MITCHELL PLATEAU WESTERN AUSTRALIA

GGWA47

Has anyone towed a TE 3 into the Michell falls area in the last 12 months

We were up there in August 2016 and the Gibb was pretty rough with the van(TE) on the back, at times incredibly bad that we snapped off the 3g antennae at the base on the rear of the van.  We spoke to a number of people about the road up to Mitchell Falls and were advised not to attempt it at the time with the van.  The road up to Drysdale from the Gibb turn off was ok but bad in sections, from there to the Mitchell Falls turn off was bloody rough and from the turn off into the Falls took one couple 7 hours just to get there (normally a two hour trip) and then they had to get back.  It will all boil down to the road conditions at the time and what information you can gather when you are up there.  The road condition is constantly changing with use and weather.  Good luck, I believe that it is a fantastic place to visit but we were not prepared to destroy the van.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 2

I agree with everything Merv has said, we went there in 2014 and left our van at Drysdale station for 3 nights, went to Mitchell falls and Kalumburu and just used the awning on side of chev with a mossie screen clipped on to it and a self inflating mattress, was a good experience but because of how rough the road was I am glad we left the TE there. They are a tough van but some times a little common sense can help.

Kakadu

• Like 1

Thanks for the information has anyone have any phone number of the rangers station or contact details .

This is the FB site that I get updates on - The Gibb River Road - Kimberley, Western Australia. This site usually gives daily updates on what is going on with the general area and suggest it would be a good place to ask any questions when your trip gets closer.

• Like 1

We did this in June 2015 and although the Gibb River Road was good at that time we found the road to Drysdale Station was pretty bad, managed to break the door to the washing machine.  Presume it was one bump to many and the washing machine has taped the door and we found it in pieces in the van.  Just remember to tighten everything during the trip.  Our kitchen tap also came apart (something we had never thought to tighten previously).

Worse section was Drysdale to Mitchell Falls.  Depends when they grade the road.  Might be worth ringing the council to find out.  We used our tent whilst at Mitchell Falls after the previous roughness I was glad we did.  Even in the car it took us longer than we would have liked but well worth the effort.

I have included 3 photos which show the condition of the road.

- First section shows the constant corrugations you will find.  Moving to the other side of the road offers little relief

- Section to Mitchell River shows another section and its condition.  Dust to be expected but rocks and corrugation on this section.

- Close to end shows the condition as you near the end of the journey, very pretty but also corrugated road is narrow and goes up and down just requires you to be careful so you go at a slower speed.

close to the end.JPG

first section including dingo.JPG

section to mitchell river_1.JPG

• Like 2

This was a short reply to the same question on another forum and I thought it wise that I post it here for all those who may be contemplating the trip with their van.

The short answer GG is if they did, they shouldn't have :O. Caravans are no longer permitted on the Mitchell Plateau Road past the King Edward River campground, which is an ideal place to stay, and leave caravans for a day trip or overnight tenting at the Falls campground.

Cheers

Merv