Inverters - After Market

Zolle

How is your inverter wired?

Independent of the mains 240v circuit or connected to it?

There is 1 post on this forum indicating at the time of build an inverter was connected to the mains circuit but a 2 way switch allowed the inverter to run separated from the mains.

This is what I want to do but all the inverters seen to date have only mains socket connections so how has anyone fitting an after market inverter wired it up?

The mains isolater in my van is not near to the battery and boot probably making wiring of a 2way switch a bit difficult.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Here is what I have done.....

Our van has single beds, so we have cupboard between them. I now have a CPAP machine which needs 240v to operate so when we are free camping I need an inverter I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360822848840 (bit of an overkill to run the CPAP but it will/has capacity to run other devices)

I mounted it in the front locker above the battery charger, hard wired to battery then made up an 'extension lead' fitted/inserted it into the three pin GPO of the inverter, then drilled a 10mm hole in the 'floor' of the cupboard threaded/ran the cable through the hole & then mounted a three pin GPO on the outside of the cupboard beside my bed.

If you would like photos send me an SMS zero four one two 415466

Hi Tony

Thanks for that information those Ebay ones are certainly very attractively priced.

These are the ones that led me to ask the question, particularly the 2000W model with the capability of mains connection.

http://www.projecta.com.au/Products/Inverters/Intelli-Wave.aspx#!prettyPhoto

Cheers