Lithium Install in Progress

Chris

Well, we have finally decided to go for a 520ah lithium install in our van. Readers here may recall that the issue was what size install was likely to be best for us. We dithered between a 400 ah or 520ah system. Currently we have 480ah of AGM batteries, complemented by 520 watts solar on the roof and a portable 120 solar panel.

We decided to go for 520 as it fits the boot cavity where the old batteries were, and we think it is better to have more than less. We have a capacity to charge them.

We are boosting the solar panels and ordered another 200 watts I think...

The van went over to Mannum today on its holiday resort rejuvenation and will have its new system ready soon we hope. I will report on the progress.
  • Like 1

Hi, Chris. 

Given the current price of lithium batteries, this must be going to cost you and arm and a leg. Being into electronics myself, I can appreciate all the benefits, but is it worth the cost? 

Your thoughts?

Vulcan

Ha Vulcan, you are probably right.  It is costing an arm and leg!

but we made a decision some time ago that when the current AGM batteries were aging we would replace them with the LiFePO4 batteries.  In recent times their price has escalated of course....

Altho' not on the road permanently we do go away for longish periods each year and would love to have the extra capacity of the lithiums.  And the weight saving, as you say.  And the more efficient charging.

i would like to think it will add value to the van but that is probably not going to be the case.....

Hi Chris we or I should say Terry installed a 600 amp system into our top ender last May . Took him a lot longer than quoted but he had to redo our wiring from panels to batteries plus shift and installed more panels . We had to have the system tweeted via laptop twice to set the correct settings now very happy with the extra power available.

Yes cost was an arm and a leg but the result is fantastic you will never have to worry about conserving your power output

Terry knows his stuff .

John

Edited by John and Jo

John and Jo, we are certainly impressed by Terry's knowledge and experience with lithiums.  We have friends whose system was installed by him and it works beautifully..  we also met up with another van in WA whose install was done by Terry and he was very happy indeed.