Number Plate Height

GrantCarol

I also posted this in the Financial Member's Forum:

I'm wondering if anyone else is aware of this?  I heard a few people say that the maximum height of the number plate on your caravan (in NSW at least) is not to exceed 1.4 metres.  Now, as we know the mounting of the plate on most, if not all Kedrons, is noticeably higher.  The reason, I'm told, for the 1.4 metre maximum is purely and simply for the constabulary who sit in their cars on the side of the road photographing all and sundry who pass for rego checks, etc.  Apparently anything higher than 1.4 metres can't be photographed as it's too high, and we all know that means just one thing, the government could be missing out on revenue!!  (Of course this is all about road safety not revenue raising but I digress!)

Has anyone been pulled over by the boys in blue and told they need to drop the number plate to a 'reasonable' height, or worse, been hit with a fine?  

I'm sure the number plate mounting location on our van is, like many / most / all of you, above 1.4 metres.

A simple solution to the problem is to order and place a bicycle rack number plate down on the bumper, problem solved.  This topic was done to death on more than one of the caravan/explore oz forums months ago.

If you are travelling through a State other than the one where your vehicle was registered the registration requirements of the home State apply.

Kedron made a kit up to lower the standard height of their number plates down to the number under the spares.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 2

Yes this topic got a fair workout on various fora and Facebook sites.  See http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58145&hilit=Number+plate

Kedron are aware of the issue and are now locating the plates appropriately.. we moved ours down to the bumper bar between the two spare tyres, with wiring and the little illuminating light above it.  then we ordered a number plate from a commercial firm which read "Top Ender" and put that over the old site, to cover the screw holes etc.  I had a photo of it all somewhere and if I find it I will post here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Yes this topic got a fair workout on various fora and Facebook sites.  See http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58145&hilit=Number+plate

Kedron are aware of the issue and are now locating the plates appropriately.. we moved ours down to the bumper bar between the two spare tyres, with wiring and the little illuminating light above it.  then we ordered a number plate from a commercial firm which read "Top Ender" and put that over the old site, to cover the screw holes etc.  I had a photo of it all somewhere and if I find it I will post here.

Chris, many thanks for the info.  We've had our van fewer than 12 months and this is one of the issues that's cropped up (like the 'rated shackles') that we are now aware of albeit some time after the majority of discussion.  No doubt there are other people, like us, who are blissfully unaware of this and other issues, the good thing is that you and others are able to point us in the right direction for answers.   Kedron is sending us a bracket to go between the spare tyres so we shouldn't be too far off having this problem rectified.  BTW, where did you get your 'Topender' plate?

Yes GrantnCarol, the forum is a treasure trove of great advice and helpful people!  We have certainly benefitted from it over the years.

This is the site we used for the plate:  http://www.numberplates4fun.com/

And at at the time, Val wrote these instructions on how he did it.

"I made the bracket out of some sheet iron I had. The wiring actually comes from the rear clearance light at the top back right hand corner. I had the vanity cupboard out at the time and was able to connect into the wiring there and then pass it down behind the toilet. It happened to be a convenient way. I could not see where I could easily get into the wiring because it goes through the frame and under the cladding. Might be worth contacting Kedron for their advice."

• Like 1

I think Merv is correct on the home state comment. We have been on the road for 9yrs.now inc. a large amount of time in NSW and never been chatted about it.

• Like 1

Has anyone had Kedron fit the bracket etc, just finding the approx. cost and what it looks like, not all rear carriers are the same.

Also if we get Kedron to send the bracket, please advise the easiest way to wire up.

Thankyou

WP_20161129_09_55_49_Pro[1].jpg

Gary 

Please find attached the relocation that "Kedron" have recently carried out.

1. Removed the plate and installed pop rivets and painted same.

2. Removed plate light. Installed reflector to cover light cable hole and installed reflector to other side to balance out visually.

3. Lengthened light cable to come out through the checker panel covered with stainless steel Cowell, cable tied the cable in split conduit to new location.

4. Installed new bracket and reinstalled the number plate.

I had to relocate the spare to the left hand side for them to install the bracket in the center, this gives me the option of an additional spare if required.

I trust this is of some assistance.

DSC_0553.JPG

DSC_0554.JPG

DSC_0555 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0556 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0557 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Jim,

Thankyou for all the time you went to, to  explain how to reattach the new bracket and light.

Sometimes a little hard to get things explained and done at the end of the camel trail ???

Much appreciated

Regards

Gary

Hi all,

I've read this post with interest as to date I have not made any changes to my number plate but would like to make the following comments;

Firstly I spoke to Kedron 3-4 months ago about this problem, they gave me a bracket the same as Jim has installed, but my research has revealed that in QLD at least this fix is more illegal than the problem it is trying to fix.

The number plate is clearly obstructed by the spare tyre, in my case by two spare tyres.

I will cut and paste below extracts from QLD government web site supporting my theory.

This information came from the same page Jim previously posted.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/numberplate/replace-change/index.html#requirements

Legible number plates are essential to ensure accurate identification of vehicles and this is based on a community need to trace stolen vehicles and those vehicles involved in crime and traffic incidents such as red light and speed camera offences.

You can be fined if your plate details are not clear due to a drilled hole, cover or a frame or for not replacing damaged or illegible number plates.

The characters on a number plate must be visible from 20m away at any point within an arc of 45 degrees from the surface of the plate, above or to either side of the vehicle. Plates must also be not more than 1.3m above ground level. This is shown in the diagrams below.

numberplatetrailer.png

Secondly;  Only last week I caught the end of a call on the John Laws radio program where the caller had done what Chris has done, as this program originates from NSW I can only assume the caller originated from that state.

In his situation he had changed the position of his primary number plate but replaced the old one with a plate reading "OLD FART".

He was pulled over by police, and fined $415.00 and 3 points for having two number plates on the back of his van.

He was not happy but was warning listeners of his experience.

Blinky.

The fix that Kedron has done for me is legal as per the requirements from the main roads as it is not obstructed from 20L/M from behind nor obstructed from the 20L/M at the 45% angle of sight and is within the 1.3L/M height limit on my van.

Have you tried moving your spare's apart?

The only problem that I may have is if the Main Roads measure the van length, this then would raise the issue of where to mount the spare wheel, if it is deemed to be over length.

Kedron are at present seem to be installing the bracket to new vans.

• Like 1