HEMA HN7 Navigator

Chris

We bought a HN7 unit prior to the current trip, in anticipation of remote area travelling. My fear was that the unit would be too complex to use.

Well, overall, it is a superb piece of equipment. It is powerful in terms of its ability to navigate to places or co-ordinates, comes pre-loaded with maps (in our case anyway) and Camps Australia 8 sites. There are two separate sets of functions. One is an "on road" navigator which can be used in towns and cities including rural settings. The other is the 4WD functions. For isolated tracks this second navigator is potentially a life saver.  For many Kedron owners this could be a tremendous asset.

Co-ordinates can be input either directly on the screen or downloaded from appropriate files and navigated to efficiently. There is a "breadcrumb trail" feature so you can re-trace your steps if needed.

The HN7, the latest model, has a large screen to the unit and you can tap on the screen with a finger or the provided stylus, which ever you prefer.

The downside is the complexity in getting to terms with it. I have made it my mission to learn as much as I can, and have found the online tutorials are a great help. Not that I have advanced very far.... :D The manual is written in simple and clear English. I downloaded the manual to my iPad so I have a larger version of it handy in the car if I need it.

I can't tell you the number of people we have met while travelling who have the unit but only use it in the most basic form. Clearly it is too complex for many people.

And Hema support staff are truly wonderful. They talk you through any issues very patiently.
(The usual statement of not having any business connection with Hema applies)

• Like 2

Chris, I have to agree with your statement about the Hema support staff.  I've had a Hema HN6 for 2 or 3 years now and I have never had a problem that Robert and the team could not help me with.  The Knowledgebase on the support site is excellent as well.

I'd love to upgrade to the HN7, but there's nothing wrong with my HN6, so I can't justify the expense - damn!

• Like 1