Water tank set ups

The Goodys

G'day everybody we have ATV2 family van and I was just wondering if anybody has change the way the 3 water tanks are set up and monitored? At the moment mine is set up as followed the rear tank is a stand alone tank and correct me if I'm wrong the shower and toilet supply water? And the two front tanks are connected so the balance out and act as one, for is drinking, hot water and sink supply? The water monitor has only two water levels no.1 is the front tanks and no.2 the rear tanks? Now I was thinking of seperating them all and putting taps on the supply. So I can keep a track on levels and easily conserve water. What are your thoughts. 

Cheers

Hi Goody's, Our van is set up with 3x100 litre tanks with separate inputs for each tank and then each tank is individually monitored. One tank is for drinking water and the other two are for showers/wash up/toilet/hot water. The water tank has a stand alone pump and the other two go through a separate pump. Each tank has a separate input and output valve to control the flow of water when they are being filled and when we are drawing water from them so we always know with a reasonable degree of accuracy the situation with all the tanks.

No doubt the boys in Ashley's service department can give you the right advice on this and if you are in the area they can easily carry out any modification you require. You will find them to be very helpful.

Hi to the Goody's,

I too have an ATV2, it is six years old and I have the same tank monitoring system as you describe. However your description of the tank usage seems a little confused. The two main tanks (in mine 86L ea) are connected together, have separate pipes coming out to the filling manifold and have a single five step LED light indication on the monitoring panel. These main tanks supply cold and hot water to the sink and shower and external tap. The rear tank is 63L, has it's own filler pipe coming out to the filler manifold, and has it's own five step LED light indication. It supplies only the bubbler outlet over the sink. This tank was originally meant to be a drinking water tank. So the van had two functions one was the main water supply and the second was drinking water - two functions, two indicators. The Thetford toilet we have has it's own water supply. When we are travelling we only use bottled water for drinking to avoid stomach upsets so we tend to use the small rear tank as backup, rinsing off dishes etc. We have used the system for six years and found it to be quite satisfactory.

A couple of tips. 1. The bubbler is supplied via a bayonet fitted filter under the sink, it is a bugger to get at and when the filter blocks that supply stops. Carry a spare filter.

2. To keep your water tanks clean always use a coarse filter when filling up and when parking the van up for a while put two teaspoons of Sodium Metabisulphite ( a sterilizer used in beer brewing) in each tank. Mix it in a jug, pour it down a hose and blow it into the tank via the filler manifold. Works a treat.

Grahame & Wendy   

Hi Goodys

Our earlier model ATV had a water tank setup the same as yours except our Thetford has its own water supply. To assist with reducing ball weight when/if necessary, Kedron separated the two front tanks so that while they use a common pump, I can select which one to fill and which one to draw from. A new gauge was fitted by Kedron so each tank can be monitored. It was a very neat job and works well. There are two taps near the pumps under the fridge to select which of the house tanks is to be used.

Bas    

Hi Beejay, can you isolate the 2 front tanks from each other? and have three gauges? If so what breed of gauge do you have? Cheers

Ok yep our dunny has its own water my bad haven't had it long and haven't even used the dunny yet hahah. Righto Bas sounds like what I'm looking for I might have to call the guys at kedron and see if they will do a diy kit or some more info on what they did?  

Cheers

Hi Graheme & Wendy I'm going to look in to the filtration system as to see if it needs updating to something a bit more user friendly and redly available in the supermarkets or Bunnings if needs be? And I'm going to set up a bucket filter so when I'm pumping out of creeks and the likes on those more remote camp spots as well. And thank you for the tip on longterm storage of the tanks will be trying that one out.

Would you sugest leaving the tanks full for long term storage?

cheers

Hi Goodys,

Storing with full tanks ?. Well I do not store with full tanks as I am on tank water, so the bacteria count in my unconditioned water will be up. Also the Sodium Metabisulphite I suggested to you works better if it is more concentrated. So I pump out to about a quarter full before I add the SM. You really need to take the van around the block to slosh the SM around in the tank after loading it.

Grahame

Hi Goodys,

Just logged on after a short absence. Our control unit has 3 separate monitors. The drinking water is at the rear of the van. When we fill the tanks we can direct  water to any tank through individual in-line taps located under the fridge then when we want to pump water from the front two tanks we have separate taps under the sink which share the same pump. The system was put together by the great guys at Kedron. I note I mentioned toilet in my earlier post but it has its own water supply and isn't part of the system.

Brian