240V - 12V Switch - Function?

Geoff and Marion Bowden

In the right hand boot near the Solar charger controller there is a surface mounted two position switch marked 240v and 12v - looks just like a household light switch. Any advice on it's function or purpose ?? 2006 ATV Geoff new owner and learning.

A very good question as I haven't bothered with it for 8 years nor with the small 25A charger just below it.

When connecting to mains supply I have just left it on 12V.

However in installing my 200AHr Lithium battery I tried it to see what it really did and as far as I could see when all batteries are removed switching to 240V and the 25A charger allowed all the 12V circuits to work in the van.

I did not find a simple switch to switch off the solar system as when the battery was installed it appeared that when on mains power both mains and solar chargers were working on 12V and 240V selections and relying on their own controllers to regulate their supply charge.

Asking your question to Kedron did not bring a proper answer and I did comment that they should supply circuit diagrams of the electrical installations which again brought no comment.

Over to the KOG experts!

We had the 240/12 volt switch on our 2008 ATV.The purpose of the switch was to change your van lights to run off 240 volts when connected to 240v. EG caravan parks etc. When you are running lights of your solar system you switch it back to 12 volts. Ours died about 5yrs. ago Kedron disconnected the system ( somehow) and it is now redundant. As regards to the remark about Kedron not supplying a wiring diagram with the vans. Does anyone know if ANY manufacturer does?

The switch in question switches to a 12 v DC power supply to operate all the D.C units in the van when connected to 240v. That means that we can either use power from our batteries or from the converted 240v. The charger then will charge the batteries. One way or the other power is still being taken from the 240v supply. I suppose it's only advantage would be if while away the batteries had failed.

Hi Geoff and Marion

We use this swithch all the time . reason is that our battery charger has a noisy fan. So at night I disconnenct the power (240) switch to 12V and run the van of the batteries. Tried every thing to reduce noise. Next step is to find a quite charger.

Hi Leon,

We have the same problem/dilemma.

My fix, rather than going out to the front locker and flicking the switch......I just simply turn off the '240v main switch' in my case next to the fridge, before going to bed & turning back on in the morning when I need to put the kettle on.

NO dramas at all ....the silence is deafening.....lovely!

At sleepy time my head is above the charger and I find that the smooth regular hum of the fan helps me nod off. This more so, when there are other noises about (whether internal or external), interrupting the sounds of silence...

Hi

We've got a 2005 ATV. We're the second owners and only bought it a short time ago so we're novice caravanners also.

When our van is parked at home and not in use, we switch to 240 to ensure there's no battery drain from any 12V circuits.

For example, when the van's not in use and switched to 240V, we can leave the fridge door open so the fridge can air. If we left the van switched to 12V, the fridge light would be on all the time when the door is open.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Mike

Good Morning

When we picked up our Top Ender in 2007 we were told when travelling on the road to switch to 240 volts & this would make sure

all lights & water pumps were without power & that the fridge would still work as it is wired direct to batteries. This way you do not accidently loose your water while driving along the road.

Neville

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

While on mains power I have turned the bottom switch to 240 and the top 2 switches to the on position, and while travelling the opposite positions.

Monday last we were at a van park in Cessnock and there was a huge rainstorm with strong wind. While sitting it out in the van the lights in the van went out and we presumed there was a power outage in the area. However, when the storm abated, we noticed there were lights on in a nearby cabin and so called the office and a sparky came to check out the power outlets in the park. No problem with those but he found one of the circuit switches in the front boot had tripped and when it was reset, there were no lights on 240 but there were on the 12v position. Then I noticed that the Baintech 12v power supply unit was not working, and therefore no power to the 12v lights in the van. But there was 240v power to the van GPOs.

So, the lights ran directly from the batteries and the charger kept the batteries topped up.

Cause for the Baintech snuffing it was rain had been blown in through the vent directly above the Baintech, and water and electricity don't mix. Not a great position in reality for the Baintech.

Today I rang Ashley at Kedron to enquire about a replacement Baintech and he advised that they have not fitted them for some time and run the lights etc from the batteries with the charger or solar keeping the batteries charged.

Cheers

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

We have the 240/12 V switch in our 2006 van and when connected to mains power we switch to 240. this then activates the transformer fitted to bypass the batteries which i was advised was a good move to prolong battery life. I was told that batteries have a cycle life of around 40,000 cycles and bypassing the batteries for power prolongs the overall battery life.The batteries continue to be charged by the Victron 60 amp charger on 240 power. 

We replaced our batteries after 7 years which were still in working order but as we intended to be spending extended periods freedom camping thought it was best to do it before we took off. 

Geoff and Joy

I have decided to replace the power supply so that it runs the lights when on 240 and that is probably why the batteries were only recently replaced after almost 9 years. I have noticed since the power supply has not been functioning that the charger runs a lot of the time so the batteries must be cycling more frequently.

Regards

Barry  

• 2 weeks later...

I am with Neville and Kay so to speak.  At night, when we are on 240 v supply, I go to the front boot and turn the battery charger off and with it its fan.  This is a different switch to the 240/12v switch.  That leaves the 240v supply to the 240v GPO's in the van and allows the use of aircon, microwave etc., even though the batteries are not being charged.