder.com.au (not to be confused with ARB) gets my tick also as a supplier of good gear at sensible prices, not that I have had to, but I believe his warranty backup/service is something that other companies are envious of.

The dealings I have had with him have always been very prompt & courteous.

Usual disclaimer I have no affiliation with ABR other than being a happy customer.:-)

ARB are very good.. i have tig'd the appropriate fittings into an old aluminium fire extinguisher & use it as an air tank..stops the compressor cycling all the time & gives you a good supply to use the squirty nozzle. i have 2 hoes that snap together to reach the van wheels

regards Danny

We have always carried an ABR compressor. Check out their web site, great backup service and an Aussie Company. I looked at ARB compressors, and although they are a good unit I found them very expensive for what they claimed. www.sidewinder.com.au

Derek Bester @ ABR [Affordable Batteries & Radiators] www.sidewinder.com.au (not to be confused with ARB) gets my tick also as a supplier of good gear at sensible prices, not that I have had to, but I believe his warranty backup/service is something that other companies are envious of.

The dealings I have had with him have always been very prompt & courteous.

Thanks for that Merv & Tony, I had read that they were a reputable dealer & that the sidewinder was a good unit at a reasonable price. Good to hear further positives.

ARB are very good.. i have tig'd the appropriate fittings into an old aluminium fire extinguisher & use it as an air tank..stops the compressor cycling all the time & gives you a good supply to use the squirty nozzle. i have 2 hoes that snap together to reach the van wheels

Thanks Danny. I went to my local ARB dealer & looked at the ARB-CKMTP12 in the carry case with tank & accessories, nice unit. 12KGS & about $830 ouch. :unsure: Would fit into my drawer ok but the weight & smoking wallet scared me a bit :(.

Don't get me wrong guys, I really do believe in " You get what you pay for ". I just think that some of the "better" units are over priced & that maybe some of the more reasonably priced units aren't as rubbish as some think. That's why I'm asking you guys who have been there, I really do appreciate the feedback.

Was also wondering what the though was on receiver tanks, good to have or not.

Vendor:

Cheers Roly

Condition:

Hi Roly and all

I have had a Big Red Air Compressor since 2000 and used it in the Simpson Desert, on Fraser I and for the van and the Cruiser. It is in a toolbox and came with battery clamps however, I removed them and made up two fittings which can be plugged on to the compressor lead. One has the clamps and the other a plug for connection to the auxiliary battery which lives in the back of the LC100 (no room under the bonnet on the turbo diesel). I also fitted a switch in the lead so the compressor can be turned off without unplugging. Fitting an Andersen plug for connection makes sense. The Big Red has done a lot of work and has been totally reliable. They are fitted with a thermal cut-out and it works as we found on a blisteringly hot day when reinflating after leaving the Simpson. It saves cooking the compressor. It is quite light and for space reasons could be removed from its toolbox, but that is handy for the hose, lead, tyre gauge, connections, spare valves and caps etc etc. I understand Big Red became Piranha Red, and not sure what now.

Cheers, Barry

I was wondering if anyone had wired their air compressor for an Anderson plug. Is this a viable thing to do or not.

Regards

Roly

Hi Roly

That is exactly as I did and also left enough wire for a battery hook up and put another Anderson plug on that so I can join them together if needed. The last time I had to use it I used the power plug at the back (12v power to van) of the truck which gave me enough cable and hose to reach all the tyres on the van.

Cheers

Merv

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roly,

We have an onboard ARB twin air compressor with a tank in our 70 series Land Cruiser. The 50 amp fuse has blown about 6 times & one of the compressors died after excessive heat build up (replaced under warranty). To fill up eight tyres (265/75/16) takes a while and the compressor does not stop during this time. I would suggest speaking with Pirtek about hoses as they are more hardy (5m for the vehicle & another 10m for the van).

In summary, I would not purchase the ARB air compressor again.

PS The vehicle must be running while the compressor is being used.

Regards Taka

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Taka,

I am sorry that I have not replied before now but things have been a bit hectic of late. Just bought a second hand LC200 & in the process of selling up & organising a move to Bundy. Getting the ducks in line for a early retirement next year :D .

Thanks for the feedback on the ARB twin A/C unit. I think I will go with the ABR unit & fit it up as previously suggested. We still have until March next year until our rig will be built but the time is flying by so fast that we wonder if we will have finalised our wish/need list before then :unsure: . Time will tell.

Regards Roly