Gary Junction Road

Chris

We have just arrived in Alice Springs after completing a crossing on the Gary Junction Road (GJR), from West to East. We enjoyed superb weather and pretty good road conditions. The road just after the turnoff from the Marble Bar-Nullagine Woody Woody road was rocky and we had a badly damaged tyre from a sharp rock; this was only 10 minutes after a tyre check so it must have happened very quickly. No other hassles mechanically or any other punctures. (That was our first puncture in years of travel).

Up until Kunawarritji the road was wide and in great condition, but narrowed after that community.

This was before the road narrowed - nice and wide and smooth

IMG_4578 small.jpg

Afterwards:

Track (5) small.jpg

After the NT border the road was much smoother and again wider, due to increased traffic between the communities at that end no doubt, and due to being recently graded.  We think the NT spends more on road maintenance than WA....

The stores had a good selection of foodstuffs, if somewhat expensive but you expect that. I bought frozen croissants at Kunawarritji! Made a delicious breakfast. Fuel was readily available. Punmu was the cheapest at $3 a litre.  Expect to pay about $3.40 at some communities.

The pick of the camps is of course Jupiter Well. This is a lovely spot and we spent several days there in the company of a Caravaners Forum member, who actually had a printed copy of my last trip report for the GJR with her! 

• Like 3

Peter, I am feeling happier now, as on the last day of the trip, just out of Alice Springs, the fridge stopped working.  It took two days to get it fixed, but it is working well now.  A broken capillary tube, whatever that is.  And it then needed regassing which is a finicky business apparently.

we will be here until 18 July as I have work commitments here.

• Like 2

Lea, it had its moments.  Like the two days this week getting the fridge fixed.  When the van had to go into the workshop it made me realise how reliant we are on our home on wheels while travelling.  We had to fill in the day until time to pick it up, some five or six hours later.