Problem with solar charging

Mrs Lynn Astill

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with the solar panels or charger/controller not providing the normal input suddenly.  We have 4x135 kyocera panels and a Xantrex 40a controller/charger.   Panels are clean, but only getting about half the usual charge, ie. Between 9 and 11 amps in full sun at midday.  We used to get about 20 or more up until about a month ago.

Heading to Adelaide in a bid to get  sorted.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi Chris 

Trouble shoot your solar controller, it might be your problem and from memory I think there is a reset button & the battery terminals for corrosion.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Merv,

Thanks for your response.  I have pressed the reset button on the side a couple of times and shut the whole system down as well as that s sometimes effective too.  Battery terminals are pristine and batteries (lithium) seem to be fine.

Chris

Time for a phone call to Ash to sort out .  I wonder if you have a loose connection somewhere in the system.  It sounds strange that it happened all of a sudden and was working well before hand.

Merv

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. Been away from the forum for a long time, but visited tonight and saw your post. I couldn't ignore it, because we experienced the same issue. The four solar panels on our van were cabled into the front boot in two lots of two panels. Each pair had its own fuse.In our case the fuses were inline, spade fuses, rated at 30A each. One of the fuse holders had gotten wet somehow and the fuse had corroded away. I replaced the holder and the fuse and it solved the problem.

Hopefully, your van is configured similarly and the problem is an easy one to fix.

Cheers

Russ

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thank you all for your responses.  Russ, it appears to have been a crushed wire from the drivers side panels, but still waiting for sunshine to know for sure.  I will however re-check the fuses which we eventually found under the controller's cover just to be safe.  Panels and controller all test 100%.  Russ, it may have got wet from the vent directly above the controller as I found water in both vents after heavy driving rain.  I have now blocked them.

Thanks again,

Chris

• Like 1