Qld roads dept

Steve and Kez

Did anyone happen to see the segment on a current affairs on channel 9 on Friday night regarding the Qld roads and traffic authority pulling over caravaners and checking weights and tow capacities....................... very interesting and rather amusing at times as some people are sooo bloody stupid or just not interested in doing the right thing.

In one of the shots there was a Kedron TE3 or 5.

There were many unhappy campers even though they only issued warnings on this occasion, but did go on to say that from here on in, fines will be issued 

It looks like the fun is about to start ...... giddy up

Had to happen! All the rumours may be coming to fruition finally! Will have a lot of sweaty drivers on the road in QLD.

Main Roads Enforcements is only a minor annoyance compared to the next step.

When Insurance companies realise they will reneg on a lot of claims due to illegal towing.

I have tried for many years to assist, but unfortunately some dont want to know the facts.

The worst of it all is Caravan Manufacturers are not held under any Chain of Responsibility.

Safe travels to all.

• Like 1

About bloody time...........I am sick and tired of the idiots out there on the roads towing  vastly overweight rigs and I am looking forwards to some infringements for not having towing mirrors as well.  We have been close to being  ran off the road on two occasions because of no towing mirrors.  "I'm sorry I didn't see you"   came back on the cb on one occassion, the other was mute even though there was a cb aerial fitted.

Happy trails

Merv

24 minutes ago, Danny and Sue said:

I'm 100% with merv...

bloody awful what people do with a ute because it says. "3500 kg" towing...

cheers danny

I dont understand the comment "bloody awful what people do with a ute because it says. 3500 kg towing"

No matter what type of vehicle if it is plated at 3500 kg, the manufacturer is stating that vehicle as it sits is safe to tow 3500 kg.

Am I missing something, happy to listen and learn.

Safe travels

You must know of the term GCM......

just because it's plated 3500kg towing doesn't mean you can tow 3500kg with a boat,outboard,fridge,350kg on the ball ,extra fuel etc etc etc..on the tow vehicle.

to tow 3500kg some Can Carry VERY little weight on the tug..

some of these tow vehicles with 3500kg towing are way over their  safe towing limit...

do a bit of a search on real tow weighs / capacity 

cheers Danny 

The "scalies" as we call them have been working the Qld roads for a number of years. We have been pulled over twice towing a 20ft ATV2 with our 100 series. The first time was at Cunnamulla where they got us on the way in and then tried to put us back over the scales two days later on the way out. The second time we were pulled up was in Kilcoy where they also had a few trucks pulled over. On both occasions we didn't have any problems.

I am only too happy to have these guys pull over every van on the road to weed out the few that overload their units as it can only make it a safer place for not only fellow vanners but also the mums and dads with young families in their family car.

I'm all for a separate licence for towing a caravan which should include a segment on weights and the behaviour of vans that have the load poorly distributed.As we all know this can easily lead to erratic behaviour of the van under different conditions.

I ALWAYS put our rig over a public weighbridge before a big trip so I have a good idea of the weight of the van and the tow vehicle. It makes for peace of mind and safe travels.

Beejay41

• Like 1