Fix poor radio reception

Geoff and Pam Ward

Are you annoyed by the poor radio reception of the radio installed in your Kedron?  I was, and hopefully I've fixed it.  I replaced the factory-fitted short aerial with a 1.65 metre marine AM/FM antenna.  It was hard to find but Rural Industries P/L in Queensland (ask for Todd  - sales@ruralindustries.com.au) tracked one down for me.  Price was less than $100.

See photos attached.  I enlarged the hole inside the enclosed area above range hood and placed a 3mm x 100mm x 70mm aluminium plate on the inside of the external cladding to give the aerial a bit more support.

It seems to work ok but I won't know for sure until I go bush again and try to pick up the ABC.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Geoff

P1070968_r.jpg

P1070969_r.jpg

P1070970_r.jpg

P1070971_r.jpg

Geoff and Pam,

Yes an elegant permanent fix. I too had had enough of poor radio reception one afternoon in the middle of the Northern Territory and formed up a coil (about six turns) of light gauge fencing wire which I slipped over the short ferrite impregnated whip antenna Kedron had supplied standard and attached five meters of insulated wire I was carrying in "spares" with a small alligator clip and tied the other end to a sympathetic tree branch. It worked a treat and the AM ABC signal came booming in. It has been working this way now for four years. If Kedroners go with this $2.50 solution don't forget to take down your aerial before you move on next morning. I leave the fencing wire coil in place on the aerial.

Grahame and Wendy

I too just used a piece of old Telegraph wire that I found along the Oodnadatta track 5 years ago. Its about 1m long. It works a treat and it may even be heritage listed :P  ........... cost - $0

• Like 1

Hi Grahame,

I also like Steve, used a bit of wire.....an old coat hanger wrapped around the flimsy rubbery aerial......definitely not heritage listed....lol

Travel safe!

• Like 1