New Landcruiser 200 and towing

Strettman

I am about to pick up a new LC200 in 2-3 weeks time. I was hoping to get into it a little earlier, however the production in Japan has been delayed as a result of the mid April earthquakes. The big question is, how long did everybody wait till they towed their van with a new vehicle? 

I have a trip planned beginning June long weekend, so need to try and rack up some running in Ks within a 4-5 day period...

My van is only an XC3 Compact, so 2.5T loaded. 

interested to here others opinions on the matter..

Hi there Strettman

Congratulations in ordering your LC200 series.

My reply will not answer your question, but it is about towing in general.

My advice is to do some research on a Scangauge 2 and buy one.  I have fitted one, and with a bit of programming I can monitor the transmission fluid temperature. The transmission is a sealed unit, you can't even check the fluid level.

I tow in S4. If towing in D the transmission fluid temperature is usually around 95-100C, when in S4 it drops to about 65-70C. That's got to be good for the transmission; I wouldn't be without one. When in S4, it locks the torque converter, thus preventing any slippage and associated build up of heat.

There is plenty of research on scangauges on the LCool Forum.

Enjoy your new Landcruiser.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you for the replies,  I will be going very easy on the vehicle with the weight on the back early on in its life...it is great to hear that others have towed responsibly with new cars, and no major issues.

In the end I suppose it all comes down to a little bit of sympathy for all the new parts to bed in gently.

On a separate note, thanks for the tip Peter, I will be looking into a scanguage as soon as I get the vehicle sorted for towing. S4 sounds like a safe bet, particularly when new. 

Hi Srettman,

Welcome to the this forum.

I bet your like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for your new 200 to arrive!

I'm fairly sure that in the owners manual it states not to tow anything for the first 800 k's.......just so the tranny can settle in.

I think you will find that first 800 k's will be 'racked' up fairly quickly.......running around showing off your new baby to family & friends.

Enjoy ur new truck it will pull your XC with ease.

Hope to cu down the road one day.

• Like 2