XC-3 Compact & Nissan Navara

Vulcan

Hi, folks.

My wife and I are looking at upgrading from the camper trailer to a Kedron in the next two years. We have done so much looking around (visiting businesses and multiple journeys to caravan shows), reading and researching, and have come to the conclusion that it has to be a Kedron. I guess, it's helped by the fact that where I live in Brisvegas (when I actually get home once in a while!) is the next burb over from Brendale, so within easy access of the factory. I want a strong van which will handle the corrugations of the Cape, Birdsville Track and the Gibb, and the Kedron vans are obviously amongst the best on the market in this regard. Luv the DVDs as well!

Okay, here's my question. We are looking at getting a Kedron XC-3 Compact with the single axle. I currently have a 2013 Nissan Navara ST-R 2.5 litre common rail diesel with manual transmission. Max tow weight is 2800kg which fits in nicely with the Compact's 2500-3000kg GVM. I've done the calculations on ball weight etc and on paper it seems that the Navara is okay to tow the Compact. That's the theory, anyway...but I'm wanting to be practical about this and get some advice from owners. 

So, can any of you forum folks let me know what you think about this cunning plan of mind, and perhaps, there is someone around who is doing what I am planning, and owns the Compact and a Navara.

In advance - thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Hi Vulcan,

Welcome to the wonderful world of the KOG

I personally can't answer your queries as we have a bigger van and tug, but there are quite a few XC compacts out there now with knowledgeable & friendly owners who I'm sure will assist you.

CU down the road?

• Like 3

Tony, thanks for the warm welcome. I'm keen to know what advice people who've been lapping the country for some time can give me. Obviously, we are still in the planning and preparation phase, so any words of wisdom are most welcome. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

Live long and prosper.

We have had a 16' single axel XC3 since Sep 2015 we have done about 10,000 Km in that time towing with our 2013 NW Pajero. We were particular when ordering to keep the ATM below 2.5 tonne and the tow ball weight below 250kg. Kedron were pleased to help us achieve these weights. Typically before a trip our tow ball weight is about 200kg to 220Kg with full water tanks and fully loaded. The expensive 200AH Lithium battery option helped a lot with keeping overall weight and tow ball weight under control. The single axel 16' tows legally and tracks well behind the Pajero.

We originally wanted Prado rims and tyres as they were the closest to the Pajero tyres in profile. However, due to the need to ensure a good safety margin on load for a single axel on Kedron's advice we were obliged to have Landcrusier size rims and tyres. We also started with one spare to see how the weights and handling worked out, after two weeks at the first service we got another tyre. So we now have two caravan spares, which also fit a Landcrusier.

We have had no problems towing with the Pajero, both on road and off road. We are now both retired and plan to do a lot more travelling and intend to keep our great little van for many more years. However, have decided to upgrade our tow to a GX LC200 which we hope to pick up around October, we like the Pajero a lot and it towed the 2.5t very well including up steep long hills like Cunningham's Gap and Thuderbolts way. 

• Like 2

G'day Yabbie. Good to hear about your set up. The advantage of the XC -3 Compact is its weight, or lack thereof. Your old Pajero is bigger than my Navara, being a 3.2 litre, as opposed to the Navara's 2.5 litre motor. That's what I really want to talk to owners about. I guess my tug is in the same ball park, but I just want to be sure. I've got a couple of years up my sleeve if it works out to not be enough...but I do like my Nissan, even if it is on the basic side of technology. Again, thanks for the reply. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, folks.

Seeing I've had lots of views but few replies, I should broaden the question...

Since we're going for the XC-3 Compact, what do you suggest I should be thinking about pulling it with?

Cheers!

John aka Vulcan

Hi Vulcan

Based on our experience and that of many of our friends, I suggest you look at a tow vehicle that will comfortably tow 3500kg and has a ball weight of 350kg.

Like others, we started off with a camper trailer, we towed it with a early 80 series Landcruiser. Getting our first Kedron in 2003 we upgraded to a 100 series and the 3500kg towing capacity, and in 2011 to a 200 series.

We know quite a few people, who like you, who have purchased a smaller caravan, about the size on the compact Kedron you have ordered. Then within a year or so, as their experience grows and their needs changes, they go for a larger caravan. At this point they have to upgrade the tow vehicle to compensate the weight of the new van; this can be a costly exercise.

Most caravanners, Kedron or not, who spend months (even years) in their caravans have vans around 21ft or more; purely for the 'liveability' and room to move. Hence they go for the larger tow vehicle. The most common tow vehicles seen around caravan parks are Landcruisers.

If you like your Kedron as much as we do, you might want to upgrade in the future. Buying a tow vehicle that will comfortably tow 3500kg in the first place, might be money well spent in the long run.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pete, 

Thanks for the advice. In all reality, we won't be looking at upgrading (yeah...famous last words!) - shelling out the 70 Grand for the XC-3 Compact will push the envelope on the budget. In addition, I think smaller 16-footer is just about all we'll be able to accommodate in the space we have at home. My plan is to get SWMBO and myself into a factory tour at Kedron and ask them directly about tow vehicles for the Compact...the boys might send me packing off to Toyota...who knows?

Cheers!

Vulcan

• Like 1

Hi Vulcan

That's fair enough. Yes, budget is important, even us pensioners have restraints!!! 

It's a good idea to have a factory tour, and I'm sure you will enjoy it. The Gall Boys and all the staff at Kedron are very approachable and pretty easy to get on with, and I'm sure they will try and answer your question regarding tow vehicles.

Ask lots of questions and ask if you can see similar vans going through the production line and also ask what are they going to be towed with.

Please enjoy the experience, they are just great people to deal with. 

Cheers

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again. 

I contacted Kedron and received a very nice reply from Glen Gall.

With regards to the towing question, you might have a bit more breathing space than first thought, as the Compacts are limited to an ATM of 2500kg, and the 2013 D22 Nissan Navara 2.5 litre common rail turbo diesel, with a heavy duty towbar has a braked towing capacity of 3000kgs by the reports. The Compact loaded, should still well allow for loading of the vehicle (while considering the amount of vehicle accessories that's been fitted) within it’s GVM, and guessing the towball limit is 300kgs, and the Compact should be well within that as well. Power-wise your vehicle should be very capable, and excluding any unknown factors, can’t see why you would need upgrade vehicles to tow one of the Compacts at the moment.

So, for general info to all, it looks like the D22 Navara is adequate to tow the XC-3 Compact.

Cheers!