dismart

GVM and tow upgrades

Well done. It does take some time and effort but it feels good to be fully compliant. Happy travels.

Hi Bryan,

Any vehicle registered in Australia will/would have to comply with ADR’s (Australian Deaign Rules) so if your asking about ‘attaching points’ ......the vehicle will/should be compliant.

If your talking/asking about connecting to the ‘attaching points’ ......could I suggest you go back to the beginning of this thread and follow it through.

Should you have any questions or queries........PLEASE ask.

Cheers

CU down the road

It’s maybe a good question if your attachment point on your vehicle are small then you may need to fit a set of hammer locks first then rated shackles. 

Our 200 series have rather large holes and I am using 3.2 t shackles. I believe that I need 4 t ones but hey enough is enough I recon.

Hi all

This is going to throw one hell of a spanner in the works for those considering an upgrade.

New National Rules from the 1st June no more GVM upgrades by second stage manufacturers, the original manufacturers rating is final. 
Prexisting approved modifications are grandfathered, so no problems there.

10.6 The towing capacity of a light vehicle expressed as Gross Combination Mass (GCM) rating or Rated Towing Capacity or Maximum Braked Towing Mass rating must not exceed the value set by the first stage manufacturer. Second stage manufacturers are not permitted to increase the towing capacity as part of an SSM IPA that results in a GVM upgrade.  (Courtesy of another interested forum)

Cheers

Merv

Merv, I saw this. I am glad I completed the upgrade when I did. From memory, I think pre 2016 200 series did not have a combined mass plated, not sure if it was stated elsewhere. 

There is considerable discussion on this elsewhere (as you would expect).  Caravaners forum, apparently Australia’s largest caravanning forum, has a discussion active at the moment.

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=77218

it would be good to hear Tony’s views on this topic.

Been trying to decipher the discussions on the other forums. 

What about the second stage 4 tonne tow upgrade which we have , is this also as well as the GVM upgrade still legal ? Prior June 1 ?

Hi John & Jo

From what I can understand those fitted prior to Ist June will be legal.  

Cheers

Merv

• Thanks 1

Thanks Merv , whilst I am happy with that ,  makes me wonder though, if it’s deemed not to be safe As of June 1, why is our upgrade ok ? 

You would think that it would have to be for all vehicles if it’s not safe .Doesnt make sense to me .

I am very happy with the upgrades. 

I just sent a query to Lovells to see if they can clarify where we stand? Will Let you know their response.

cheers

• Confused 1

Any news on this ?

Not yet, I will follow up. There is some information on the Caravaners Forum site quoting an SA  transport official stating that this only applies to the pre first registration which comes under Aust Gov regulations. State Gov will still be able to carry on with their own schemes post registration. Will be interesting to see where this leads.

cheers

There has been a recent update on this by a circular.
Click on “what’s new”.  

“The revised circular applies to new applications and new amendments to existing Identification Plate Approvals (IPAs). The Circular will not affect the existing IPAs held by the second stage manufacturers”.

It seems the upgrades already undertaken are 100% legal.