Have I got he right Vehicle?

petdav30

First of all I’m new to Caravanning so excuse my ignorance where it’s blatantly obvious.  During my research I’ve visited so many forums and read so many topics related to tow vehicle versus size of Van versus legal weight requirements. So much so I’m beginning to question my decision. Initially I intended to purchase a Kedron 16ft single axle XC-3 Van and a Toyota Prado to tow it. I finally decided upon an 18ft tandem axle XC-3 which Kedron informed me averages a tare weight of 2400 kg and has an ATM of 3500 kg. Therefore, a Toyota Prado would not be suitable.  So I purchased a 2012 Toyota 200 Series Diesel LC , V8 4.5 ltr, twin turbo. Is the 200 series LC an adequate vehicle for the Van of my choice if loaded to max ATM?  - If not I may have to re-think my decision on the Van. By the way already made inquiries about a GVM upgrade for the LC.

Edited by petdav30
grammer

Petdav30, while I have no expertise in this I do know that you will be in good company with that set-up as that is the same as the vast majority of Kedron owners.  The 200 Series is a great vehicle as is the tandem XC-3.

Regards

Colin

• Like 1

Good afternoon

we have just about to go and pickup our new LC200 it has had the rear end cutoff and a canopy put on it , this has been done by Creative Conversions in Brendale , we have had the GVM upgrade done , it can be done in 2 stages , the first stage is from 3500kg to 3800kg by upgrading suspension , the second stage which is what we have done is wheel and tyre upgrade , suspension upgrade and rear axle reinforcement this takes it to 4200kg GVM with federal approval , talk to Len at Creative he can give you good honest advise 

Hi Petdav30,

We bought our new 21Ft External ATV2 (2,930 tare) and successfully towed it with our 100 Series turbo diesel with upgraded suspension until December 2010 albeit we were short on power on many occasions. We then bought a new 200 series twin turbo diesel to which we fitted airbags only and towed it on quite a few iconic roads including the Birdsville track, Oodnadatta track, Gibb River road, Outback Way, out to Carawine Gorge and the usual WA parks such as Karrajini etc. We are usually right on the 3,500kg limit and the vehicle towed it hassle free. Crossed the Nullarbor a couple of times on cruise control at the speed limit 110kph I think, passed semi's safely with more than enough power. In August 2014 we upgraded our vehicle to a new 200 series VX twin turbo diesel and kept it standard , no airbags or other upgrades. We are yet to do much off road stuff but the van sits and tows perfectly. Yes we always need to be weight conscious particularly as we have added an Oyster sat dish and an extra solar panel. Quite a few of the KOGGERS have upgraded to Silverado's, Eff trucks etc. and we probably would too if living full time in the van but IMO you will have no problems with your 200 series without upgrades with an XC3. The 200 series is by far the vehicle of choice by relatively heavy van owners such as Kedrons and Bushtrackers. I would suggest firstly tow the van with your vehicle standard before spending lots of dollars on upgrades that are IMO unnecessary unless you are intending to "Do a GallBoys".

Good Luck and looking forward to meeting you down the road somewhere.  

• Like 3

Hi Petdav30

Graeme Y has up graded his GVM of L/C but I think he can still only tow 3500 kg as I had our 100 series L/C Sahara turned into a 6x4 twin cab by Creative Conversions & it has a GVM OF 4495 Kg [still drive on car licence] but still can only tow 3500Kg. If you have to tow above this you have to get one of the Big Yank Tugs.

Neville.

Thanks everyone for providing your views and opinions, its made me feel more comfortable.  I understand no matter what I do to the LC 200 series, I can't legally pull above 3500 kg. As for the suspension, I just thought that the type of standard suspension fitted to a LC 200 series doesn't take into account that fact you're going to plonk a fair weight (legally up to 350 kg...I think) on the back end by towing a Van potentially weighing 3500 kg. So, I thought beefing it up would be a good proactive measure to prevent premature wear out or failure.

• Like 1